Is anyone else getting upset at MPer's response to the Verizon AAdvantage shopping mall issue?

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by arkleseizure, Aug 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm posting this outside of the long running thread on this "debacle" as I don't want to get wrapped up in some pointless debate. Whatever your opinion is, go with it. However, the more and more I read people's responses in the Verizon AAdvantage shopping mall mistake thread, the more upset I get.

Obviously, and as evidenced by the responses on multiple forums, this was a mistake (come on...buy a $3 to $6 item, get over 80k AA miles?). Opportunistically / greedily, I thought, what the heck, and placed an order just in case something beneficial came of it. I seem to be one of the few who received the email apologizing and offering the 2500 miles and another 2500 miles for making a purchase at the AA mall (even if you return the item). More than fair enough, I thought, for something I knew was not intended.

But now there is this storm of indignation about the whole ordeal, and a lot of members seem to what to make this a major issue with whomever will listen. In my opinion, it seems unfortunate to me that our greed has come to this point. Obviously, I'm not blameless in the whole situation as I was one of the folks taking advantage of an offer I knew was an error. Perhaps I'm rambling now because I feel bad for hopping on the bandwagon of folks trying to take advantage of this mistake...but I just don't like where this is going. Am I alone in this?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't order anything. The 2500 mile offer seems very fair. When I look at situations like this, I always think about my neighborhood coffee shop that I visit almost every day, and I ask myself: if they posted an offer somewhere along the lines of "prepay 1 coffee, get 10 for free" (and obviously meant it the other way around), would I hold them to the wording of that "deal"? Legally it might be possible to force that, but ethically and morally I wouldn't. So why would I do it in the case of an "anonymous" corporation like the one in the AA shopping mall examples?

But to answer the question in the subject line: no, i am not getting upset, and I am not surprised about it either. I guess I have been around FF (and other deal sites) long enough to know what to expect. And i didn't expect it to be all different when I moved from FT to MP. It is a bit sad, though.

3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes too many on MP and FT seem to be acting like the scum on the streets of the UK over the past week. Agree with OP.

4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let the deal go.
    Let the reactions of people to the deal go.
    There are so many better ways to spend one's time and energy.
    Just focus on what feels best for you.

P.S. I didn't do this deal, but I certainly have been afflicted by greed many times, so I do understand what it does to me when I let greed affect me. The "gain" is never worth the pain it causes to my heart.

5. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did not try this one, but have taken advantage of mistakes on line and even in a retail store. A simple mispricing that I got away with. I figure that it makes up for the times they get me with false advertising and bait and switch tactics. But to get upset and demand satisfaction when it does not work........ So, my thinking is don't get greedy or mean spirited because

"What goes around, comes around"

6. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let me ask you this: If you value your time and peace of mind enough not to become involved in this haggling for miles yourself, why worry about the fact that greedy airlines, vendors, and customers are trying to get most for themselves?

As I read the situation, at least part of the indignation comes from the fact that this seems to have become a pattern. Post a lucrative offer, make a lot of sales, and then weasel out claiming a mistake or mutual finger pointing.

Everyone will decide their own response, but yours seems most curious to me. I mean, see the movie or not see the movie, but why argue and get upset with others who are standing in the line? They are not spending your time or your money. :)

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a hard time believing that the Verizon/AA deal was a premeditated attempt to make a lot of sales.

I think it's part of being a member of community... and having the desire to have it be a community of people who are (mostly) behaving to ones expectations/morals. Isn't that what we all do every day in real life as well? The analogy for a real life situation IMO wouldn't be a movie, but rather more like a pile of money falling of a truck -- do you join the crowd picking it up and pocketing it? Certainly having an opinion about that seems fair? I at least try to see this site as a community, and not just as a source of deals.

(before someone goes down this path -- my analogy is not to suggest that keeping money falling of the truck, which is likely considered theft, is the same as ordering chargers for $5... I don't think that is illegal. I am just looking at the aspect of whether it's reasonable to be "upset" about it)

kellio, legalalien and Travelsavant like this.
  8. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with the sentiment if not the choice of the term "scum" though perhaps I'm mellowing as I age gracefully. MHO is and always has been that if the mistake is honoured, great, but I'm not throwing tantrums or interviewing ambulance chasing legal counsel if one such as this one isn't honoured.

9. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    We don't know the inside scoop. Yours is a plausible scenario as well, and I fully understand that those who feel this way will not share the "indignation". However, in case your feeling is based on the fact that Verizon and AA are well known companies, please note that these problems have revolved around eshopping portals and those are run by companies most people have never heard of.

That's not a good analogy either. We are dealing with a deliberately placed promotion, not things falling out. Moreover in our economic system, cash and gold have a unique position not shared by other goods, so let's keep those out.

So, here is a workable analogy: A restaurant takes out ads that you buy one dinner (even a hotdog) and you'd get a dvd player. Seems like a lopsided deal, but we live in a marketing-driven economy where $100 items are cleared out for 99 cents, where you do get enough miles for a free First Class return ticket to Europe for opening a credit card account; so attractive, but not unbelievable. Lopsided offers are a time honored way to attract a lot of attention.

Besides, ads don't just happen by themselves. Somebody took the trouble to run them. They weren't all pulled as soon as first noticed. Instead, they ran in different cities, different locations, for several days. While you are being told that the dvd offer was mistake, it is still being dangled in front of others. In fact there is a different but similar offer for a TV as well, still running in some cities. :)

Given all this, I'd have no reason to believe that the restaurant didn't really mean to run precisely those ads, whether it intended to deliver the dvd players and TVs or not.

Let me clarify that I am not suggesting that getting involved with such promotions is necessarily a smart idea. You do what you are comfortable with. Some may reasonably want to avoid not just one promotion but the whole miles and point game. I am merely suggesting that people who decided to play weren't doing anything unethical and have a good reason to suspect a "bait and try to switch" here.

10. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't involved in this, but that's basically my take too. If I can utilize/take advantage of an obvious error, great. If it doesn't work out, c'est la vie.

Cheers.

MrsBobSgt, savydog, lin821 and 3 others like this.
  11. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. I thought about it but was sure it was a mistake. It's just not worth my time or effort and personally I would never involve an attorney. How on earth do these people feel they are harmed?

MrsBobSgt, savydog and lin821 like this.
  12. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't answer for the OP but my feeling is that it is disappointing to see this type of human behavior.

13. firstglobal

firstglobal Silver Member

Status Points:
    If something looks too good to be true, it probably is. I missed out on this offer, but if I had participated it would have been with the understanding that there was a very real possibility that I would get *nothing* - having 5k miles tossed at me would have been a bonus. Anyone who thinks they "deserve" full credit is acting in bad faith - they know full well that this was a mistake.

14. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recall days of yore when a hotel mistake in Asia prompted a few posters to grab the rate for weeks or months in a row and then spit fire when the hotel cancelled the reservation. Anything beyond normal personal consumption is to be being uber greedy but again that's only MHO and YMMV.

ACMM and lin821 like this.