Is Congress Going After Travelers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Newscience, Dec 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Summary please.

3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    The article discusses our illustrious Congress' latest approach to raising revenue - tax the traveler even more! As part of the bipartisan budget act of 2013, an airline ticket tax is scheduled to be levied on US travelers, and the revenues from it will simply go into that black hole of "deficit reduction".
    How do you spell "term limits"? :mad:

And thanks to Peter Greenberg for bringing this story to light!

4. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been receiving e-mails about this for a little while now - both from politicians and from Airlines for America. I have written to my worthless senators, and my congressperson about it already. All I get in return is the generic form letter "thank you for taking an interest, etc."

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    ;)

6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If Congress is "going after" anyone/anything, it's going after who/what it's members think will get them the most votes while costing them the least. Anyone saying otherwise is naive or foolish.

7. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Travelers are usually considered "easy pickings," and "fair game," when politicians want tax revenue.

We have seen several backlashes, however, when cities look to the travelers as an unending, and untapped (in their opinion) source of revenue, whenever they want to build a sports facility, or similar. They just add taxes, assuming that the stream of travelers will never end - well, in Phoenix, it has hurt the tourism industry. When travelers find out that they are paying more in taxes, than for their rental auto, or room, they find other options.

I have yet to hear anyone refer to the taxes/charges on travel as "sin taxes," but that cannot be too far behind.

Sad days, but there will likely be sadder ones in the future.

Newscience likes this.