Is anything included in business class?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by michael21, May 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This summer my wife and I are heading to Italy in business class with Swiss and Lufthansa and I was wondering do we get like lounge access (I Have united CC) and/or the business class amenity kits or do you have to have some sort of status?

In general, is business class an all-inclusive deal?

infamousdx, jmrich1432 and jbcarioca like this.
  2. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news. Both have Business Class lounges and you will likely get amenity kits. I have never paid for either Business nor First and have always been treated exactly like everyone else. The only downside is you will be spoiled forever!

3. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Uh oh...Steven, The wife and I are in our mid 20s...forever can be a long time to be spoiled :)...do I have to show them anything when I come in or is my ticket that says I'm in business class enough?

JohnDeere19 and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Stealth Traveler
    Original Member

Stealth Traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your ticket will be good enough. They will scan it...and yes, you will be spoiled forever. :) It's tough to go backwards once you've experienced the good (and great sometimes) of premium class flying. You will now know the difference between traveling to get from point A to point B and enjoying traveling. Cheers and enjoy the experience!

Counsellor and jbcarioca like this.
  5. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    On our last flight, as we were headed to our seats row 257 or something :) my wife comments wow these guys must be really rich in business class. I look at her, "No they're not! They are points addicts like me!" :)

6. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    You will come to realise what the real meaning of being spoiled in business class means. It is an all inclusive deal of course with amenity kits and business lounge access. Add to that priority boarding, priority security checks and a memorable experience.

You do not need to show anything other than your boarding pass to gain business lounge access. Having said that, you do not qualify for senator lounge access. Better food, more comfortable setting and a lot less people in the senator lounges but you need to be a senator or star gold to qualify for that. Not sure what United CC is considered in this part of the world.

All in all, sit back, relax and enjoy it.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    There will be free food and drink both on the plane and in the lounges in Europe. You will even get a menu instead of someone shouting "Chicken or beef?" Each of you will get a blanket and a pillow.

8. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You mean I can't bring my down comforter on the plane? :) Who gives out PJs?

lili and jbcarioca like this.
  9. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now you're pushing it. Try flying Air France for the PJs.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you get to the airport early just so you can go to the lounge?

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. Someone mentioned above the difference between flying to get there and enjoying the trip. After my first few experiences up front, my line was that it was the difference between the trip beginning at the destination versus at the airport. Next January, we have two tickets, RT, NY to Bangkok on Cathay Pacific in First Class. Tickets price out at $26,000 each. Does anyone really pay that??? Whatever - we just wink at each other and enjoy it.

In 1984, we were on our first trip to Israel. The agent in Israel messed up and in the end, 10 out of the 16 of us (including me and my wife) were upgraded to First. I can promise you I had no desire to fall asleep - I didn't want to miss one minute of it. When I asked for a scotch, they came by with the big bottle of Chivas and said "say when". Back then, no one had ever heard of single malt!

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the United RCC? Nope. Packaged cheese food, crackers and bad coffee aren't worth it. I do end up going relatively early at times because (a) it works out better with someone dropping me off or (b) I hate rushing through the airport. But it's not the thought of United's lounge that's making me get up extra early :)

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In addition to not getting into the SEN LH lounges, LH tends to block the best business class seats for elites. You'll get at least one bag free, but elites might get more. But you won't be asked to pay for anything on board. Lounges sometimes charge for alcohol, especially premium drinks, or food items. AFAIK LH doesn't do this but UA may (CO had a premium wine list for which there were nontrivial charges.)

OTOH, BA charges nonelites in business class to reserve specific seats before check in.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    In an attempt to be competitive with RyanAir and EasyJet, I assume :p

15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are traveling on miles with either Swiss or LH, you may not have your first choice of meals. Paying Pax have meal choice priority on TATL's. I've seen it from both sides of the fence.

16. Alpha Golf
    Original Member

Alpha Golf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where are you flying from? If there's a LH business lounge (as opposed to Senator, they come in pairs) it's guaranteed to be better than United one.

17. Alpha Golf
    Original Member

Alpha Golf Silver Member

Status Points:
    PS. unlimited drinks and champagne.

18. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's ORD-ZUR and then onto Rome

19. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once you go BC you never go back!

20. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, lx 9.....thats a nice ride. ZRH btw ;)

21. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Darn..I knew that looked wrong! :)

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  22. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    To be fair, some carriers have menus in Y. They may be miserable scraps of paper like on AF but it beats none at all. :)

23. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    PJs are usually a First Class amenity for intercontinental travel. I've gotten them from LH, Air France, and Cathay Pacific when flying in International First. The CX ones are really neat! I don't think United or AA give them, though (they didn't when I flew their TATL International First).

You'll be spoiled for economy by flying in Business (LH or the new United), but you'll still have better things to aspire to, e.g., Cathay Pacific in First Suite. Now that will really spoil you. But it is a great experience -- one that everyone should have at least once in his/her life.

Jimgotkp and AnthonyB1609 like this.
  24. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 along with LH's FCT which is quite a treat! After doing a RTW in F had to fly WN and that was interesting....

Counsellor likes this.
  25. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! Their First Class Terminal at FRA is really fantastic, and there's nothing like being driven to the plane in a Porsche (or Mercedes). It even makes a continuation flight in Business disappointing.