Is Hilton AMX Losing 5x Drugstore Benefit?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by mapenn, Feb 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mapenn

mapenn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've read several rumors that Hilton is dropping the 5x bonus for drugstores. But I've yet to actually receive a revised terms of agreement letter from AMX. Will this change affect existing users? Or only new applicants? Does anybody have confirmation of this? It's a very nice perk as find ourselves at our friendly neighborhood Walgreens often!

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received it in the mail today. You are correct. They are awarding more points now for restaurants and hotel stays.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Restaurants? They took away the 6x dining several years ago - is it coming back?

Btw, the thread subject should presumably be 6x, not 5x, for drugstore purchases.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are the new terms on the paperwork I received:

3 points per dollar on purchases.
    7 points per dollar on Hilton purchases.
    5 points per dollar on restaurants, supermarkets in the US (excluding superstores and warehouse clubs) and gas stations in the US (excluding superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have two Hilton AMEX cards, the Surpass and Citi Reserve, which I use exclusively to settle my hotel charges in the US and overseas and get 12x and 10x, respectively. The Citi Reserve card has no foreign transaction fee and guarantees me at least the Gold Status for as long as I have it. For other purchases I use my Chase UA cards to accumulate RDMs so this development does not bother me much...

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The previous information is effective on the first billing period after May 1, 2013

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. The restaurant multiplier is more useful to me than the drugstore benefit they are taking away, so it's not all bad for me.

(One of them isn't an Amex :) )

Last year I used the no-fee Amex to acquire Gold status. Mostly with 6x categories. This year, for now at least, it's back in the drawer. Later this year I'll likely apply for the Citi Reserve card. In the meantime I need to restock my UA account, especially with my US miles apparently defecting to OW soon ;)

NYCUA1K likes this.
  8. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks to be pretty good value for grocery stores now.

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It was 6x, so less than before.

marcwint55 and skyvan like this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yikes...Really funny!

11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, by your closing date in May!

marcwint55 likes this.
  12. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Using this card at restaurants can make some sense now but this takes away the benefit of Vanilla Reload purchases at CVS.... if you can find them.

marcwint55 likes this.
  13. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I recall (and I could be wrong) the bonus varied depending on one's HHonors elite level.

14. farwest101

farwest101 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Taking away 6x at drug stores really limits the usefulness of the card. And devaluing further with 5x at grocery. Switching to restaurants is a joke. I'd rather use my CSP and get much more useful URs than Hiltonpesos.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I spend way more in restaurants than in drug stores. Sure, if you buy VRs, this sucks for you, but I don't think Amex would care about those concerns :)

16. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't do the VR thing, but it's still gonna be a knock for me. The vast majority of my grocery spend goes to a little mom & pop on my block. They don't take AMEX, so I don't use the Hilton Amex there. There is, however, a Walgreens two blocks away. I have been able to use the Walgreens to procure stuff like all coffee, cereal, and almost all of my non-food general household stuff (e.g., paper towels; soap; detergent), all at 6HH points per dollar, while still giving the mom & pop a ton of business.

And then of course there are the cable/internet and cell bills. Neither of those is huge for me, but 6HH points is 6HH points.

Like you, I also spend a metric f-ton in restaurants over the course of a year, but that restaurant spend is my best UR point generator. As much as I'm trying to bank HH points, I'd rather not hurt my UR efforts to get them.

The AMEX Platinum, the CSP, the Freedom, and the Hilton AMEX have been a great team--the four main streams supplying my entitled little points reservoir. AMEX is building a small dam on one of those streams.

These changes stink, says I.