Is EXP jumping to 120,000 miles next year?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by brodyf, Aug 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah the first time I tried to post the app hung up and gave me some Parse error msg. It didn't show the first post for several minutes after.

4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME, I see far more unfilled premium cabin seats on American than on UA. While UA truly does have more top tier elites than they can actually serve with the promised benefits, American doesn't yet seem to have that problem on many routes. That they continue to make an effort to lure more of UA's elites further indicates to me that they need more of us.

If AA wants to gain and keep the top tier elites, however, it seems to me that they need to learn that communication is key. The absence of an elite email like 1Kvoice and the elimination of telephone access are the biggest issue holding them back. All airlines are going to have issues, but UA is pretty good at addressing them. AA may lure elites with some very attractive differences in their program, but a web form with a limited number of characters for problem resolution just doesn't cut it in today's demanding competitive environment.

JDiver likes this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Ken,

We usually agree but on this we couldn't be more opposed in opinion.

UA's operations right now are a hot mess. I highly doubt that elites are choosing one airline over the other because they don't have an elite email account for complaints. The new phone tree has been frustrating but I don't know how you could describe it as eliminating access.

zpaul likes this.
  6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    My opinion is based on my recent experience with the CPAP debacle. They have not done anything they said they would do, including a contact from their DoT complaints manager. This was not a small thing, but for me to try to find out what is going on would require starting over with their web form. I don't have the time or willingness to do that (yet), but I wouldn't have to if they had their act together regarding access.

I do agree that UA is a mess right now, and that is partially why I switched. That said, their response to 1Kvoice emails was always fast and professional up through last October when I moved to AA. I didn't need it often, just as I don't need help with AA often, but it was great to have when I did.

JDiver, zpaul, estnet and 1 other person like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps you need to get yourself one of those newfangled "tweeter" accounts :/

I totally agree, email is an efficient mechanism to convey details and get a resolution in an asynchronous way. I don't have the time to spend precious time on the phone, explaining to people who I am, what I want, just to be passed to someone else and having to start all over again.

rwoman, zpaul and KenInEscazu like this.
  8. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA emails have always been a mixed bag for me - sometimes a form response, sometimes a long while before a response, etc. While an email address is slightly preferable to a web form, neither is an experience I want to use (and I wouldn't say UA responses are any better than those from AA). What matters a lot more is that AA has given me a better experience so I don't really need to complain as much (or UA has sufficiently lowered my expectations that AA is managing to exceed them a lot more).

zpaul likes this.
  9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    One person's experience does not make a trend. That would be like saying because flights UA flights from IAD to DEN are impossible for a Platinum to clear an upgrade on (they are) means that every flight in the UA system is impossible for a Plat to clear an upgrade on.

That being said, I would draw your attention to this thread where (no guarantees) Milepoint can reach out on your behalf to touch base with AA on your issues.

zpaul likes this.
  10. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was vastly more intrigued with this:

It’s our pleasure to assist our valued AAdvantage Executive Platinum® members. Thanks for contacting us here at AAdvantage® Customer Service.

Please know that the new qualification for Executive Platinum status is now at 120,000 Elite Qualifying Miles/Points in a calendar year.

If you earn a total of at least 175,000 elite points by year-end, I will add 6 more systemwide upgrades into your account. I am hopeful you can achieve this goal since you are currently at 150,895 elite points.​

11. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a reasonably well documented internal policy - additional rewards are based on EQP and your Helix score (eagles rating). If you're planning on reaching some round EQP number past qualification, it wouldn't hurt to check.

12. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    But they won't send extra SWUs automatically at 175,000 EQPs. You will need to call and ask for them.

zpaul likes this.
  13. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do you find out your helix score?

14. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    You don't; AA will never reveal that to you. The only gauge you have is how they treat you. Get more SWU for crossing a 150,000 or 25,000 EQP threshold and get SWU, allowing you to use SWU beyond expiration, making exceptions for you they'd not make for others, you've got more Eagles going for you / have a high Helix score.

Being Executive Platinum based on miles with discounted fares, not so high Helix score - more like two chickens in the freezer.;)

120,000 EQM for EP? That wouldn't surprise me, since they raised the EQS bar earlier, and the newer "no or short notice" precedents were shown on April 8, 2014, when they added award tiers, stopped offering oneworld explorer awards, etc.

rwoman and zpaul like this.