Is Delta equipment decent from US mainland to Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by daninstl, Jan 11, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking of booking an award seat on Delta in F (or maybe even in economy) from mainland to Hawaii. I don't fly Delta much and really not familiar with Delta Hawaii metal or routes, etc. Is the First or Business product good. What type of equipment. Is there a decent economy plus option? Any tips would be great. Most likely will position from MCI to Delta hub obviously if that matters.

Thanks

Newscience likes this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The longhaul equipment is good with scarce awards. The equipment with domestic first is what it is. The 753 F seats suck.

daninstl likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is catered/operated as domestic F. So even if you get a widebody the meal service is still a domestic meal.
    It varies, from A330s out of ATL to 75s from the west coast.
    Just the "Delta Comfort" seats with extra legroom. But no extra width.

daninstl, Newscience and anileze like this.
  4. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    on a rare (for me) recent Delta flight, I found myself on a refurbished McDonnell Douglas plane that was over 20 years old :eek:

I rate my Delta flight experience slightly better than on my flights in Africa on Antonovs :eek:or Ilyushins :p

with luck your flight to Hawaii will not be in an open cockpit model :cool:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    daninstl and Newscience like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta has quite a few non McD-D planes that are older than 20 years.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/about-delta/corporate-information/aircraft-fleet.html

Andropovs? Did Yuri design them in his spare time?

It definitely won't be a refurbished McDonnell Douglas plane :)

daninstl, Newscience and jonspencer like this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    freshly refurbished and well maintained (well proven?) What's the problem? Delta's operational reliability is no accident.

7. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it is a big problem, I would not drive a 20 year old automobile for everyday transport :eek: why would I want to fly on some ancient plane

it is a complete joke that the Delta fleet is so old, all the excuses about how good the MD is does not cut it, these are not cargo flights

I really find it amusing the many apologists here in reference to USA-based airlines and their sorry overall service / product in general compared to many Asian carriers

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    daninstl likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apples and oranges.

President Obama is flying around in 25-year-old jets. I don't feel unsafe on similar air frames. The interior generally has been replaced a few times over the course of the life of a plane. When did the last "ancient" US registered plane crash? By comparison, I seem to recall a number of recent crashes of relatively new Asian-registered planes. One of them cartwheeled less than ten miles from me.

Got a rational argument?

The U.S. and the Asian markets aren't exactly identical.

daninstl and Newscience like this.
  9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is your problem with the 20 year old MD? Tge airframes (unlike most cars) are designed for decades of service life. Is the interior refurbished, or not? If so, interior comfort sjould as good (and quieter up front) aa anything. Quality of interior finishings is independent of aircraft age.

So is service, for that matter.

Regarding the asian carriers...thrre have been a lot of crashes involving asian carriers recently, including relatively prominent ones. Complaining about old planes on an airline with Delta's safety and operational performance is kind of ridiculous. Excepting the chinese, no asian airline is able to reach even half of the fleet size and complexity of operational requirements, and delta does a pretty incredible job running a huge operation and running it well.

There are certainly valid complaints to be made...but you aren't making them. Us airline service standards are not up to the best of foreign airlines, although I'd say d3lta's are probably best of the lot.

Reliability, safety, comfort and anything traceable to airframe age are not really an issue with recently refurbed delta planes.

10. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    America wrote the book on air safety, no argument there

but certainly not on service, value for $ paid and comfort

a 1995 Volvo has a fantastic operational safety record, does not mean I want this vehicle for transport or that I would be willing to pay the same price as for 2012 make

this is not about markets and it is about apples for apples, oranges for oranges, for international flights to or from the USA

the money paid for value received does not stack up

daninstl likes this.
  11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering that service has nothing to do with airframe age, and (other than exceptional cases like the higher 787 cabin pressure) interior age (and level of investment/quality of materials) dictates comfort - again not airframe age - what's your complaint?

You're whining about old planes, yet you accept that they are safe and when pressed complain about items that have nothing to do with the age of the plane.

Crap comparison - the 1995 volvo has crap driving dynamics, likely less power, probably tired paint...and almost certainly a 20 year old interior. Unlike cars, aircraft are designed and maintained for a longer service life, including regularly replacing/refurbishing interiors, repainting, etc. Age of the plane does not really matter, except as related to fuel burn, long term reliability, eventually safety, etc.

Really? On a MD? Those birds don't even get out to Hawaii, much less fly internationally (except for some shorthaul that is in no way comparable to the missions your favored asian carriers are flying.

Why not cite a carrier to compare directly? Let's see what, if anything actually is due to running an older fleet (and how much older).

daninstl and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  12. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Oh and so much hate for good old McDonnell Douglas, wow. I agree I don't want to fly often or far on an MD-80 but I think any aircraft can be maintained for reliability and comfort. I just don't see the economics in it. It's that why AA is replacing all that old metal. Oh and hating on Volvo as well. Ouch I drive a 6 year old Volvo. Great car but I don't want a 1995 model unless I have $20k extra laying around to do a frame off restoration (can you imagine).

A friend of mine used to work at the STL Boeing (McDonnell) plant across the field from Lambert and he always like to watch the F-15's that they build there take off outside his office window. Like every time. He just can't help himself but watch. A friend asked him why he always has to watch them take off and is so fascinated by that. He replied "I"ve seen the people that build them" :)

jonspencer likes this.
  13. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    somebody mentioned crap above :eek:

funny that is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of the Delta (or AA) product and service :D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  14. SunAlsoRisesMSP

SunAlsoRisesMSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had a special PDB in F on my last OGG-LAX flight: Mai Tai. It had a tiny umbrella (major factor), so all in all it was a lovely flight.

15. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL's product and service is not c%%% as alleged here. No indeed. It is

[​IMG]mejor en su clase[​IMG]

16. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    This isn't rocket science. You can pick the airline you fly, and to some extent, the plane based in the route. Two choices YOU make on your own based on what is best for you. Obviously, DL is not the best choice for some.

That being said, newer is not always better and the MD F seats are some of the quietest around.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  17. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    20 year old birds....how many of the Air Force B-52's are pushing 50 and still flying.:D

18. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    One wings worth of about 24, built in '62-'64 if my memory serves correctly. B-52H models with the turbo-fan engine (G's and earlier had turbojet)

Photonerd71 likes this.
  19. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    People do both these things every day because well-maintained machinery that is well within useful life isn't particularly worn out, and there's no particular need to spend money on a new thing to replace an old, but still working thing,

Not everyone needs to practice conspicuous consumption to meet their psychological needs.

I can think of a number of Asian carriers that fly 737s and 763s of comparable age to USA carrier fleets, with not particularly impressive hard product on those planes. Not everyone in Asia is being ferried around in lie-flat suites with Krug and caviar.

In fact... Asian carriers have used... MD-90s. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

There's more than a decent chance your award on DL would involve flying AS MCI-SEA-Hawaii, given DL's recent shenanigans on awards... So you might want to consider them as well. Also a domestic F experience in F, with the usual small touches for Hawaii like POG or Mai Tais.

newbluesea likes this.
  20. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    There a few people on these boards who seem to only just like to listen to themselves talk. Their only objective is post incendiary comments and then wallow in the self-importance when others (generally wasting their time) refute their nonsense. All this is really just trolling under the under the thin guise of a constructive discussion.

After all we all know that everything Asian will soon rule the world.:rolleyes: