Is Diamond Worth It?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Jason, Jul 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been Hilton Gold, and was plugging along this year focusing on keeping the Gold status. We really enjoy the room upgrades we've received as well as the executive lounge access (not to mention free WIFI).

Low and behold, as I was projecting out our future stays this year, we'll actually only be about 18,000 points short of Diamond status. I have a few stays booked at some other chains (because of location or cost) and if I were to change then to Hilton stays, I'd be within 7,000 points.

I've never been Diamond before and am trying to decide if it's worth the extra effort to achieve.
    What do you guys think?

2. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am diamond, should drop to gold for 2012. I can't say I have ever seen any difference between the two, you of course get diamond force but I've never used it and if you look around you'll notice that there's some debate on its worth with changes to award stays.

Otherwise I think that diamond only gets you a little extra something when space is limited, then you'd pass before the golds.

3. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have to say that Diamond and Gold are not a big difference maker, but I have been allowed to use the lounge in many Hilton properties without being upgraded to the executive floor. I think it really matters more about where you stay. If you plan to stay internationally, in Europe or Asia, then having Diamond gives you a better chance (or guarantee) of having lounge access, thand their lounges are miles better than anything in U.S. Also, you have a bit better chance of an upgrade, or at least that is the impression I got after hitting Diamond, I notice a few better rooms than Gold.

Cheers,

PedroNY

4. airevac

airevac Active Member

Status Points:
    I've been a Diamond for nearly a decade and frequently travel with Golds. There is no significant difference other than the 72 hour force booking into a sold out hotel. Hilton has turned into...perhaps has been, a fairly insignificant loyalty program for their top elite status. Gold and Diamonds get free internet and the implied room upgrade. I say this because what the mysterious person behind the counter states is the hotels upgraded room, isn't always the truth.

Aim for Gold and then aim for Starwood gold as well (a better product).

HiIslands, Davescj and uggboy like this.
  5. YBJFK

YBJFK Active Member

Status Points:
    Right now I am running all around Arizona taking advantage of the "redic" low prices on Hilton Hotels during the summer months (and crediting the double airline points to my BMI account) to obtain Diamond. Now I have been treated quite well in many of Hilton's international properties as a Gold, but I know the Hilton ADT in Paris could not provide me with lounge access. My goal is to obtain Diamond in order to go the Beach House in the Maldives. IMO there is a big difference between Gold and Diamond at these properties. In the US, not so much.

uggboy likes this.
  6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps you aught to stop staying only in Hampton Inns or HGIs:)

In my opinion there is a sighificant difference between Gold and Diamond particularly at International properties and some NA hotels.
    BTW the Diamond Special request ( did you forget that it still exits in places?) is still available for award stays .. just secured one for the Hilton Sonoma on Labour day at a sold out property.

As Diamond I have never been denied lounge access and I have a 80%+ upgrade rate at International HH hotels (ADT, Cavalieri, Hilton Sorrento, Hilton Lyon, Hilton Buda Castle, Hilton Dobrovnik, Conrad Tokyo just to name a few.
    Last US stay (awards) nice two room suite at the Santa Fe Hilton.

uggboy likes this.
  7. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have to be Diamond to book an award at the Maldives Beach House? I'm saving up my points to go there, and I wasn't aware of that requirement...

uggboy likes this.
  8. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have scored some very nice upgrades as a Diamond, ones that I am certain that I would not have received as a Gold. And the Diamond Desk is (generally) very helpful, which is another perk,

uggboy likes this.
  9. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. Just that the Beach House has specific Gold/Diamond rules, only Diamond gets the choice of free breakfast which can be quite the savings.

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/about/diamond.do

Diamond package gets you either the free breakfasts or happy hour (Scroll down into the Waldorf Astoria section and look for the Beach House)

Golds don't get the choice, and their package doesn't include the free breakfast.

10. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're planning international travel at HHonors properties in 2012 then maybe worth a little effort, particularly if you're staying in the a fore mentioned ADT, Beach House, etc.

If you're staying domestic, & with Diamond Force redemption's going away, I'd say its unlikely to be worth too much effort and probably not worth effort and $$.

uggboy likes this.
  11. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are close to becoming Diamond, then it is certainly worthwhile to reach it by booking a few extra stays or nights. How many stays or nights will you be short? On the weekends, a few quick mattress runs at Hamptons or Hilton Garden Inns can be low cost and bump up your stays to earn Diamond.

uggboy likes this.
  12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not bother unless you are planning on going to some inspirational properties next year or you have a certain goal of HHonors points you want to attain for an award.

uggboy likes this.
  13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be as breif here as I can:)

So tell me what do those who think there is no difference between HH Gold and Diamond think about the emerging evidence that members (including myself) have been able to book rewards (standard rooms only) which have been designated DIamond only rewards? ... that when it appears on the face of it no awards are available and none of the high points upsell rooms are listed/offered.

Could it be that HH are holding back some inventory solely for Diamonds??? ......ooooo bad boys.. dey not gonna like dis:D

uggboy likes this.
  14. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    The best Diamond benefit is being able to get a standard reward night opened up when the hotel in question was out of 'standard' rooms. Other than that, being guaranteed access to the executive lounge is nice, especially at international hotels.

If you are that close, I would go for it, especially if you have any international travel next year.

gomike and uggboy like this.
  15. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are numerous reports that Hilton is now denying the so-called Diamond Force benefit if the property has premium rooms available for reward redemption -- and since those rooms often cost 3-10x the points for a standard room, that is seldom an adequate alternative.

Right now Premium Room Rewards is still a pilot program applicable at a small subset of properties, but the Hilton website says it will be widely expanded in September 2011. When that happens, Diamond Force becomes a dead letter.

gomike and uggboy like this.
  16. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would probably need to make a few mattress runs to hit Diamond again this year. I think I will hold off to see the fallout from this change before I work too hard on that - it's easy to find a $49 per night Hampton Inn in DFW.

If we had travel planned next year for a location with a very nice executive lounge, I might still invest a $200 or so to hit Diamond, in order to ensure lounge access at the international hotel. Between breakfast and free cocktails and snacks at night, I think that is a reasonable value.

uggboy likes this.
  17. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree completely about the Starwood being better. I am top tier in both Hilton and SPG. My wife and I just got back from a trip to Europe and stayed at both a Hilton and 2 SPG properties. The following is what we received:

1. Istanbul Doubletree Old Town: Upgrade to "deluxe" room. Did not seem like much of an upgrade but did get breakfast.
    2. Athens Grande Bretagne (SPG): Upgrade to a deluxe suite (not a Jr. Suite) overlooking Constitution Square. Exceptionally good room. Upgrade noted on reservation before arrival. Also received complementary bottle of wine and were sent to the "special" check in area. Offered champagne etc while we were checking in.
    3. Westin Excelsior Rome: Upgraded to a Grand Deluxe Suite overlooking the Via Veneto. Upgrade noted on reservation prior to arrival. Could not have asked for a better corner suite. Flowers and a fruit basket delivered to the room after we arrived. Could not have asked for a better room.

This is not to say that your experience will be the same. I had sent e-mails to all three hotels explaining that this was a vacation and we were celebrating an anniversary. This may have helped.

uggboy likes this.
  18. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    From reading other threads on TOBB, it appears that Hilton will no longer do a "Diamond Force" for awards. In my mind, this is a major devaluation of the HHonors program.

uggboy likes this.
  19. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not quite correct. For properties not offering Premium Room Rewards (or in the unlikely event that a participating property has no PRRs available), Diamond Force can still be done. But its days are numbered: as soon as PRR is rolled out widely, auf Wiedersehen.

uggboy likes this.
  20. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a Diamond for several years, I can't say that I see much of a difference between Diamond status and Gold status. I seldom get room upgrades anymore. I select them via my "free" upgrade in the reservation but to me it doesn't feel like much of an upgrade. I feel like where the REAL difference comes in if you are a Gold versus Diamond is if you frequent a particular hotel very often. If you get to know the GM of the property AND you are a Diamond I find you get incredible service. For example, business brought me often last year to Seattle (before I eventually moved there) and I stayed A TON at the downtown Hilton Seattle. I was always given fantastic rooms after getting to know the GM and several times was given Presidential Suites even though I booked a standard room.

uggboy likes this.
  21. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    With the points requirements that some of the Hilton hotels are putting on Premium Room Rewards, there is no way that a hotel will not jump on that "benefit". As I have posted elsewhere, the Paris ADT does not have any standard rooms available from the end of April 2012 to December 2012 (50K per night before VIP / AXON reduction). However, they do have "King Plus" rooms (that have the same description as a standard room) available for over 100K per night. Nice increase in revenue for the hotel for giving someone a "king plus". By the way, a King Deluxe is even more than a King Plus.

I suspect that the ADT will always have PRR's available because they list the top of the line suite at over 970,000 points per night.

22. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well its much too early for us to speculate how this will pan out.

1) If HH members refuse to redeem points at the new stratopheric rates and hotels are unable to sell these rooms
    then who benefits? Neither the property or HH.
    If the demand is not there I guarantee the higher point rates will fall.

2) Frankly I dont buy the conclusion that hotels will "jump on that beneift" because the Diamons Special request is got to be more lucrative for the properties
    Basically hotels like the ADT get approx $100 from HH for standard award room if one translates the normal
    50k award to a 100k award then its possible that might they get up to $200. If one makes a DSR HH has to pay the hotel close to the rack rate consequently the hotel is getting around 400 euro, More than $600 per room.

23. Apologies I have only just joined. In Europe, I would say honours diamond is worth masses in the hotels with exec lounges with free drink and food. Less sure in America though you always get a good room.

deant likes this.
  24. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never set foot in a Hilton outside of NA. I've never gotten a "poor" room, but a "good" room is typically the same room on a higher floor with access to the lounge. A few Hilton's have surprised me over the years, but unless moving up to a suite -- a room is usually a room.

deant likes this.