Is anyone else on TripIt?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by OneSweetWorld, Aug 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

OneSweetWorld Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use TripIt but no one else I know uses TripIt, so it is just me tracking my miles.

I'd love to see some of the trips other people are taking, plus it could be a good way to know when other MPers are in your town.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    Sean Colahan likes this.
  2. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use trip it. Like idea of MP group

OneSweetWorld likes this.
  3. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for adding me Sean! Ill see if I can get TripIt to make a MP group.

4. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Looks like you cant make a group unless you own the domain and everyone has MP email addresses. Looks like we will have to add each other individually.

5. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just put a request into TripIt to create a Mile Point TripIt group. Don't know if this is the same thing you did?

TAHKUCT likes this.
  6. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I didn't submit it because everyone has to have a milepoint email I think. But if Tripit were smart they would make a exception and let us make a group lol.

7. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    While I can see the point of a group, I'm not comfortable letting people I do not know somewhat well see my hotel reservations and such. Probably paranoid from history from other bulletin boards of other people calling and cancelling people's reservations, etc. ;-)

Plus, posting your travel specifics to virtual strangers using your REAL name vs. a handle seems to be an open invitation to criminals to come rob your house. No thanks!

nmt12, TAHKUCT, OneSweetWorld and 2 others like this.
  8. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thats a very good point...forgot that confirmation information is listed in the trip it post. May reconsider a group thing...something to think about.

9. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yeah... I am friends with several MPers on TripIt, but those are all people I have met and feel like I somewhat know.

I think sometimes we all get a bit too comfortable with sharing our personal information on the internet and don't stop to think that there are still people out there with ulterior motives. I really started thinking carefully about who I "friended" on social media after an acquaintance of mine had his house pretty much ransacked not once, but twice while he was out at dinner. He's "known" around town and was known for friending people who requested (even if he didn't know them personally) and the police think that whoever robbed him both times was using his check-ins on Facebook/Four Square to time their break-ins when they knew it was reasonable he'd be gone for a set period of time.

The police here locally have said that they've seen a rash of these types of break-ins for people who post their whereabouts on Twitter, FB, FourSquare, etc. and aren't careful about who they allow to see that info or be friends with them.

cliq, HiIslands and OneSweetWorld like this.
  10. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That is valid point, I thought it only shows where you are generally. Didnt know it says specific hotels and such. Wonder if there is a privacy setting that can cover that up?

11. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I guess I only use it for tracking how many miles total I have flown, instead of keeping track of my itinerary

12. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah i am friends with Sean and it only shows general info. Maybe if you are in a group, it shows specific, but as for now, it looks like it is fine.

13. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't show itinerary details unless you specifically share your trip (or set TripIt Pro to do so automatically). You can only see dates and destination(s) of travel for the people in your 'network', as well as their aggregate stats.

14. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, this might be short lived...you must have a milepoint.com email to join the group. Looks like we will have to add people manually to our individual follows.

16. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I love using TripIt. It's a great way to keep all the travel info in one spot and to keep track of far-flung friends. However, as Techgirl says, I'm not really comfortable sharing that much info with folks I haven't met in person yet (even if it's just city+dates info). I prefer using things like Flightmemory to share my travel with folks in wonderful online communities like these.

cliq, Sean Colahan and OneSweetWorld like this.
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done the group thing for a small subset of friends in the community. It helps that I own my own domain name and was able to "cheat" on the email thing. It works pretty well but I would echo the sentiment that you should probably know who you're dealing with in such situations.

18. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For me personally, since it only shows cities and dates, to me the benefits out weigh the risk, so anyone feel free to add me if you would like! However I can also understand where other people are coming from about security and dealing with strangers.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  19. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love TripIt and love TripIt Pro even more. Let me know if someone is able to get a group set up. Sorry but I don't have a milepoint.com email address.

20. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a group setup...but mile point.com email needed

21. psollitt
    Original Member

psollitt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am using TripIt ... on my computer and on my iphone, may upgrade to pro ... but it is still a little pricey..

22. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    We don't have to have milepoint.com address. Everyone in a group has to have email address with the same domain, but it doesn't matter what that is. If there is enough demand, I'll be happy to donate a domain and create email addresses for everyone interested that would just forward to the email address of their choice.

23. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
  24. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anybody else have any thoughts on TripIt Pro, such as pros and cons?

TAHKUCT likes this.
  25. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everything awesome that TripIt has to offer, including instant access to a master itinerary of all your travel plans, plus extra powerful features to keep you in the know, on the go.
    • [​IMG]
      Know before you go

Instant alerts about flight delays, cancellations, and gate changes sent right to your phone.
    • [​IMG]
      Find alternate flights fast

We'll help you when you need to find another way there, including flight status and open seats.
    • [​IMG]
      Track all your points

At last, all your frequent travel account information, balances, and expirations in one place.
    • [​IMG]
      Get flight refunds

If your airfare is eligible for a refund, you'll be the first to know.
    • [​IMG]
      Share automatically

Automatically share all your travel plans with the people who need to know exactly where you are… and where you're going.

• Travel with privileges

Complimentary 1-year memberships to Hertz #1 Club Gold and Regus Gold. VIP car rental and access to 1,100 business lounges worldwide. ($660 value)
    That is the list of main services they provide with TripIt Pro.

I like the ease of adding my trips to TripIt Pro just by forwarding my email confirmation to them and love their trip alerts with trip monitoring.

I do not use any other Pro options, because there is no need for me, but trip alerts helped few times when my flight was canceled and I was able to rebook myself while still driving to an airport.:)

philatravelgirl likes this.