Is In-N-Out Burger Overrated?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Kalboz, Aug 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Despite of the fact that the owners of this website love the burgers from In-N-Out Burger chains, I believe that their food offerings are overrated. Recently, a website listed the burger chain as one of 32 Reasons California Is The Most Beautiful State In The Country ... IMO, this is just over the top!!! A recent US Today article had a scathing review of the burger chain: Great American Bites: Is In-N-Out Burger overhyped?

As a Californian, I enjoy their food as much as the next guy, but I don't think it is that much different from many other fast food chains ... whatchya think?
    [​IMG]

Tenmoc, zshanlon, violist and 6 others like this.
  2. worldtraveller2
    Original Member

worldtraveller2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    what? blasphemy I tell you! Take him out back and hang him! Kalil, I love In & Out Burger!!

3. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    In n Out is by far better than any fast food chain, but does not met the 32 reasons Calif is the most beautiful state. I also live here and am looking at getting out.

uggboy, marcwint55, jbcarioca and 4 others like this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have reported the original post.

;)

5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a solid fast-food burger. Better than McD's (which I won't eat any more post-stroke), Burger King, Jack in the Box, or other national chains. I'd rank it up with Five Guys and Shake Shack, and better than my local chain, Dick's.

No, it's not luxe food. But do you expect luxe food for less than $10 in a fast food chain?

6. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely better than mcdonalds. How does it stand up against 5 guys or shake shack? about the same. However, In-N-Out definitely costs less.

Would i make a detour to In-N-Out.. no.. but if I just arrived at LAS, LAX, RNO and i'm hankering for some food.. why not? But assuming i fly out of DCA on US or JFK T4 on DL (where i can get 5 guys and shake shack respectively), i'd be less in the mood for In-N-Out upon arrival.

uggboy, marcwint55, jbcarioca and 3 others like this.
  7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll have to fall in line with the over-hyped image. There are so many much better fast food burger joints out there to waste my time with In-n-Out.

I'll take Steak and Shake any time. Five Guys definitely has a better menu and fries. Heck, the Big Burger at Jack in the Box is the best unknown burger deal. (less than $2.00)

Remember, Phoenix and Las Vegas both have the Heart Attack burger places.

But support the local guys rather than the chains anyway.

FetePerfection, ella, uggboy and 4 others like this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D you are too funny!

I really do enjoy it ... but it is not better than other fast food joints, like Wendy's or Carl's Jr.

I place 'ol McDonald's in the junk food category, but they do have a great pork burger at their Asia franchises.

uggboy, marcwint55 and jbcarioca like this.
  9. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like In and Out, but Five Guys is a better burger.

-David

10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd have to disagree with you both. 5G is a greasy mess while In/Out much better.

But yeah InO is a great fast food chain... probably one the best; but as a reason to come to Cali? Naw our state has enuf stuff to lure them here.

11. joeheg

joeheg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having tried Shake Shack and Five Guys, I'm dying to try one. However during our past trip to CA, we had just finished eating an amazing crab feast in San Francisco when we passed one and did not see another In-N-Out on our way to Yosemite. To ease the pain, we did manage to stop at a Trader Joe's. (Oops, did I start another debate there?)

12. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's much better than your average fast food chain burger, but nothing much past that. I would probably call it overrated.

It usually gets so much hype because it's a real west coast or California only thing.

After being introduced to it from the Harold & Kumar movies, so many friends from Cali ask us to take them to White Castle. Most have really loved it. White Castle is borderline disgusting.

Mapsmith, uggboy, marcwint55 and 5 others like this.
  13. sfaulk4

sfaulk4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's much better than McD, Jack, BK, etc.
    i wouldn't plan a trip on the basis of In-N-Out but while I'm on the west coast I will try to find one!

uggboy, marcwint55, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  14. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no better value than an In-N-Out burger,...I'll take Shack Shack over it though, but unfortunately Shake Shack doesn't have drive through and costs about twice the price, also we don't have Shake Shack here in LA :/

15. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:

lol, you are free to voice your own opinion as wrong as it is. :)

I did say that I liked In N out.

You should talk to Pizzaman about 5 Guys sometime.

-David

16. wackyjacky

wackyjacky Active Member

Status Points:
    I don't get it either. There is NO good fast food burger. 1/4" thick & beyond well done, Is it meat or cardboard ? I'll be happy to sit down & wait for my 1/2 pounder. Medium rare please. No time - gimme a burrito at some mom & pop.

17. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    After eating at most of the fast food joints mentioned above don't you have to give In-N-Out an A+ on their cleanliness and staff?

FlyingBear, uggboy, Kalboz and 4 others like this.
  18. You all need to come north of the border and try Harvey's hamburgers. ;) Char cooked in front of you.

uggboy, LIH Prem, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  19. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never saw that when I was in YVR...

20. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haha I know that's why we all love the interwebs.

I had a 5g in LA and it was poop. Had 5G at IAD, better but still greasy mess compared to LA.

And don't even get me started on their Fries

uggboy, LIH Prem, Kalboz and 3 others like this.
  21. jmui

jmui Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is probably overrated hype-wise (then again how many uberpopular restaurants aren't?). However, it's hard to beat in terms of value. I tend to eat a lot and I like being able to order another patty/slice of cheese instead of having to order a second or third burger. I also find the overall quality the most consistent of all the chains, especially considering the volume they push.

Mapsmith, uggboy, Kalboz and 3 others like this.
  22. Daviation

Daviation Silver Member

Status Points:
    To me a Double-Double Animal Style is the absolute best for any "fast food" joint. Grease never tastes any better. Was not all that impressed the one time I tried Five Guys.

On the other hand, if there is a Flemming's near you, check out their prime burger ... specifically during their daily "5 For $6 'Til 7" promos That's GREAT taste as a GREAT price.

Chacun à son goût

FlyingBear, uggboy, Kalboz and 3 others like this.
  23. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread requires honesty. First: my qualifications: was was born in California before the baby boom started, just. My father owned a farm in what is now Disneyland, so the LA area is part of my blood and life history.

In-N-Out is OK, I suppose but a genuine LA area original is much better. That is Y Not http://ynotburgers.com a single location on Hawthorne Boulevard in Torrance.

It's not too far away from a Curry House, anotehr iconic LA area tradition with the best Japanese curry to be had in the US.

Back to burgers, arguing about Five Guys vs In-N-Out is kind of pointless when the best ones are almost all locals, like the Corner Bistro on the corner of Jane and W12th street is NYC, Y Not and other one offs. A chain simply cannot quite produce magic.

24. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Curry House is truly divine.

25. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one thing I will say about In and Out that puts it above most other chains in my area, in addition to the great food, is the employees understand what you are saying when you order and they get it right.

It might have something to do with the fact that they are paid better than the employees at some of their competitors.