Is if that simple?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by michael21, May 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking at getting the Barclays card but was wondering how easy it is to book a flight NOT on US. Can I just go on united's site, see if let's say ord-lhr has an award seat on a flight and then just call us and say hi, I'd like the award ticket on united/Swiss/Lufthansa flight #xxxx on Monday June 5th?

Thanks

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Since you would have US miles, you would need to either book on the US site or call the US reservation department. And yes it is just about that easy - assuming there is award availability. I believe that US will have most, if not all, of the "low" UA and LH awards available in their system.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    US is also known to blocking LX/LH awards even though it's showing on ANA's website which is usually 100% accurate compared to United's website which has phantom availability on mainly LH and OS...

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So it's possible that I see something on United and call US and they'll say sorry it's not available?

5. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the moment Yes. It seems that US is blocking certain (mostly LH) international first class awards. If you are looking for business or economy awards then seats found on ANA/UA/Aeroplan are usually available.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you combine Us miles? Like if my wife has 40k and I have 40k can we buy something for 60k?

7. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    They will happily charge you a fee of one cent per mile for you to move miles from your wife's account to your account.

8. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well as long as they do it happily...:)

9. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As for blocking LH flights, I have found when checking on the ANA site that unless you are willing to book very close in (i.e. about 10 days out) LH F award availability is VERY poor so I don't consider the "blocking" a significant issue.

LETTERBOY likes this.