Is it possible to buy club access at check-in?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by TheBeerHunter, Mar 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

I am pretty unfamiliar with the Hyatt brand or the rewards program; I'm an InterContinental Royal Ambassador and tend to be loyal to that brand. However, I got the Hyatt credit card for the 2 free nights (it came with Platinum status as well), and am using them next week at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong. I did read the FAQ thread and looked a the Wiki here but didn't see my question answered.

Does this property (or Hyatt in general) allow you to purchase club access at check-in? If so, does anyone have an idea of the cost for that at this property?

Any reviews of this property from fellow MPers? Didn't see this one reviewed here yet.

Thanks for whatever info you can share.

2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a fantastic property. We stayed there over the Xmas period in 09.

We were given access to the club lounge at check-in. My husband was only platinum and we had not paid for the club access. However he had stayed at the property on numerous occasions previously so we are not sure if that is why they allowed us access to the club.

The views from the club are stupendous. The breakfast spread is fantastic. Lots of options, I personally enjoyed the shrimp dumplings every morning. There are the standard bagels, smoked salmon, eggs and bacon etc. but also some asian foods. The service in this lounge is exceptional. They go out of their way to make you feel special. It can get crowded in the evening.

Enjoy your trip. We would go back to this property in a heartbeat.

RichardInSF and TheBeerHunter like this.
  3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I guess I can hope for a club upgrade, then, since it's happened before.

Glad you had such a nice time there! I was surprised they had availability.

4. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a reference, I believe HR SFO charges $45 for club access, or something in that ballpark. I imagine it would be more at a higher category hotel.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  5. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could inquire about an upgrade to a club-level room, that's definitely one way to get club access! It is very probably the best Hyatt club I have ever been to, although Singapore is pretty good as well.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  6. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was checking-in together with a colleague at the Hyatt Regency HK TST. Since I am Diamond, I was upgraded to a Club Room and we checked-in at the Regency lounge. My colleague, who is not Diamond, was offered to buy a club access. So I believe, buying a club access at check-in is indeed possible.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you recall how much they asked for club access? If memory serves right, I paid $30/night for two people at the Conrad Bali about five years ago, which was definitely worth it.

Unrelated (well, at least it's Hyatt-related) -- I just walked through your avatar earlier today :)

cennas likes this.
  8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    They asked for 600 HKD/night or about ~ 80 USD, a bit steep, or I could use my GP pts (3000 pts/night) to upgrade my colleague since he is not even a member.

Nice! I wish I was there! :)

9. gujjuglobal
    Original Member

gujjuglobal Active Member

Status Points:
    Was offered Club access at Check in at Hyatt Orlando Cypress for $30 per night recently.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. peter42
    Original Member

peter42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That price seems to fluctuate I heard them asking for 75 to $100 per night there.

11. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all for your feedback. I emailed the hotel and was told I could pay for club access, for 600 HKG per night.

As it turns out, we've changed our plans (yet again) and won't be spending time in HKG as we initially thought so this is now a moot point, though I did think the price was pretty steep myself.

12. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't spend a lot of time at any of the Club lounges, however think the Hong Kong lounge would probably be considered to be exceptional in my limited experience. When I compare it to the HR Waikiki, it makes Waikiki look like a joke with their pitiful offerings.

13. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    For many people, it's probably more cost-effective to buy club access on those occasions you're really interested in it, than to maintain Diamond.

TheBeerHunter and Gargoyle like this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If club level rooms are available, I would be surprised if any hotel declined the upsell at check in. I have also seen hotels offer only the club lounge access (not a club level room) both in advance and at check in for a surcharge. I remember this specifically at the Washington DC Hyatt Regency (?) at Convention Center during both large conventions and small meetings, but I'm sure I've seen this at a few other properties too. Unfortunately I don't remember what the surcharge was but it applied to deeply discounted rooms in the room block.