Is It Ever OK To Steal From An Airline?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jan 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Is It Ever OK To Steal From An Airline? ||

New thinking? :confused:

sobore likes this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Posting my comments here rather than on Elliott's site.

In Arizona, if a price is incorrectly marked on a retail item, the law says that price must be honored. Period. Can't say it is a mistake and not sell it to the customer. I would guess that the same law would affect advertised airfares.
    The laws must be uniform.

iolaire and uggboy like this.
  3. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forget about the law; what about the ethics?

If it's obviously an error you have an ethical responsibility to not book it.

To be sure, in some cases fare errors may not obviously be erroneous. I think the ethics are different in these cases.

This particular case seems fairly cut and dried to me. The passenger booked an obviously erroneous fare, treating the airline in dickish fashion. The airline (or whomever sold her the ticket) responded in equally dickish fashion. I don't think the response was fair - the ticket should have been voided much, much sooner (unless it was just booked a few hours before) - but it sounds to me like the chips fell where they ought to fall. The passenger didn't get her cheap trip, and the airline will get some bad press. Lose-lose.

uggboy likes this.
  4. The term bottom feeder has been banned here but maybe has its use in certain cases.

uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very true.