Is it time for a round the world?

Discussion in 'SMD4 (Star MegaDO #4)' started by tommy777, Aug 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Folks,

As most of you can count :p, we're coming up on SMD #5 in 2013.

I was just having a discussion with our dear friends at the United charter department about the idea of doing a round the world next fall. Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'll do it, just trying to check the interest and see if the price will make it doable.

Program idea:

Plane, PS, new config with 26C/8TC/Y+52/Y44

Leave from SFO on a Friday

Visit: Honolulu, Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, Singapore, Bangkok, Dubai, Cairo, Istanbul, Stockholm, Frankfurt

Arrive back at JFK the following Sunday

1. would you be interested

2. how much would you be willing to pay for C/TC/Y+/Y

It will earn UA miles. 75K for BF, 50K for TC and Y+ 30K for Y EQM and RDM + Elite bonus

Play ball!

BonnieSEA, Seacarl, pnoeric and 11 others like this.
  2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You enjoy nothing more than putting people into a fervor.

BonnieSEA, pnoeric, viguera and 12 others like this.
  3. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the one hand, it sounds super exciting. On the other hand, it'd be a shame (in my book) to go to such awesome destinations and see virtually nothing (we'd have very little time at each destination.) On the third hand, I'd want BF for such a long itin, and I'm afraid the cost would be through the roof... (Yeah, I know I'm not answering the question here :))

So, unsure. Thanks for working on this Tommy, sounds thrilling... but not too sure how realistic it will turn out to be. Can't wait to hear more though :)

Seacarl, KOA, Travelsavant and 9 others like this.
  4. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree, I am ok with the pace of the current MegaDos but if I do an around the world flight I will need to be on that trip for at least a month or 2.

5. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it sounds great, but I concur with the comments re: time. One week is not enough and 1-2 months should be adequate if it was really a vacation. Because after my first 'do, I needed a (teeny-tiny) vacation :eek:
    I'd want BF as well, but couldn't see paying more than $10k for a seat...

KOA, Travelsavant, From NYC and 4 others like this.
  6. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, United wants their plane back pretty darn quickly and it also costs a pretty penny to rent it. Also, folks need to get back to work as well.

The DOs are usually a week long historically. This years is starting on Sunday for half of the people participating ending in Chicago on Saturday. For the folks only doing the domestic, it starts Tuesday and ends Saturday.

7. smitty06

smitty06 Silver Member

Status Points:
    10K for BF/7500 for TC/ 5K E+/4K Y

8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes
    Y = $2,000

(yes I know that is low, but thats my price point, and probably 2* the price I'd pay for any elective coach flight, it might be 3* my highest priced flight to date)

9. 767300ER

767300ER Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting idea :cool:
    Why not?

1 week is what it takes to do this SMD for those doing the TATL and the Charter so it is doable. Longer period brings many issues for those who have jobs etc... Many of us don't care about going to HKG for a weekend so 7 days RTW is not a problem.

SMD's have never been intended for tourism so the idea is to fly, fly a lot, collect miles, see great places, meet nice people and spend time doing behind the scene tours.

6.5k BF
    3.5k TC
    2.7k E+
    2.2k Y

What type of plane are you looking at?
    767-400ER again?

10. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tommy said new p.s. config so that's a two-class 757.

Travelsavant and jbcarioca like this.
  11. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    As a point of reference, this years charter has two legs, a total flying time of 6 hours and 30 minutes and costs 999 in coach. You earn 5K EQM on this years charter.

If you add the European flights and the charter you end up at a total cost of almost 2100USD for this years DO.

Of course, there won't be any international portion for the potential RTW DO

Just to put things in perspective, total flying time for the RTW DO would be 48 hours and 35 minutes and you'll earn 30.000 EQM.

12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. Yes.
    2. I will start saving now.
    3. I will leave an entire swath of months free for this.
    4. Money? It will happen.

lrluis, KOA, Travelsavant and 2 others like this.
  13. Murman

Murman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, let's do it. I am on board for the new challenges it brings. I am sure each of the stop points would put on a great receptioin to break up so much air time. Heck, if done right, we could live on the plane and shower at the clubs, no need even for the usual hotels. imagine the possibilities. Make it happen Tommy, you have my support.

Travelsavant, jbcarioca and tommy777 like this.
  14. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can I throw a spanner in the suggestion... ;)

Why not make it 'Down Under' do, and do Asia/Australia/New Zealand. It seems to be that AU/NZ are 'dream' destinations for all Yankees (just ask Oprah!) and surely that's gotta be a good spot for a lot of US based people to come to. Perhaps SFO-TOK-(maybe ASP)-MEL/SYD-AKL-HNL-SFO or something like that?

I hear the PH SYD is lovely (at any time of the year) and MEL also has a great PH and Grand!

15. brfong

brfong Silver Member

Status Points:
    $3500 Y+
    $2750 Y
    $7500 BF
    $5500 TC

I'm starting my flying fund now. I figure $20/day would put me in BF (not accounting for the bidding for pre booking).

An around the pacific trip would be interesting. I've always wanted to visit the UA hub in Guam.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think my butt just served me divorce papers.

17. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. Prior to this SMD4, the most expensive ticket I ever bought was SFO-LAX-YYZ-ZRH-LHR//ZRH-YYZ-LAX-SFO for roughly $820. And that was no tricks. The international flight and the domestic charter are each much more expensive than that, considering my typical range.

18. oiRRio

oiRRio Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would I be interested? Yes although even more so if it was on OW.
    Pricing? I have no idea but I would suggest what an equivalent trip on a regular OW/*A RTW would cost plus a premium for the Megado experience and miles earned. You may gauge feedback better if you give ballpark costs of what United think it might cost. If they've mentioned miles earned they likely have an idea of costs as well.
    Time? 9 days or a a week off work is no problem. It's inefficient vacation wise to start on a Mon. or Tues. so an extra day off work for a few more days of the MegaDo experience makes sense.
    Destinations? I agree with others that there are too many cities for the timeframe e.g. I could live without Seoul, Taipei, Cairo and one of the European cities on the list.
    Suggestion : That for this number of flights the seating is mixed up a bit. I was lucky enough to have two great seatmates on OWMD but when there are this many flights it makes sense for people to get to meet other MegaDoers in-flight. Of course those stuck beside me on OWMD might suggest fixed seating and let the poor buggers beside me suffer. :rolleyes:

One further point, I think it's very positive that United are thinking of expanding the MegaDo experience in this way.

19. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
  20. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since we are considering possibilities, I say why not? I believe that MP would put a great trip together with some good activities to be had. So, if we don't start dreaming about it, it will never happen!

1) Absolutely & 2) Y up to $2750

To the 1st Mile Point RTW DO.:)

21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny...they always seemed to be 2-3ish days in the past, with optional events that added on. Or am I misremembering history?

And without actually stopping at many of those destinations along the way I'd have trouble believing it would come close to being a decent value.

22. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the itinerary's awesome, but I know I spent 10 days doing a simpler round-the-world two months ago, and that was pretty aggressive.

Obviously, some of these cities wouldn't be able to get a full night, but I'm hoping it's kind of like a "port" where you'd get part of a day and at least a city tour or something.

[​IMG]

23. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just ran it its about 40cpm for this years domestic Y, I think UA CASM is about ~15, even at that rate my guess is Y would be ~$5k, with a more realistic price of 7

24. haakonks

haakonks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shut up ant take my money! ;)

I would definitely be interested in this if I can fit it in my schedule, and the price other people are suggesting, between 7,5k and 10k for BF sounds ok.

25. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about:
    [​IMG]

Travelsavant, brfong and jbcarioca like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.