Is domestic pre-departure beverage service "optional"?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by wilkinsonmd, Apr 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. wilkinsonmd

wilkinsonmd Active Member

Status Points:
    As a recent convert from United, I noticed something on Delta I'm curious about. When I'm in domestic first I've only been offered a pre-departure beverage about 50% of the time. Is this normal? On United, even when boarding was delayed, pre-departure beverages almost always seemed to be standard.

daninstl likes this.
  2. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    No. It's is supposed to be standard unless the flight has incurred a departure delay. In my experience, most crews still try to get in a service even with a delay. Sounds like bad luck (or lots of Delta Connection flights--they do tend to skip it if there's a delay).

daninstl likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that the flight will still operate even if PDDs are not served, yes, it is optional. Doesn't mean you should expect that it won't happen and it does far more often than not. But the pilots don't include that in the pre-flight checklist. ;)

4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    If catering is late, which would you prefer a flight that gets delayed, or getting outta there and not missing a slot causing a cascading delay?

DTWBOB

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    downhillcrasher and daninstl like this.
  5. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fresh word, DLPDB4L

6. wilkinsonmd

wilkinsonmd Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all. Seems like it's all based on operations. With the standard being to offer it.