Is it just me...or do the number of AA DEQM and DM bonus offers seem low?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by garyst16, Sep 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been watching the AA airline bonus offers (DEQM & DM) and have noticed there are fewer than normal. Usually, you can find at least 10 or so of these offers. As of today, AA is only showing 5. Any thoughts on this?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Better economy, more people traveling, less need to motivate by giving things away...just guesses. Also AA has been loving the targeted DEQM's lately which I'm not the biggest fan of.

garyst16 likes this.
  3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    @JohnDeere19 - all good points, but if the airline is trying to drum up some new business, wouldn't they want to offer up some decent bonuses to all? JMHO

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, they're offering lower fares instead to be competitive.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    While I agree with you, you're opening a can of worms where you'll have people listing out all the routes AA is priced 2x as much as competitors. Nevermind that it might be that AA has sold out of lower bucket inventory. ;)

Related to the question....

This topic has popped up in many threads related to million miller, status runs, etc. I agree that the economy now doesn't bear the need to offer huge DEQM or RDM bonuses. There were still some nice ones offered, though. The bonuses on LAX-PVG and CX's ORD-HKG come to mind.

6. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    True, those are/were nice bonuses, but I can not recall ever seeing so few offered...

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but as mentioned above, there isn't currently a need to offer them. I think AA would be a bit silly to continue to offer a similar number of bonuses when the market doesn't require it.

With years of reduced capacity and the rebound in ticket purchases, AA most likely doesn't see the use of incentivizing flying. There are situations that would trigger some offers, such as promoting new routes (LAX-PVG, CX HKG-ORD) or address increased competition on routes (VX's new service to ORD and DFW from LAX/SFO, or combating DL's business class offering into Europe). With that in mind, I think AA clearly has responded to these situations with offers you can easily pull from memory.

I don't think it's odd. Frustrating for a MRer and low cost EXP, but not odd.

garyst16 likes this.
  8. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bingo! I need a decent AA MR!!!! :(

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Who doesn't ;)

Quasiconvexity and garyst16 like this.
  10. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume they just don't have any reason to offer them. Certainly, being a casual flyer, I am looking for a promotion or two as an inducement to fly.