Is Hyatt doing their desk agents a disservice with the last minute $$$ upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by sophiegirl, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Saw a woman check in today who was rude, downright mean, and completely off base as she tore up the desk agent for not having the high floor ocean front salon room she had requested. (while paying for the run of house city view of course) I watched as the young woman from Hyatt explained in 4 different ways the meanings of "optional", "last minute", and " if available"....as well as telling the guest that she HAD been upgraded free of charge to a partial ocean view. Nothing was good enough, and finally another desk agent went to get some assistance.

Although this was the worst case I have ever seen, it does seem to me that since Hyatt implemented this concept, they have a lot of Diamonds upset because they aren't getting their "free" upgrades....while those less traveled really do not understand (or forget) exactly how it works, so they get to the hotel and are upset, too. not to mention the complete donkey's butt people like the woman today.

Not really fair to the front line folks...Who already hear about every problem of every guest!

IDGflygirl likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a bit confused by the thread subject -- how does the last minute $$$ upgrade fit into the story? (sorry, it's time for a late afternoon/early evening coffee, so I am probably just not reading this right)

But yes, yelling at front desk staff generally isn't going to and shouldn't work.

3. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've not run into this problem, yet, but in my short experience as a Diamond, I have not been upgraded to a suite.. I do not know if this is because of the up-sell to suites that is offered when making reservations, but if it is, I'd much rather have the upgrade..

4. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have found that to date...generally speaking...I do better trying/achieving an upgrade from the front desk...than by selecting one of the website upgrade options (free or additional money). YMMV :)

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh... are we talking NOR1 upgrades? (finally waking up, I guess). I never buy those.

6. LoyaltyLobby
    Original Member

LoyaltyLobby Active Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt or rather individual hotels are really pushing those Nor1's lately.

bbbb likes this.
  7. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hilton has a longer history of doing the Nor1 paid upgrades -- while it didn't seem to impact my chances to get upgraded to suites (which Hilton was lousy about for this Diamond), it did not result in me ending up in suites as often as I used to with Hyatt before the Hyatt properties ramped up the Nor1 paid upgrades in advance.

It may be that more Nor1 upgrades -- a product also of growing market familiarity with them -- has resulted in lower chances for complimentary upgrades to suites for Diamonds (unless using confirmed suite upgrade certs or points to upgrade), but I'm not sure if my experience is representative of the overall situation or not.

8. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    although suite upgrades are certainly a part of this, they aren't the sole issue. it could be a higher floor, better view, etc etc. and for me, it isn't about receiving one or not. when a room type is important to me, I book it....not hope for it. So none of that has changed.

What has changed is the amount of abuse I have seen the desk agents take....either because the person didn't get their request, OR because they are Diamond and all the upgrades went to the "paid" folks.

so my thread was meant to be about difficulty for the employees, not us!

9. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    For NOR1 upgrades, it's all just personal responsibility. Sadly, many people these days don't take any responsibility for anything. They need to read the T&C and understand what they're getting into.

For Diamonds, it's about a sense of entitlement. Diamond members shouldn't expect any upgrade past the usual upgrade to a Regency/Grand Club floor. I've never been upgraded to a suite and I want it at as much as the next member but I understand that someone who is going to pay for it totally trumps my paying for a King room on a AAA rate.

I definitely feel bad for the employees who have to deal with upset individuals. I don't think there's anything that can be done about it though. I believe it starts with the guest and whatever their mentality is.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  10. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    When one has an unsatisfied situation or customer service issue at a hotel (or in any other area), the hotel employees should NEVER be made the subject of dissatisfaction, as they are not the people whom created the situation. The best thing is to try and find a resolution to the situation whether the same day, the next day, or ask for some type of compensation, if it is warranted.

11. I for one am a fan of the standby paid upgrade program. I like a chance to put in for the premium suites (for example at Hyatt Kauai you can even put in for the presidential suites), and wish they would expand this to more properties.

bbbb likes this.
  12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also like the program- seems like a win/win for the hotel/guests.

13. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    couldn't agree more, however, the post is about the employees who have to deal with this, not us liking it.

14. todorovic
    Original Member

todorovic Active Member

Status Points:
    Regardless of the (non)existence of the program you will always have the DYKWIA types who will demand the best room in the house no matter what. I think the program is presented to potential customers with enough disclaimers that only someone who purposefully decides to ignore them will demand the room at check in. Of course, those are the exact same DYKWIA people mentioned above.

As far as the program goes, it hasn't impacted my UG success rates so far. Let's see if that changes in the future.

15. DealHound
    Original Member

DealHound Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've always wondered about this. Since the Nor1 is used by both Hilton and Hyatt, I assume it is a 3rd party that somehow profits from the upsell. It's not clear to me how the upgrade gets determined at check-in. Is it strictly computer driven, or do the check-in clerks have some discretion?

16. vangrizz
    Original Member

vangrizz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used it at the Doubletree Times Square last time I was there, and when I checked in the clerk noted that I had put in for a paid upgrade and that it was available so she would go ahead and process it. I would imagine then that the clerks would have the ability to ignore the request or simply say that there are no room upgrades available.