Is every traveller making use of mileage points

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Makrand Desai, Feb 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Makrand Desai

Makrand Desai New Member

Status Points:
    I always wondered whether every traveller takes advantages of the mileage points, if all the points of the travellers are put together then I feel that the airlines will go bankrupt ???
    May be its human to not to use the the points always!!!

2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. Walk around in the gate area and peek at other pax' boarding passes. It varies from flight to flight, but there will usually be a lot that don't have a frequent flyer number on them.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    A surprisingly large number of travelers don't collect points. And, for many of them, that's actually probably the smarter decision. For relatively infrequent travelers shopping based on price and ignoring the allure of points will actually end up being the better value.

MX likes this.
  5. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Though I would argue taking 20 seconds to create an airline rewards account for the particular airline after going through that process isn't a bad idea either, even if you don't track it. It isn't a major time investment. I flew with a friend last year BOS-SFO roundtrip on AA (with connections), I had the AC create an account for the friend and add the new AAdvantage number to the tickets. Almost 6000 miles right there, though said friend hasn't flown AA since and they will likely expire in 6 months from now (18 months after flights). However, just two RTs like that (not unreasonable within 18 months time) is almost enough for a domestic milesAAver ticket. If they're going to give them to you, you might as well take it, even if you end up not using it. I think my VX points were supposed to expire recently, it wasn't worth doing anything to keep them valid though, I would have needed 3-4x more points than what I had to get anything of value. I still created the account though.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, if you keep track and if you fly enough you might almost get close enough for an award. Like I said, for relatively infrequent travelers not a lot of value there. ;)

The real issue is when the relatively infrequent traveler thinks that they're getting such a great deal with the points that they start paying extra to accumulate them. If that friend pays $50 for the next flight under the guise of collecting enough points to get close to an award they probably will have wasted $50. The programs are great if you pay attention and leverage them. Most folks just want an occasional ride from A to B. And there's nothing wrong with that.

7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    But on an airline like Delta with no expiration there is absolutely no reason not to collect points. Over 10-15 years of infrequent travel you might actually eventually earn something.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And before the points expire, I'd look into what you can do with them. Perhaps transfer them at a non-favorable rate at points.com into another more useful program. 1/3 of the value is better than zero value.

I collect miles and points for pretty much every travel transaction that offers them. Every few years I discover that I have enough miles in some odd account for, say, a one-way trip. Recently I combined a WN one-way with a VX one-way for essentially a free roundtrip to Vegas. Not a huge value (UA would have been $250), but it also cost me very little in effort.

My in-laws flew from the west coast to Israel last year. I made them sign up for a UA MP account. They may not fly again before the miles expire, but I have a reminder in my calendar to "cease" their accounts before the miles expire and use them to fly someone in the family somewhere. One-way awards are quite useful in that regard.

9. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree.

10. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had maybe a few hundred points, whatever I got for spending $119 each way for BOS-LAX, which wasn't a lot.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My account might have been a bit "topguested" off.

12. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to stay at hotels and not collect the points. At 10 points or less per dollar, I felt that I would never earn enough points for a free stay, so why bother? A few years ago, I let 11,000 United miles expire because I thought that my travel days were behind me. I think that I tried to give them to a charity, but I don't know if it actually went through.

I have several friends and family that don't collect miles and points. They might fly every couple of years and only stay in hotels for one or two nights a year. Travel is not important to them, so miles and points are useless for them.

Even for people that are interested, I feel that there is a large time commitment involved in getting up to speed on this hobby. People sometimes ask me if spending the time is worth it. So far, I have answered yes. However, as the game has moved towards manufactured spend and credit card churning and less away from promotions (RIP US Airways Grand Slam), I fear that my answer will begin to swing towards no.

13. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    The correct thing to do for an infrequent traveler on AA who lives in an AA hub is credit to BA, I would argue, because BA's awards are distance-based- as low as 4500 miles one-way for a trip of up to 650 miles, plus you can do a family account...

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The infrequent traveler would be unlikely to know that, though. But yes, if you have such a person in your family and are helping them with their travel needs, that's a great tip.