is ELFORB followed on domestic 763 flights in F?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by TheBeerHunter, Jan 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know whether they follow FEBO or ELFORB (or whatever the heck the FAs want to :)) on domestic 763 flights? I'm choosing seats for a last minute trip this weekend and hate getting stuck on the wrong end of FEBO/ELFORB/whatever.

2. aadmiral

aadmiral Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes it's FEBO (Front Even, Back Odd) and they do follow those procedures. Only once in a great while do I have to give the a friendly reminder when they forget.

zpaul likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I don't take domestic 763s very often, but when I have it's been very much YMMV, I've seen both FEBO and ELFORB. Most often I've seen two FAs simultaneously going down both aisles though.

zpaul and TheBeerHunter like this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Also, for those who aren't familiar with the terms (FEBO is common but ELFORB less so...):

From the wiki:

Passengers should know that AA always runs out of entree choices in First and Business Class. If choice in food is important to you, what row you choose to sit in may determine whether you get your choice: on even number flights requests will be taken from the front first; on odd numbered flights requests will be taken from the back first. This is called the FEBO (Front Even, Back Odd) method. However, note that service will still generally begin from the front of the cabin. On certain widebody flights where a two-aisle cabin is served by a single flight attendant, the ELFORB (Even Left Front, Odd Right Back) method of taking meal orders may be used. When applicable, second/third meal/snack service will not follow FEBO, but will instead always be front-to-back.

SpecialK, zpaul and LarryInNYC like this.
  5. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do they normally respond to you reminding them? I'd expect some to be put off by a passenger reminding them of a procedural part of their job.

6. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    DestinationDavid, how do you add something to the glossary on MP? You know, where you highlight a word and it gives a definition? ELFORB seems like a good addition to make :)

zpaul likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There is a "Contact Us" link on the homepage for the glossary here: LINK. I agree, I think you should submit it. ;)

TheBeerHunter and zpaul like this.
  8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Left and Right facing which way?

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The direction the passenger faces.

So order taking on even flights start in the left aisle at the front, and odd flights start in the right aisle at the back.

That is all assuming your FA is following proper ELFORB. :)

zpaul likes this.
  10. aadmiral

aadmiral Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I mention FEBO they usually laugh and tell me I fly too much!!!

anabolism and zpaul like this.
  11. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    "On certain widebody flights where a two-aisle cabin is served by a single flight attendant, the ELFORB (Even Left Front, Odd Right Back) method of taking meal orders may be used."

Which flights/cabins are these?

12. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    They tend to be long haul flights that operate with a purser. On a normal domestic flight that does not have a purser, the F/As follow FEBO and serve from the cart.

zpaul and DestinationDavid like this.
  13. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably going a little OT here, forgive me...

I've been on quite a few domestic 763 flights recently and never had just one crew member in J (F domestic, yes, I know). Unless there are a ton of open seats (which wouldn't be a consideration in crew planning as seats are sold and upgrades are granted up to the last minute) it would seem that there should be more than one FA for that number of pax? I though there was some sort of FAA reg for that (although I suppose they don't specify number of cabin crew per cabin, just per number of total pax). I certainly wouldn't want to be on a trans-con in J with 28-30 other pax and just one crew member responsible for service AND safety of the entire cabin.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  14. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Considering it's from a wiki, I would assume whoever originally wrote it was just incorrect. There are legal requirements with regard to flight attendant to passenger ratios (not that I know what they are, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in!) that would make it more or less impossible for there to be just one FA for the entire J/F cabin in a 763 based on current config.

zpaul likes this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As mentioned above, it's mostly on long haul international flights. The purser goes through the cabin to take the orders. It doesn't have anything to do with the number of FAs on the plane nor how the food is served. Just order taking.

anabolism likes this.
  16. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry! I didn't make the "international" connection, which was really throwing me off. I think I went awry from the mention of "normal" domestic flights, so I presumed this was a domestic thing:
    I get it now. Pursers are mainly on international flights.

Never had it happen to me, but I understand it. If only one person is taking orders, it makes sense...up one aisle, cut over behind the cabin and head down the other. Efficient.

17. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the way, as far as I am aware, only us flyers use terms such as FEBO. If there is a term used within AA to describe the order for orders, neither I nor the few FAs I've chatted with about this [usually talk about something else :)] know it.

zpaul likes this.
  18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is it really flyers in the US, or just AA flyers? I know UA follows a different format, not sure about the rest.

zpaul likes this.
  19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    PMDL did FEBO, PMNW did not, and now DL has discontinued the practice. On long haul, elites usually get the first meal choices while nonrevs are supposed to get the last choice.

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like what UA does. FEBO might be AA specific for existing airlines.

21. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was using the word "us" not the abbreviation "U.S."

I meant "us flyers" as in "we flyers" as in us, the passengers. :)

22. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    FEBO is very much a AA insider term, it was not created by MPers or folks from TOBB.

DestinationDavid likes this.