Is an A321neo order in the cards??

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Oct 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect the A321 could be a good replacement for the PMUA fleet as UA uses them for domestic service. The PMCO 752s being newer and used for trans atlantic service I'd suspect will be around for awhile.

uggboy likes this.
  3. hooterbif

hooterbif Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is the argument against the 737 MAX versus the 321neo?

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The family does hopefully looks like this in the future incl. A319Neo, A320Neo and A321Neo! Let's also suggest that the next generation is not only ecological oriented but also passenger oriented with better storage space in overhead bins, clever seat design, larger windows and better individual lighting // Aircon systems too. And of course the new aircraft family should help to bring cost down for airlines and the airlines should help bring costs down for passengers too. But, a big but, let's governments reduce taxes for flyers as well, now there is dreaming!:)

5. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last numbers I saw from Airbus showed a range of "up to 3,450nm" for the 3210neo, so most TATL routes are really going to be pushing the limits. If Airbus had a lot more confidence in the range being significantly higher, I image they would publicize that to try and pick up business from the many carriers that will be looking for TATL 752 replacements in the future.

Could UA be looking at the 321neo as a domestic 752 replacement? Sure. But, I won't believe it from a pilot until he/she can back it up with a company press release announcing a firm order.

Olton Hall likes this.
  6. boyzfly

boyzfly Active Member

Status Points:
    The 321 would be great but until Airbust, can get the range its a no go... I would miss all those First seats on the 757 and the great way we board that plane, but the 321 would save a lot of fuel.

7. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    UGH. An A321 to Hawaii???

Also, what are the longest 752 TATL missions right now? Aren't a lot of those routes, flown by at least a 763?

8. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, Airbus is able to offer better financing terms on their air-frames than Boeing is. The WTO will be the final judge of that mess.

I am no expert, but everything I have heard is that Airbus products require more maintenance and have substantially less in service life expectancies than their Boeing competition. I invite someone to dispute or confirm this with actual facts.

So, again, in my non-expert opinion, when you buy a Boeing product you are probably paying a bit more, but are getting a more bullet proof airframe that will cost you less in the long term.

9. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not on the CO side. Many of the TATL missions are 752

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL. I have heard <random statement> about <topic I am not an expert about>. I invite someone to dispute or confirm this with actual facts.

Are you by chance Michele Bachmann? :D

FrankieC, tjtenor4, Ygor and 2 others like this.
  11. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know, pretty ridiculous. I have done a lot of reading, on this subject, but I cannot remember anything specific (more like Sarah Palin).

12. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can someone enlighten me as to why boeing stopped producing 757's? Almost every airline is talking about replacing their 757 fleet, but it seems like there just isn't a suitable replacement, in terms of an aircraft of similar size that can perform the same missions. All the airlines seem to be scrambling to find some sort of alternative, so why didn't Boeing develop a "next generation" 757 as they did with the 737 or 777 family, for instance?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    No one was ordering the 757s near the end of production. CO converted their last 753 order to 738s.

Boeing's answer was the 739, which filled the domestic gap.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am speculating here, but maybe the potential market is just too small to justify the capital investment and use of presumably limited engineering/management resources? Many of the missions can be flown with other aircraft (such as the 737-900 or the 321). How many 757MAX (or whatever they'd call it) could they sell?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. js787

js787 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 737-800/900ER basically removed any remaining market for the 757 EXCEPT for TATL where they do not have the range. As noted the market for this mission is limited and thus the one area where the 321neo and 737-Max will be left to duke it out on who can come up with a suitable replacement for the 757 TATL missions.

16. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
  17. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boeing built 1,050 appx 757s and has built 6,800 appx 737s. It is no surprise that boeing is sinking more resources into the 737.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  18. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    avflyer likes this.
  19. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Out of 1,050 75s produced, there were only 55 753s in service as of July 2010. That bird is slim pickins' (with all due respect to the movie star), and it doesn't have the range of a 752.

I'm just kidding myself, I'm going to be on freaking A321 when I go to Hawaii whether I like it or not....ahhhh for the days when they used to fly half empty 742s into KOA...

20. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing that hurt the sales of the 757 was the reclassification by the FAA as a Heavy (now classified as Large) because of the wind vortex that it created and their effect on small aircraft.This meant greater seperation at departure between aircraft at a time when the lines were long for take-off creating an operational issue for the airlines and airports especially as RJ's were starting to get popular at the time

avflyer likes this.
  21. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can see the range issue being of great importance (although if it stopped UACO flying TATL single aisles, I wouldn't be too unhappy), but I cannot understand the concerns as to comfort in an A321 vs a 757. They are both very long single aisle airplanes. The A321 is only 9 feet shorter than the 757 so there's really very little difference from the perception when inside. It is, of course, more modern also.

The real question from our point of view then is how UA chooses to fit and maintain the interiors. We can only hope, or should it be pray....

22. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know this is silly and irrational, but I feel safer on a Boeing product than an Airbus. I just think back to that Aloha incident where half of the skin of the aircraft was torn away and the freaking thing kept flying.

bez7 and rggale like this.
  23. js787

js787 Silver Member

Status Points:
  24. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not entirely irrational, actually - while both quite safe, and I have no objections to flying aircraft produced by either one, Boeing and Airbus use very different philosophies when it comes to the cockpit. Boeing aircraft still require pilots to be pilots while Airbus aircraft have led to a phenomenon I like to refer to as "aircraft control operators". In coming years, many airlines are going to be forced to commit additional resources to reinforce the basics of piloting or else face the increasing likelihood of more bizarre accidents like AF447.

25. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    The A321neo should be a great replacement for the domestic 752s used out of DEN for their takeoff performance.

2L on the 321 is a little too close to the engine to board through 2L - but i really hope they fix this for the neo. 2L boarding on a narrowbody really speeds things up and is a much nicer experience in F.