Is it just me, or is the SPG web site the worst web experience?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by slalom, Apr 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been HH Diamond for the past couple of years and use the Hilton web sit quite a bit. I check reservations and pick up folios for past stays to submit with expense reports on the odd occasion the don't send an e-receipt.

I recently decided to diversify my nights and get status in another program, so I've been staying at Starwood properties.

Is SPG just behind the times?

1) I don't receive e receipts
    2) Folios for past stays are not available through the web site
    3) The site doesn't give a full breakdown on points (for example, it doesn't show whether and FF points are awarded).

1) & 2) mean I either have to line up for a paper invoice on check-out (I usually grab breakfast before I leave so it doesn't make the receipt they slip under the door the night before departure) or call the hotel to have them email me a copy.

Also the look, feel, and navigation of the web site feels really dated compared to Hilton or Marriott.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    @ Check In I just tell them to email me. Solves it.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not the worst but certainly annoying and too many steps even to make a reservation, as well as the deficits you mention.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both the SPG and the HH sites have their callenges but I must say its quite rare to find someone who thinks the HH site is marginally better:) ( well perhaps with the exception of the resident HH cheerleader:D) although I must say it has improved quite a bit recently.
    Problems I for one find with the HH site are
    a) the points posted for individual card spends are not identified
    b) No on-line folios for international stays.
    c) Domestic folios sometimes post blank or alternately when you have multiple rooms at one property only one posts and very often the less desiderable one.
    d) You often cannot see if you have been pre-upgraded pre arrival.

Some SPG hotels do have the capacity to automatically e-mail folios and will ask at check out.

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not say that the bulk of these are really related to the SPG web site being a bad experience. I'd call things like crashing, poor navigation, reservations not showing up in timely manner, etc. more of a "bad experience" and those are areas where HH is noticeably worse.

With that said, the lack of online folios is definitely a weakness, although somewhat mitigated by the increasingly widespread offer to email folios on checkout as well as responsiveness of the plat concierge in having folios emailed on demand. Not really sure what you mean with your third point...

Don't do Marriott, but Hilton's website's love of crashing, historical tendencies to log you in/out, lack of clear path back to the main page after completing a reservation, lack of an easy way to compare multiple rates, and overwhelming desire to pull me back in to their website if I've left it open in another tab with a stupid "do you want to continue?" dialog where the only acceptable answer is "OK"...

I'm sure a lot of it comes down to what you know, but the HH site is not that good.

newbluesea likes this.
  6. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess I'm just used to the Hilton site. I make all my reservations through Concur so I don't use the site to make reservations, only to confirm, cancel, and get folios from previous stays - all of which seem much easier to do - maybe its just familiarity.

Yah....the " do you want to continue" with only one answer is annoying.

HH also breaks down base points, bonus points, and frequent flyer points awarded. I can't find anywhere on SPG to say how many FF points I've been awarded for a stay.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other than the crossover with Delta or special promotions, you're earning points (and possibly "direct-depositing" them to an airline, which I do not recall being particularly unclear.). I'm unclear what you're expecting to see...

Confirming/cancelling stays is a couple of clicks, and in my experience reservations show up quicker than on the hilton site. There has been a bug where same-day stays would disappear from your profile - can't recall if it's resolved or not. Folios are a definite weak point, but properties have gotten dramatically better at emailing them, and if I need them the plat concierge generally handles the legwork without much effort on my part.

edekba likes this.
  8. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    From the hilton honors web site:
    Maybe its not a big deal - but the following shows a points break down for a recent Hilton stay:

Hilton
    New York Hilton Midtown

977 View Receipt
    Book Again

BASEBONUSMILES

2013 Q1 DOUBLE YOUR HHONORS - DBL POINTS
    0 9776 0

Base Points
    9776 0 0

DIAMOND VIP BONUS - 50% 2013
    0 4888 0

DIAMOND MYWAY BONUS
    0 1000 0

UNITED AIRLINES PARTNER BONUS
    0 0 977

Perhaps I'll learn its not relevant for SPG, in which case my only gripe is the lack of receiving eFolios.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    From a recent SPG stay:
    Earn +2,000 04/07/2013 Sheraton Cavalier Saskatoon Hotel
    SPG POWER UP 16TH NIGHT (PUP)
    Earn +189 04/06/2013 Sheraton Cavalier Saskatoon Hotel
    SPG ELITE 50% BONUS
    Earn +500 04/06/2013 Sheraton Cavalier Saskatoon Hotel
    PLATINUM 500 WELCOME AMENITY
    Earn +378 04/06/2013 Sheraton Cavalier Saskatoon Hotel
    04/04/2013 - 04/05/2013

Other than not having any FF miles listed (as none were earned) I'm not sure that I see what the difference is...you would go to the points activity rather than past stays to get this.

edekba likes this.
  10. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't get that detail (but then again, I don't earn all those points!)......I'm near Platinum so I'll check back in after I hit status and use the site a little more.....perhaps my first impressions were too harsh

11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't go to "stays", go to "activity" and it should be there. Unlike Hilton you don't get the point details on the "past stays". I'll also earn some Delta miles through "crossover" and those will not show at all on the spg site.

slalom likes this.
  12. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't mind the SPG site, in general, but I wish award stays would show up under your past stays (since they count towards status accrual).

Kalboz and edekba like this.
  13. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    the trick is to have some sort of charge ... (room service, bar, etc) then it'll show up

sellthesedownfalls likes this.
  14. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha, I'm too cheap! But I'll keep that in mind for the future. :)

edekba likes this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I think the Hyatt website is worse. It keeps crashing in the middle of making a reservation, with a screen that suggests coming back later. However, usually if I start over, it's working. I wonder how many guests they lose this way.

16. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Old HH was the worst. Hyatt is second worst. Then spg. And new HH is best surprisingly. But their mobile apps suck.

17. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    What surprises me about Hyatt is that several times I have gone to their website and it is down with a "please check back later" message.

One point I find particularly annoying about the SPG website is that it defaults to one person in a room as opposed to two- in the USA this doesn't matter however in Europe where the room rates are significantly different for a room for one person as opposed to two this is a problem. I have to carefully double-check each time to make sure that I am switching to the correct room- on two separate occasions I didn't notice and had to pay a 2nd person charge on checkin.

18. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be nice if the site showed #of nights. I'm in mid-Platinum challenge....I know how many nights I've stayed, but can't verify on the web site.

19. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    It shows me Ytd nights and stays?

20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does. So does the mobile app:

image-1710220038.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

edekba likes this.
  21. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Android version does as well, and even the mobile website (does anyone else hate all spawn of usablenet?)

IS there some alternate website that slalom's happened upon?

ballardFlyer and edekba like this.
  22. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do. Complete garbage. The worst mobile experience.

23. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    User error....my bookmark takes me right into "My Stays" which doesn't show #of nights. I now see on My Home.

Also....nice feature that it shows "total number of nights" since joining SPG. I have a ways to go to get "lifetime" status!

24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have the people here that are criticizing spg.com ever tried to use delta.dumb?

ballardFlyer likes this.
  25. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    well at least you guys can log in - after entering my username & pw it just takes me to a completely blank page with "done" at the bottom... :)