Is Horizon Air safe - or is it like ComAir

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by dtc, Dec 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dtc

dtc Active Member

Status Points:
    So first, I don't mean to disrespect the folks at Horizon Air. I've taken a few flights lately and it's been ok.

But still, I'm wondering if Horizon Air is more like Alaska Air, or more like Comair. Are the Horizon folks getting paid poorly - super tired from having to work two jobs, and some of the other horror stories I've heard about regional airlines?

Given the choice, should I stick to Alaska operated flights?

2. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that is more toward the upper end, not the rear end, of the commuters in the USA. A lot of the pilots are quite experienced, and my sense is that they'd refuse a plane rather than risk anything, if there was any sort of issue.

4. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Been flying it since the 80s. Rock solid and professional.

5. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the end of the day self-preservation wins out....No matter how tough things are in life, the pilots want to get home to their friends and family safely.

:)

ella and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had the usual scheduling issues, and one time no one seemed to notice the flat tire on our -8 until after we were all on board, so off we went back into the teminal. That was odd, but otherwise have flown them without other issues.

7. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you pile on 10k pounds of people and bags, a weak tire can press flat in a hurry ;)

8. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, it sure did. The crew's response was along the lines of: Whoops! What happened there? Um, sorry folks but...:)

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect the Colgan crew that crashed in Buffalo a few years ago wanted to get home safely, too.

In the end, I don't want to have to rely solely on self-preservation, but also on good maintenance, training, and processes.

Now, that said, Horizon is probably no Colgan.