Is DL really this bad?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Canadi>n, Mar 31, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had to fly from ATL-YYZ yesterday as a reverse positioning flight for an MR. While I admit flying a regional affiliate is not the best way to experience an airline, I was rather disappointed with my flight in F on a DL regional CR9 yesterday evening. Must say it was worse than my UA experiences on their regional flights, which is pretty bad.

My dilemma was paying $650 for a one-way, or using an award. I had access to some orphan DL miles and finding that AC had nothing available and both AA and UA were inconvenient flight times since I’d have to do a connection at DFW or IAH and not get home until after midnight, or leave too early in the day which would mean no sight seeing around Martin Luther King’s historical district, and the US Parks Service’s interpretive centre on the civil rights leader and the movement he led. So I booked a 25K award in F on DL. (Yes, a waste, though previous searches to use these miles failed to turn up any transcons or longer flights on DL itself for this many or a few thousand more miles.)

Now I know regionals don’t cater the same way as mainline, but at least UA gives us a box of snack items like hummus and pita chips and veggies, etc. AA gives a fruit plate and sandwich wrap, as does AC. Yesterday on a flight scheduled as 2h 5m departing at 5p we got offered a bag of horrid trail mix or a banana! Nor was there any scotch nor the promoted/promised DL One special Jim Beam single barrel!

I had read that DL had led the way in improving inflight catering on its NAmerican flights, so I can hardly imagine what I'd have been offered prior to these improvements?!

And why am I told on my boarding pass that boarding would begin at 4:05p when we didn't start boarding until 4:30p? In my experience the only other airline that never boards at the time stated on the boarding pass is AC.

I suppose these are some of the reasons the DL elites I know have been fleeing to AA.

2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes I wonder why they bother having two cabins on regionals.

Last time I flew DL regional we only got a bottled water, same with the higher cabin. (Forgot if it was J or F)

daninstl and uggboy like this.
  3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently flew Delta for the first time in a long while. My experience in F on an RJ was quite different. We had something that resembled real food. It wasn't spectacular, but it's better catering than I've seen anyone else offer on an RJ. And there was a full snack basket after the meal, too.

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I take it you haven't been stuck on an e-145 for almost 3 hours on UA, like I have in the past...

My dilemma was paying $650 for a one-way, or using an award. I had access to some orphan DL miles and finding that AC had nothing available and both AA and UA were inconvenient flight times since I’d have to do a connection at DFW or IAH and not get home until after midnight, or leave too early in the day which would mean no sight seeing around Martin Luther King’s historical district, and the US Parks Service’s interpretive centre on the civil rights leader and the movement he led. So I booked a 25K award in F on DL. (Yes, a waste, though previous searches to use these miles failed to turn up any transcons or longer flights on DL itself for this many or a few thousand more miles.)[/quote]a 25k award to save $650 is not a waste. 2.6 real CPM is a good return on miles, unless you're routinely using them in place of paid F/J (which you clearly aren't if the stack of miles is orphaned) at non-deal prices.

The flight to atlanta is 739 miles. With Delta you get the "251mile-899mile" catering("hearty selection of savory and healthy snacks"). With American you would get "700-899 mile" ("Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.")
    catering. With UA you get "200-799" mile ("These flights feature light breakfast refreshments, which include muffins, on flights departing before 9:59 a.m. or a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit on flights departing after 10 a.m." - how informative regarding non-breakfast flights...and apparently they are just now starting to cater RJ meals?) catering.

I do not fly UA or AC with any regularity. AA catering is not really as you described at that flight distance. More like warm nuts and a snack basket (including some crappy sandwiches)

I have not seen or heard of Delta serving or promoting Jim Beam Single Barrel on any flights (highly promoted?). Even if this spirit that I cannot see mentioned anywhere is "highly promoted", what would make you expect a spirit promoted for international business class to show up on a regional jet???

If catering was as you described, it sounds like the flight may have been missing the snack basket for some reason.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL5458/history/20150330/2100Z/KATL/CYYZ
    The flight apparently left 15 minutes late if this is the one (but the boarding times you list seem off). It boarded 25 minutes later than printed. That doesn't seem particularly egregious. I never trust or care about any printed boarding times anyway as in my opinion they are put there to try to get people to the gate sooner than they need to be. Contrary to your experience, I don't find them accurate with most airlines.
    Not really. I find DL service to be at least as good, operational reliability significantly better, more RJs with first, better booze, maybe a bit worse food/catering, although the merger has cut back on AA's offering there. AA won my business on routemap first, competitive pricing second, and FF program third. Onboard service was NOT a factor in switching, and onboard and in-airport experience + operational integrity is something that DL generally does very well - well enough that they feel that they can offer a worse FF program.

Your experience seems atypical, and also your expectations and comparisons unreasonable.

anileze likes this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a longer flight, there is legit meal service. This flight was too short to get that.

6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta One is their lie-flat bed transcon and international luxury service. Maybe they have the single barrel on those flights -- I don't know. But definitely not on an RJ and Delta One is definitely not on an RJ ;)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    As others have said, on flights of similar length both AA and UA basically to snack baskets.

If you got a nicer snack box on either, it must have been a longer flight that fell into the next catering band.

In general I find DL regional products to be better than UA due to wifi and basically similar to AA on the same airframe.

Can't speak for AC as I've only ever flown AC mainline.

8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday flew AA, LGA-ATL in F, just about the same distance as ATL-YYZ. Served a plate with a roast beef sandwich and potato salad on flight departing at 4:30p. Alternate was chicken caesar salad. Aircraft was a CR700. So much superior to DL's offering. (And they didn't run out of Scotch whisky!)

jonspencer likes this.
  9. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes Delta is that bad but inexplicably some posters here will make excuses about why they are not :eek:

redtailshark likes this.
  10. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    But...but...but, wait, no, DL is not bad at all. No indeed. DL is - as always -

[​IMG]mejor en su clase[​IMG]

jonspencer and viguera like this.
  11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    AS for the bourbon, the special barrel was prominently advertised on the drinks page of the DL inflight magazine. So if you're going to promote something in that fashion, you should make sure it's provisioned in your drink carts. (I doubt my FA even bothered to check with his colleague in the back to see if he had either the Scotch or this bourbon in his cart.)

jonspencer likes this.
  12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Special barrel, single barrel, delta one...

Can you at least keep your story straight? And if it was promoted on delta one why would you expect it anyway? And why would you expectvan FA to hunt for it? And what Scotxh did you ask for?

13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see there are certain restrictions on the drinks option.
    Was the drink you asked for one of them?
    Also, sometimes, it is possible to have no availability to begin with due to stock issues.
    Even Peanuts and Pretzels had inventory issues on some of the flights and if it's unavailable, it's unavailable.

Enjoy the In-Flight magazine here :D

upload_2015-4-9_9-19-16.png

upload_2015-4-9_9-19-20.png upload_2015-4-9_9-19-25.png

14. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find Delta to be the superior airline in Y, but I'd take American in F. United doesn't really excel in either