Is Axon Booking the same as Reward Certificate

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Sil747, Mar 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sil747

Sil747 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I made an Axon booking to stay at Conrad for 4 nights for 145k. It won't be till October 2014. CSR booked it and I received the Hotel Confirmation. However, I also received the Reward Certificate which stated it expires March 3, 2013. Am I out of luck?

Also, I made another booking with points for 2 nights at the Conrad HK for October 2013. Then I changed it online to October 2014. Will this be a problem when I get to the hotel. I did not receive a Reward Certificate for this booking.

Is it a better bet if I just cancel the Axon redemption, have my 145k deposited , then make an online booking for the same 4 nights and dates (2014, over a year) except i would pay 170k instead of the reduced rate. This way, I won't receive a Reward Certificate.

TIA

autolycus likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few things are unclear. First you said that:
    Was it clear to the CSR that you were reserving for an October 2014 stay? If so, why was the booking allowed if it would not be honored under your terms beyond March 3, 2013, which is... today!!?? Is that a typo and you meant to write March 2014? If the latter, then the trouble with booking as an AXON is that Reward Certificates usually have an expiration date, which is typically one year from the date they are issued (the advantage is that the redemption date is open within the period of validity). You would be out of luck if the certificate expires today or even a year from today when what you want is to redeem for an October 2014 stay. It is a mess that can be fixed only by calling CS back.

Then you said:
    For this type of booking you do not receive a reward certificate. Rather you should have received a confirmation email with the details of the stay (hotel name & address, dates of stay, # of HH points, etc)...both times. Did you? If not then something is wrong
    Based on what you are trying to accomplish, it seems that it may be better to just book on your own online and specify the dates for which you want to redeem, rather than booking an open reward certificate that you can use for any hotel of the same category but must do so within a year.

autolycus likes this.
  3. Sil747

Sil747 Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks alot. yes, typo-should have read march 3 2014 for expiration. just to make sure i would not have problem with my oct 2014 booking, i have cancelled the axon booking. csr deposited 145k back in my account. i then booked online using flexible dates to search for my booking. 170k and alot happier.

autolycus and NYCUA1K like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cost you a bit more but the peace of mind would be worth for me...:)

autolycus likes this.
  5. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this discussion. My travel is all planned through at least next March, so I'm not really in a position to make any non-speculative bookings. I was considering doing a speculative Conrad booking either for Tokyo or Hong Kong in summer or fall 2014, and would have tried for an AXON award. I guess a straight award booking might be the way to go based on the 1-yr expiration for the AXON certificate. And that expiration makes some sense, even if it's unfortunate. Conrad seems to be the only Hilton brand that allows booking more than 12 months out, so 1 yr certificates cover all but the extreme situation.