Is it a good idea to convert Amex Rewards points to Aeroplan miles?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by slalom, Aug 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I carry both a U.S. issued and a Canadian issued Amex card, both earning membership rewards.

Redeeming for merchandise, a CAmex reward requires about 30% more points than an identical USAmex reward. However both change into Aeroplan at 1000=1000.

Has anyone done the math on this....is it an efficient use of CAmex points to convert them to Aeroplan?

2. As a SE it makes some sense for me to convert those points to AE. 90,000 points converted will get me a J ticket to Europe. Converting 90K AMEX points into a ticket will not get me even close to the cost of even a flex ticket to Europe. You need to factor the AE charges into that conversion as well.
    Hope that helps

marcwint55 and slalom like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are your other options and what is the award you plan to redeem for? It is rarely a smart move to speculatively move the points out of the more flexible program versus waiting until you have a specific redemption lined up.

tomh009, slalom and guinnessxyz like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I would never move points unless you are using them immediately. If you move them and the program then devalues the points, you are out of luck.

tomh009 and guinnessxyz like this.
  5. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:

Thanks....sounds like the redemption rate is at least favorable.

Good advice....best let the points sit in Amex until there is a specific need in case another "redemption need" pops up.

6. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    i have been letting my AP miles convered to RBC to sit until i figure out how to burn them on AA or BA....

so if i could get a bonus to AP that i could not get in another places, i would launder them into RBC and if a BA promo you can get 1:1 so you could in theory get 1:1.3 BA miles for ever Amex mile....but you migth already be able to do that, who knows..

7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. How soon would you use your AE miles? If not until next year, I'd wait. However, next year the award chart increased the number of miles needed for most premium awards outside NAmerica.

2. From time to time there will be a 25% or 50% bonus for MR to AE transfers. I'd wait until this is on offer if I don't plan to redeem the awards to use in the next few months.

southender likes this.
  8. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last two AE bonus offers for transfers from hotel programs which in the past have included the bonus for transfers from Canadian Amex MR's have recently NOT INCLUDED transfers from the Amex MR. May have something to do with the recent CIBC-TD mashup resulting in a new AE CC offering coming in 2014 from TD.

As others have mentioned, it's best to wait to do the airline transfers to just before you need the miles for a booking. Your MR points never expire as long as your Amex account is active, whereas your airline miles may expire over time if your account is inactive, and the airline may devalue your miles over time through their "enhancements".

9. But remember AE miles will have no expiry date starting Jan.1/14

10. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not exactly. The previous 7-year expiry has been phased out, but the 12-month no-activity expiry is still in effect.

11. I guess I just assumed that everyone uses their card at some point in a year.

12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone on this board does. But one still hears of people who wake up one morning to book the dream trip and are shocked to discover their account is empty. This in spite of the many ways available to keep the account alive even if one doesn't fly for a whole year.

What happens is one doesn't fly for a year? Hives?

13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought those came after a month of not flying! :eek:

guinnessxyz and YULtide like this.
  14. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    All true about the seven year expiry being gone and the 12 month non-activity still in effect, but don't forget the most important point in this exercise is not to transfer MR until the exact flights/connections, dates, etc. are available for the mileage you wanted. And with the recent UA devaluations (also known as their enhancements) as an indication of what may be ahead, anything is possible. Best to keep your MR points where they are until you're sure you can use them, as that keeps more options available.

guinnessxyz likes this.
  15. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can actually wait until you are on the phone with the AE rep to transfer MR if you need to. They transfer instantly, so no need to transfer them too early in case you cannot find availability for the dates or flights you need/want. Just wait for the rep to tell you how many miles you're missing; tell him/her that you'll transfer some MR right away and voila!

B1BomberVB and rehoult like this.
  16. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too hold CA and US Amex cards. I've found that the Canadian MR points are actually more valuable than the US points in certain situations. This past year Canadian Membership Rewards had a 50% bonus converting to BA, and US MR only had a 30% bonus. The 50% bonus meant that a YYZ-NYC/ORD RT (9000 Avios) on AA was earned after $6000 CAD spend on the Canadian card versus $7000 USD on the American card.

I find AA to LGA/JFK for 9000 Avios + $27.50 is particularly useful for lesiure or positioning flights.

17. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great observation....I'll watch for these promos. I redeemed some US MR a while ago for a piece of Tumi luggage and it took 50% more points to redeem CMR.

18. Acker

Acker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need 105k miles to book an award that's available. I'm thinking I should use SPG rather than Amex since 1) I'll use the miles as soon as they drop into my acct and 2) I'll take advantage of the promo offer. Am I missing anything? I've gobs of SPG and Amex miles, btw.

19. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know what 100,000 SPG points are worth but the same AMEX platinum points are worth $1000 towards a ticket or to pay your AMEX bill. Converting SPG points does give you a bonus from AE that you don't get with AMEX so you don't need to convert as many.

20. Acker

Acker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Decided to move 60k SPG to Aeroplan today, will move another 20K tomorrow, then will move 5k from an orphan hotel account I don't use or maybe Amex miles in order to reach 105k. I specifically want to fly Turkish from IST to experience the lounge as well as fly nonstop IST to states. For 80k SPG and crumbs we'll get to see what a IST lounge is like plus fly nonstop to east coast US. I'm happy with decision, ITA is pricing flights at $3126./each so good bang for buck. Thanks for input.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  21. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's one fabulous lounge. Enjoy the experience.

22. superangrypenguin

superangrypenguin Silver Member

Status Points:
    My MR points always go to AP. My SPG points I keep them there. SPG Amex (personal) and Corporate AMEX earns MR and that goes to my AP account. Last thing I want to do is SPG -> AP

mtlfire and YULtide like this.