Is Delta Silver Medallion worth a MR NYC-DFW-DFW?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by yosefrab, Sep 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. yosefrab

yosefrab New Member

Status Points:
    I fly NYC-LAS a few times a year and I'm going to have 22,500 MQM's by the end of December. Is a mileage run of 2,500 (at a cost of over $300 rount trip) worth it for silver medallion status? i.e. Does silver typically get upgraded on JFK-LAS (mid-afternoon) or LAS-JFK (red-eye)? Thanks.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP!!!

LAS upgrades can be tough even for DM, so I wouldn't count that into the equation (I have ridden in the back on a H fare). One real benefit is the free luggage, so are you going to take six trips where you are going to check one piece of luggage (or three with two pieces)?

I believe you get a reduced cost on EC seats, but then again, you are not flying much anyways, so just paying for the EC seats may be cheaper.

Basically, getting a DL credit card will get you almost all the same benefits as FO and will cost you less than $300.

traveltoomuch and marcwint55 like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you already have a DL AmEx credit card? Do you usually check a bag or travel on the same PNR with people who do?

Do you use airports that have special check in and security lines that DL Silvers can use?

Upgrades are random so you shouldn't put too much weight in your decision on the number of upgrades you forecast, but there are other advantages of being a FO, including IROPs handling and shorter phone waiting times.

Are you likely to be able come close to maintaining FO status next year? If so, then since rollover might help you, think possibly about a longer MR especially if it doesn't cost very much more.

Welcome to MP!

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

It is probably worth it depending on how much you will travel. My daughter was lucky enough to get upgraded from SEA to HNL as a silver a few months ago and that is not even a normal allowed upgrade.

The plane was full and they had very few medallion members, so she was the lucky recipient.

5. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    This would be a worthy status for $300 for you if you are flying 20K a year for the ability to sit in the exit row, which on many DL flights has more legroom (but less width) than first class. Silver also gets you the 25% mileage boost and crossover rewards with SPG which are fairly modest benefits, perhaps together amounting to a 5-10% rebate on what you pay for a Delta ticket. If you are flying 20K miles and spending $2K annually thats about an extra 5000 Delta points and 2000 SPG points. You also get a slight improvement in award inventory which is difficult to value. Upgrade chances for silvers on flights from a hub to a leisure/convention non-hub can actually be pretty good off peak, I'd hazard a guess at 20-30%, better if you route through Cincinnati or Memphis.

6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note some crossover rewards require different status levels. For example, you must be SPG Gold or higher in order to earn Starpoints from Delta flights.

7. owenbrowntrout

owenbrowntrout Silver Member

Status Points:
    The upgrades to Hawaii are solely because economy is overbooked and they have to move somebody to first class.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  8. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been in Y and have seen empty seats in F.

9. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    No. DL SM isn't worth a bean or a second of effort, much less an MR to DFW.

AA status might be....but that's not what you asked.