Is is possible to book UA/CO combo and use miles on each to upgrade?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by 15A, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. 15A
    Original Member

15A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to book a combined ticket EWR-PHX on CO, TUS-LAX-JFK on UA. The CO portion cannot be booked separately as it's not available as a one-way fare. I would like to upgrade both legs, the CO flights using CO miles and the UA flights using UA CR1's. Is this possible? Once ticketed on CO, can I go to UA and have them change only the UA flights to my MP number and request the upgrade?

misman likes this.
  2. Cuse44
    Original Member

Cuse44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you book the EWR-PHX flights as a UA codeshare? If so, I think this would be the best option. As long as you are using CO miles for the flight from EWR-PHX, upgrading it as a codeshare shouldn't be a problem.

3. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, it has been reported that upgrading on code-shares can be messy... and not always work. You should be able to use miles from either program to upgrade flights on either airline. Furthermore, you don't need to change the program where you are earning miles to match. You can earn into UA, while upgrading using CO.

More input will follow, I'm sure.

4. Cuse44
    Original Member

Cuse44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    True, codeshares almost always cause a problem. However, the scenario I mentioned above has worked for me numerous times. Even been able to do the request online.

5. 15A
    Original Member

15A Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I can book as a UA itinerary with EWR-PHX as a codeshare. Will go this route. Worst case scenario I can always cancel within 24 hrs and try another route. Thanks for the advice.

Tenmoc and misman like this.
  6. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be aware that, in the past, EWR-PHX and PHX-EWR have been tough upgrades.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There should be no need to book the EWR-PHX flight as a codeshare but it probably doesn't matter. If using CO miles on CO metal then CO doesn't care what the booking code on the flight is. I had a ticket issued by AZ, coded UA and operated CO and they applied the upgrade directly with no problems. CO is much better about this than most other carriers, so long as you are using CO instruments for the upgrade.

Similarly, since the UA flights are going to be upgraded using a UA instrument that should be a relatively trivial effort.