Is Delta backing down on tough transcon upgrade policy?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by cjmcginnis, Jun 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. cjmcginnis

cjmcginnis Silver Member

Status Points:
    MX and jbcarioca like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    To selectively (within the fair use doctrine) quote the part of the article that answers the question posted in the subject:

Delta has quietly begun offering complimentary upgrades to its high-level Medallion members on transcontinental flights to/from New York-JFK after yanking them away last March. Pulling those cherished upgrades on these five-hour flights resulted a prolonged rash of bitter complaints from Delta’s best customers on its most lucrative routes.

This is not an “official” policy change, but Delta is now offering occasional comp upgrades to its specially outfitted and serviced Business Elite cabins flying between New York JFK and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle.

MX and jbcarioca like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this just oversale OpUps or are they trying to fill the cabin now that they realize not enough people are willing to pay for it but they don't want it to appear empty?

MX, mht_flyer and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like the old NW Phantom upgrade policy internationally.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's going to be a mixture of complaint satisfaction and suiting DL's needs by being able to re-sell the seats in the back after moving HVCs up front.

jbcarioca and MX like this.
  6. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is what I was thinking. If Y is overbooked (and may be frequently), the "upgrade" is really an "op up." I can only hope NW phantom upgrades show up on a few other routes.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was really nice having not completely full forward cabins for a little while. (Of the three of four times I've flown transcon since this policy, twice I had it where not every empty seat was filled with employees.)

jbcarioca likes this.