Is Hilton Gold Status worth $400

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by adalnay, May 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. adalnay

adalnay Active Member

Status Points:
    I just wanted to get everyones opinion on whether the Hilton Gold Status for two years is worth $400. There is a promo that will award gold status for two years for four qualifying stays within 90 days of registering.

https://hiltonhhonors.com/processLanding6.aspx?lp=cwtoffer

I looked locally and I found a few Hilton Garden Inns, Doubletrees, and Hampton Inns that I could use to get the qualifying four stays.

Kalboz, Tenmoc and legalalien like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Gold Status is free breakfast and wi-fi. Since you're contemplating unnecessary spending on Hilton, you probably don't use it enough to justify the expense.
    Wait for a free status upgrade deal.

3. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can get Gold for free several times throughout the year, as history has proven (watch for links). how long that lasts depends, though. I would not do it.

4. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would hold out for one the free offers using a Visa Signature card number. Hilton seems to offer these on occasion.

aptraveler likes this.
  5. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with all the above posters, Gold is not worth it.. but if you have upcoming stays where you know the breakfast and wi-fi benefit will cover your $400, then it may be worth spending the dough.

Gold also gives you access to VIP rewards, which may come in handy if you have amassed a lot of Hilton points via non-Hilton credit card signups.

6. adalnay

adalnay Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the responses. I guess I'll hold out until a promo comes up. Thanks again.

Espan likes this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Tenmoc and Espan like this.
  8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting -- it depends on how often you're planning on staying with Hiltons the next two years.

To me, the free breakfasts at HGI's are the best benefit, followed by those at DTs and full Hiltons. Lounge access, upgrades and bonus points are also part of the mix.

Right now I have a half dozen stays booked and another half dozen in the planning stages.

The other debate would be Hilton vs Starwood vs Marriott.

DTWBOB

9. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    My opinion is that one has to be primarily dedicated to Hilton and HHonors to justify that $400 spend. Not every stay I've had as a Gold has been significantly better; but importantly to me, no stay I have had as a Gold has seemed to me to be in one of the poorer rooms; regardless of how crowded the hotel was.:)

desamo likes this.
  10. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    good choice, can't imagine it's be worth $400, not to mention 4 nights of mattress running just for the gold...

11. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with others that there are ways to get HH gold without making extraneous stays, notably certain credit cards.

But depending on your travel, the Gold can be worth a lot. E.g. breakfast for two in NYC can be worth $60/night. Even more in some European cities. And wifi can be worth $15/night. Those two Gold benefits are generous for mid-level elite tier that is pretty easy to get.

2soonold and Sean Colahan like this.
  12. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the main reasons staying at a chain hotel is a rip-off to begin with. Find a nice guesthouse or hostel and you'll get free wi-fi and sometimes even free breakfast!

13. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't sound like you'll be enjoying your time at Milepoint too much. I find the chain value proposition to be OK with the elite benefits. It wouldn't be without them. It can vary a lot by city and what you are willing to accept in quality.

14. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    The promo seems to award Gold after 4 stays in 90 days, no extra payment required. The $400 comes from the approximate cost of 4 mattress runs, right?

It's not a bad deal if you travel regularly (e.g., for business) and are trying to qualify for Hilton elite status. I'm actually thinking of dumping Marriott for Hilton, so switching the next four stays to Hilton properties won't cost me anything extra.

Thanks for the link!

2soonold likes this.
  15. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    The real key is how much will you be using it or is this getting status to have it.

Also, do you put any value into the 4 nights you'll need to mattress run? As in, is it a weekend away with your wife/etc or is it just you sitting in a hotel because "you have to"

if there is added value to the nights, then it might become worth it. If you are going to Hong Kong and staying at the Conrad it can be worth it.

If you aren't sure what you'll be doing going forward, you are likely best to wait.

16. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    One can also buy gold status for $75 if you sign up for the hilton amex surpass card, for the 75 fee you get gold for a year, so if you got it now you would have gold through March 2014

Tenmoc likes this.
  17. adalnay

adalnay Active Member

Status Points:
    The $400 is the approximate cost I would incur to get the 4 night stay requirement. There is nothing tied to the stay but just a "mattress run."

particlemn - Thanks for the heads up on the Hilton Amex Surpass Card.

18. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    I LOVE Milepoint! Not sure why I wouldn't enjoy my time here?

I was just pointing out what I feel is the biggest rip-off in the travel industry: That these awesome hotels and properties don't give their customers free internet when $5 beach bungalows on a deserted beach in Thailand do. I understand that if you have elite status you can get free wifi sometimes, but my issue is that it isn't free all the time anyway. That's what really bothers me.

Tenmoc likes this.
  19. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:

I think Seacarl was pointing out that many (most?) members are after points - and after using them on free stays/perks - so staying at non-chain hotels is of little interest. After all, in the grand scheme of things, Wi-Fi charges are usually a small(er) percentage of the overall hotel cost.

When I travel on business, Wi-Fi is reimbursed, so I don't really care if it's not free. When I'm on my own, I create a hotspot with my phone and use my data plan. The beauty of a chain hotel is that I know what to expect, while a beach bungalow in Thailand can be hit or miss. For example, a Marriott room is practically guaranteed to have an easily accessible power outlet, but I've been to a number of boutique hotels in San Francisco where the only unused plus is behind the bed...free Wi-Fi is of little use if you can't plug in your laptop.

My guess is that few business travelers base their choice on whether Wi-Fi is free, so full service hotels don't feel any pressure to make it a free amenity. Most limited service chain hotels (Courtyard/Fairfield/Hampton Inn/Hyatt Place, etc.) do have free Internet.

Tenmoc and Seacarl like this.
  20. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    Totally agree that it is way different for the business traveler vs. the personal traveler. And don't get me wrong, I still collect (and use) hotel points pretty regularly as well. I just happen to have the no free wi-fi thing as a major pet peeve, that's all. There is definitely value to be had with hotel points. I always just choose to look at both sides, and see whether staying at the hotel is better or worth it over staying at a place that might be a more unique experience.

I do think you make a good point about knowing what to expect. I've been surprised (pleasantly and not pleasantly) when staying in the 100's of hostels or guesthouses I've hit up in the past and could see why others wouldn't want that type of uncertainty.

legalalien likes this.
  21. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Legalalien did explain my intention accurately.

I find it extremely annoying with hotels charge for wifi, even worse when it is 20 Euros or something outrageous like that. It's probably lower cost to provide wifi than hot water or electricity but they don't charge separate for those. Yes it annoys me. It also annoys me when hotels in Germany charge for breakfast as it used to always be included in the room rate. Elite status does eliminate both of these peeves.

I often try to find local non-chain hotels as well. However, I have had mixed experiences with them. Sometimes they are great or charming or a good value. Sometimes the beds aren't good or the room is tiny and in poor repair. And sometimes they too want to charge for Wifi and breakfast. Often it's hard to know what you will get if you haven't been there before. Generally chains provide some consistency and there are also more reliable reviews available. So depending on the trip and the need...

Extra Pack of Peanuts likes this.
  22. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the process of gold, I've also managed to acquire enough points for a three-night points/cash stay at the Conrad Hong Kong, saving about $1200 -- so yeah, the Gold really was worth it for me. I don't actually like being quite that loyal to Hilton, but it was a great deal.

Espan and Tenmoc like this.
  23. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a perfect example of finding other value in the transaction. These are the situations I love for most when deciding to go after Hilton Diamond or not.

24. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The two chains I patronise Hilton and SPG both give me free internet so you comment is pretty irrelevant from where I sit, in any event I believe ALL major chains now provide free internet to elites ( not to mention that most of my travel is not to $5 beach bungalows in Thailand)

i must i find it a bit disingenous or more likely just plain rationalization when you make a comment like ..."one of the main reasons staying at a chain hotel is a rip-off .." .. do you actually select a hotel because it does or does not provide
    free internet???:rolleyes:

25. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    I never really intended this comment to cause so much of a hubbub, I was simply airing out a pet peeve of mine. I apologize if it came across too strong.

I'm only an elite at places that I was able to get it for free through a promotion (Accor) or credit card signup (Hilton) and the reason for that is that I choose to stay mostly at other places, as I mentioned. I don't think the comment is irrelevant for everyone, although it may be for you, as alot of people don't have elite status. Those who do, of course the comment was not intended for them, since they don't have to pay for the internet anyway.

Providing free internet is something that I do look for in a hotel, seeing as for my work I need to have capable internet alot of times. I understand this isn't a concern for everyone, though.

I was simply speaking from the perspective of someone who has no (or low) level elite status at hotels and who needs the internet. Many, many other people will be in different situations, and so for them, the chain hotel is not the rip-off that it might be for me.