Is Economy Comfort/Plus Worth the Price?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Feb 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is Economy Comfort/Plus Worth the Price?

I did not see this posted...having spent many flights in DL's Economy Comfort (free for me), I think it's worth it. That said, the recline is better on some a/c than others. Of the many 764's I've flown, the one last night (BOS-LHR - N833MH) had really great recline...seemingly more so than the others.

I like the fact this article does a cost breakdown and comparison.

:)

cennas, Blue Skye, sobore and 2 others like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to admit I think Delta got the pricing right at $40 each way. Seems to be a win-win for the PAX and for Delta.

3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not me, but I think many like the free spirits. ;)

cennas, uggboy and kyunbit like this.
  4. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    $40 for transatlantic sounds pretty cheap to me.

rwoman, uggboy and autolycus like this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought it was more - it's based on length of the flight.

DL Economy Comfort SITE

Per the DL BLOG, cost ranges from $80-$160 per segment. It is free for PM/DM and discounted for GM/FO.

cennas, uggboy and autolycus like this.
  6. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, stinks not being an elite and having to pay much more than $40 each way, but that's what the Amex Platinum airline benefit is for. . . :)

uggboy and rwoman like this.
  7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think even Silvers get 25% off the price unless they withdrew that benefit this year.

rwoman, autolycus and uggboy like this.
  8. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is still supposed to be correct. PM = free, DM = free, GM = 50% off, SM/FO = 25% off

rwoman likes this.
  9. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    one of the reasons we fly both UA/CO and DL is the economy plus seating. being a tall family, we need the extra legroom when we can't afford to upgrade/buy business or first class. it has made travel a lot nicer for us. elite status or not, i think it is well worth the extra cost.

rwoman and autolycus like this.
  10. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happiness is knowing you're going to have, at a minimum E+ on UA as an elite. And the bulkhead on most flights, and block that 'friendship" seat, makes it soooo much better. And all that available over head bin space. -- Life is good.
    Don't know that I would pay real $ for it though, hope I don't ever have to find out. :p

rwoman likes this.
  11. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying on a discount economy BA ticket to London (mileage-earning, not a consolidator fare) last summer, tried to see what E+ would cost for the one way return trip. The additional airfare and fees were approximately $1800 above what I had already paid. For an extra few inches legroom. Idiotic...

12. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yikes! Delta's is definitely more reasonably priced. Does BA at least offer other benefits beyond just a few extra inches of pitch and a little more recline? Are the seats substantially more comfortable? Better meal service? anything?!

rwoman likes this.
  13. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    On BA, I think the premium economy product is more closely aligned to that on Air France - better seats, their own cabin (between Y and J), and the same food as Y.

autolycus likes this.
  14. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I figured there had to be some larger distinction. Still not sure it's worth ~$1k or more... so I'm glad DL and UA/CO went with the "comfort" version that's truly just economy plus a little extra space and a more affordable price point.

15. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've only experienced premium economy on AF so far and it made a huge difference for me. I am generally miserable on TATL flights, don't sleep a bit, cold, uncomfortable. If I had to pay for the premium voyager on AF out of my own pocket above my regular fare (I fly for business) I certainly would. I was able to somewhat curl up in the seat and go to sleep... which I never get to do TATL. I usually arrive a full on zombie after a 8-12 hour flight. (I'm 5'6", normal sized girl, for reference on who fits in the seats)

And yes, PV on AF is quite different from domestic EC. The seats are totally different. Hard shell seats that slide and recline, the seat in front of you never moves. More storage around you, footrests, separate cabin.

16. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I've posted pics of EC versus Y on the 764 to give an idea of the difference; thread is in the DL forum. I'm 5'3" to give some perspective.

There's also a definite difference in the recline on most of the a/c I've been on.

:)

cennas and autolycus like this.
  17. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the pics! The difference does indeed look noticeable.

I missed the time when UA used to hand out the Economy Plus seating to *A elites for free. The extra leg room was definitely appreciated since I'm 6'2".

rwoman likes this.
  18. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I figured a comparison might be helpful. :)

autolycus and cennas like this.
  19. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    My upgrade didn't clear on the way back flying OGG-SFO, but I didn't really mind at all. E+ is plenty of space, so all I missed out on was the food (and I still had F on SFO-SEA to look forward to for some free scotch).

desamo likes this.