Is DIAMOND worth $450

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by YOURGLOCKMAN, May 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. YOURGLOCKMAN

YOURGLOCKMAN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on my travel the rest of the year, it appears I will be 6 stays short of Diamond.
    There is a Hilton Garden Inn which has quoted me a rate of $71 per night.
    Is it worth checking in, going home for the night, and checking out the next morning?
    Does Diamond really get that many extras over Gold?

nime01, Flying Bat, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you know if you'll make good use of it next year?

nime01, Flying Bat and jbcarioca like this.
  3. YOURGLOCKMAN

Status Points:

macbookguy, nime01 and jbcarioca like this.
  4. YOURGLOCKMAN

Status Points:
    Probably 12-18 stays, much like this year. This year was a little busier, but always 1-2 stays per month.
    The main hotel I stay in is the London Olympia Hilton, and that hotel only upgrades Diamond level.
    Won't be staying the during the Olympics as they have upped their rate to £400 per night, that's
    $600 plus 18% VAT, so you'll be paying $700 per night.

5. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    could you extend any of those travels you already have planned by a day? or go a day early? depending on what you do, maybe you could make the most of the $71 rate and actually stay at it if something in the area is of interest to you

6. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm Diamond with Hilton and I've noticed very little difference between that and Gold. The special Diamond line is also not very helpful and a few times has even been rude. With all of that aside, there are some instances like you mentioned above where it would come in useful.

I would try emailing Hilton to see if they would offer you a challenge to obtain Diamond.

nime01 and jbcarioca like this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience as a diamond has been the complete opposite of yours and when anyone says there is little difference
    between Diamond and Gold and taking into consideration the recent enhancements for Diamonds i just in have to shake my head in disbelief. :rolleyes:
    Sure there have been times when the DD has not been as helpful ( by no means unique to HH however) as I might have wanted but there have times I have gotten exceptional service... rude?? never happened to this guy.

The OP has to consider whether the properties his future stays will be at and if for instance it includes a number of overseas hotels then I would say it may very well be worth it.

I am curious as to what type of challenge you think or expect HH to offer if the OP is only six stays from Diamond.
    Two stays until Diamond??? Never heard of it.:)

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:

It is probably time to stop this canard otherwise it is hard to believe that anyone who makes the claim even has Diamond status. Differences between HH Diamond and HH Gold are significant, especially recently:
    • I do not remember failing to be upgraded as HH Diamond over the last couple of years...if ever (I even stopped requesting upgrades because I always got them without asking). As a Gold, upgrades were usually a crap shoot.
    • Diamonds get exec lounge access no matter what; Golds must first get upgraded before they can see the inside of an exec lounge.
    • Diamonds can now get suite upgrades. one of which I got recently without even asking; this is not a benefit that Golds can claim.
    • I have found the HH Diamond desk to be one of the more responsive help desks that I have dealt with in the travel industry, so I am sorry that you just ran into a rare CSR who was "rude"...but sometimes such things can be reciprocal and the initiator can be tough to determine, especially when the customer is always right...
    • Stash of standard awards inventory bookable by Diamonds only.
    There is more, but the fact that you have "noticed very little difference between that and Gold" makes one wonder.

As for the OP, with 12-18 stays a year, I would say: just do it! In fact, you average more stays than I do, but I qualify on base points, as each of my stays tends to be a bit long and pricey. I now have just 8 stays but have already raked in 58K points.

9. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I sorta agree ....

What the OP has to decide is what is an upgrade worth --- last year I stayed at a Hilton resort at a deep discount rate of $70 per night, but got upgraded to a room with a rack rate of about $900, but used the room just to shower, change clothes and get some sleep.

Was that worth $800 to me -- nah -- but the free breakfast was worth some money and I can get that by being just gold.

Recently, I had use what I call a Diamond Force to book a room at a hotel that was full in a situation where the location of the hotel was critical (for that night at least).... to me that was worth a lot more than an upgrade would ever be worth.

DTWBOB

weevinweaver, whkento, nime01 and 4 others like this.
  10. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been impressed all that much lately being a Diamond and have reduced my stays to a bare minimum. The main reason was because the top end properties really don't seem to care all that much if you are a Diamond, e.g., ADT and Hilton Park Lane. I do, however, like the mid-tier Hiltons. For example, at the Hilton Munich City or Hilton Monona Terrace in Madison, WI, you will be treated much better as a Diamond. That being said, you are close and if it was me, I'd suck it up and do the stays for status.

nime01, jbcarioca and serion like this.
  11. tomy77

tomy77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about using points instead? You might get lucky and find cat 1 (7500 pts) somewhere close.
    That's what i did.
    I found 2 cat 1 Hampton (surprisingly the rate is $80+, a steal for using cat 1 pts) close to each other, so i just hop between the 2.

Edit: If you have amex surpass, you'll get 500 pts for stay (even using award apparently).
    So it only cost you 7000.

nime01, jbcarioca and serion like this.
  12. YOURGLOCKMAN

Status Points:
    Good idea. I do occasionally see a 7,500 hotel. And with over 600K points built up, I guess I could spring a few.
    Thanks again for all the input.

13. YOURGLOCKMAN

Status Points:
    Forgot one thing. I do have the Surpass card and it has been great in accumulating points.

14. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    That might be the answer to your problem spend $40k in one calender year and your will get Diamond (at least) for the rest of that year, all the subsequent year until the end of March the following year.

15. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    This has been my experience as well. I've had several Hampton Inns upgrade me to rooms with a jacuzzi and the Double Trees almost always put me in a corner room. However, the the higher end Hilton's and Waldorf Astoria's seem to care less about your loyality. But I do realize everyone's experiences will vary based on your pattern of travel.

nime01 likes this.
  16. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your experiences are obviously very different from mine. In the higher end properties (where I stay for vacations and not for business) I rarely get upgraded unless I ask. As for the HH Diamond desk, they fall short of the level of service Hyatt and Starwood provide. They seldom go out of their way to contact properties on my behalf or go the extra mile to provide me with additional information.

I'm sure you're wondering why then do I stay so many times with Hilton? It comes down to price. I've found their lower/mid-tier properties to be the most price completive. In the areas I stay the most; I can get a room at the Hilton Garden Inn for $47 a night! The Double Tree's and Hampton Inns are around the same price.

So although I find their loyalty program lacking, they have a sold product.

nime01 likes this.
  17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I gave reasons why the notion that there is hardly any difference between HH Diamonds and Golds is untenable. It would help to provide concrete, indisputable, cases. To say that HH CSR folks are "rude" buys you no goodwill, because customers who feel entitled can be rude and turn around and blame it on CSR folks. Specific, hard-to-misinterpret, cases would be required before the case for "rudeness" is made, IMHO.

I would agree with the latter portion of the post: It depends on one's pattern of travel. Go to Asia...
    I have stayed at several properties in Asia, yearly, for the past few years and I still have personalized cards that say things like (this one is from Waldorf-Astoria Shanghai on the Bund since you singled out "higher end" properties):

"Dear Dr. NYCUA1K:
    Thank you for staying with us. Wish you enjoy the stay here. Please do let me know when there is anything I can do for you.
    Sincerely yours,
    Serena
    Your personal Concierge."

I also got one of these personalized cards at Conrad Hong Kong, and neither was empty promise to deliver. I could call on my personal concierge any time. Importantly, both were reward stays (no hard money), and I am going back there because of the truly dedicated service I got. If you do not like Hilton yet, then go to Asia, where true service still means something. They are not happy unless you are happy. But the HH Diamond Desk (I'd said 1K!) should not be maligned because they are truly tops in the industry...

nime01 likes this.
  18. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Diamond status will come in handy at international Hilton locations where hotels may go above and beyond with benefits for Diamond members. One may get a much better room or a suite and possibly access to the full breakfast buffet depending upon the hotel's policy.

anabolism, nime01 and NYCUA1K like this.
  19. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree 100%. Overall have received very nice treatment as a Diamond.

I would think that it would be worth it to try to hit Diamond, particularly if you are planning on burning any of those points on a nice vacation sometime over the next 21 months (although if it were me I would probably wait til later in the year to pull the trigger - - unless that rate is a sesonal thing). Double points promo runnning now so you will earn a few more points - - unless you think that there might be a better promo later in the year.

nime01 and NYCUA1K like this.
  20. John Brundage

John Brundage Active Member

Status Points:
    I have been a Diamond since 2000 and am always upgraded and if the spouse is with me an upgrade to a suite is most often given without asking. Diamond is always great especially when using points in Hawaii and normally we find ourselves in a suite while being non-rev.

Sean Colahan and nime01 like this.
  21. bluedot

bluedot Active Member

Status Points:
    Going from Diamond to Gold was no difference. I still "see the inside of a lounge" even without executive floor privileges as well as get suite upgrades. I'm not sure why I ever wasted time obtaining Diamond when Gold is just as good and obtainable for no effort at all.

Not trying to be contrary to the Diamond folks, but IMO it was just not worth it.

nime01 and serion like this.
  22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    YMMV....I could not imagine being Gold again after having had the Diamond treatment SE Asia style because the difference is just like, well, Gold and Diamond...;)

nime01 likes this.
  23. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are of course entitled to your opinion.. but have you ever done a Diamond Special Request (aka Force)?
    How many awards have you actually redeemed? Have you ever seen awards designated for diamonds only?

Personally I find it interesting the people here say "they should never have made the effort to become Diamond" doesnt many/most here stay in hotels the required number of nights anyway or do we have a plethora of "mattress runners" ?:rolleyes:

I do find the "Gold and good as Diamond" crowd seem to indulge in a just a little bit of rationalization.:)

nime01 likes this.
  24. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is an interesting split of views on this issue. It seems to me that the answer must balance anticipated number of prospective stays with a value ascribed to the Diamond > Gold.

nime01 and NYCUA1K like this.
  25. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    As someone said earlier, one's travel pattern is a great determinant of the value of a status level in a frequent guest/flyer program. With that in mind, I would say that folks who just spend a night or two at properties would tend to find no difference between HD and HG. For me, I seldom spend less than 4 days at Hilton property, therefore, small things that would not matter to "one-night-standers" would matter to me -- the quality of service, room comfort, onsite dining and other amenities. If these are considered, it is evident that HDs get greater deference and overall benefits than HGs. I was once a Gold and the difference is clear...In fact, it has seemed to me that HH has been trying to emphasize that difference, first by requiring that a HG be upgraded to Exec Floor before gaining access to the exec lounge, and, more recently, by making suite upgrades an integral perk for HDs and not for HGs.

nime01 and Flying Bat like this.