Is CX Business-Class Food All it’s Cracked Up to Be?

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by Kalboz, Mar 7, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have had many memorable meals on CX in both Business and F and made to order noodles are great at their HKG lounge. Industry insiders have chosen CX meals as the best onboard food. Bloomberg sent a restaurant critic to harshly examine this so-called best food in the air:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...usiness-class-food-all-it-s-cracked-up-to-be-
    [​IMG]

What has been your food experience onboard CX flights?

2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Food has been fabulous to me on all of my CX flights whether or not I was sitting in F, J or Y.

Everyone's taste buds are different, generally speaking I don't follow through what food critics say and often go my own way.

A funny side story I remember seeing a while back was a food critic ordering a fully cooked steak from Gordon Ramsay's restaurants and then saying it was sh*t:

iolaire, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last time I flew CX F I was not particularly impressed by the food. The beluga and Krug starter was quite good (but I can do without that, it after all is just an appetizer)
    I might have become blasé about the food which was on the way back from five nice days eating in Hong Kong
    The small bench seat along with the table extender allows you to dine with your travel travel partner . but we flew JAL F outbound and found their meals to be much tastier and better presented.

I suppose like every meal ones expectation has some effect no matter whole small, on the final perception.:oops:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    iolaire and Kalboz like this.
  4. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My recent experience has been a couple of MAA-HKG-ORD trips in C-class.
    Food (special meal - Asian veg) was uniformly pretty bad (the main course and appetizers). The quantity and quality were poor.
    The last HKG-ORD - they had no mid-meal snack for us:eek:!! (no veggie options) and we had to eat some chips / candy (which also ran out). :(

I emailed CX via their website. I got a stock reply "we will look in to it".

However, of course, the flights were great; seats fabulous; FA's generally awesome.

I do not like the new amenity kit as it has no zipper.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife liked their F pajamas however :)

Kalboz and Sammich like this.
  6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I rather liked their claypot rice and think their Chinese menu's OK, but it's very difficult to do good gourmet food blast-chilled and reheated (the things that work best on planes are dishes that involve braising, like stews or curries, where it's difficult to dry out the dish). My local Sichuan place can do things you can't do at 35,000 feet (hot pot, dan dan mian with hand-shaved noodles, fresh spring onion pancakes).

Kalboz likes this.
  7. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    They sell them at the official PYE stores! They're better quality as well. No CX branding on the tags though :p

Kalboz likes this.