Is Amazon associated with any Miles/Points earning shopping portals

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by vickers, Apr 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does Amazon every associate with any Miles/Points earning shopping portals? Ive yet to see it, but I shop here frequently and would love if there was a way to earn points through a portal.

I know one of Chase Freedom's quarterly bonus stores is Amazon, but what about portals?

Thanks.

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only one I am aware of is Hawaiian Airlines. I signed up for a frequent flier account there just to start racking up miles. I stopped because it was annoying and I don't fly that airline.
    One way to earn a ton of points shopping at Amazon is if you have a card that gets 5x points at an office store (Chase Ink Plus) and you buy Amazon or kindle gift cards at the office store and then load them into your amazon account. $500 will earn you 2500 points rather than just 500.

3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    evreward.com is the place to find answers to such questions. Today they show cash back via Ebates for Amazon shopping. In general, Amazon is very rarely listed in any of the miles/points or cash back portals.

vickers and MX like this.
  4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fatwallet has rotating cashback categories for Amazon. That's it.

vickers likes this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Freedom @ Loews this qtr does the same thing :)

I think they have enough traffic they don't need to setup those affiliate programs... though they do have some affiliate programs for some websites/blogs.

vickers and miles and smiles like this.
  6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's gone, IIRC. It used to be you could earn miles for all Amazon purchases, then it was only certain categories. I was PO'd when they changed it, because, like you, I only signed up for an HA account to earn miles from Amazon, and the new categories are things I never buy from Amazon. :mad:

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably true for many here. Both the PO'd part and the not-buying-that-stuff, which is why they only offer points for those items.

vickers and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Amazon's defense, they have a pretty good sized customer base, and they may not need to be a part of any of the mileage/points malls. Sucks for us, but in a business sense, it's good for them.

vickers and satman40 like this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazon reminds me of ebay, hate to think of what make off paypal..

Look for Amazon to take a kick now that sales tax is on the table in many states...

Not too long ago the stock was 2.00 a share...Yahoo and them were the same price...

Pretty good company...

vickers likes this.
  10. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    BeFrugal.com also has rotating cashback catagories for Amazon, often with higher cashback rates than what is being offered at Fatwallet.

liladybugz26, gconnery and vickers like this.
  11. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually the HA Mileage Mall went from all catagorites, to rotating catagories, to completely eliminating HA miles sometime during Q1 2013 or Q2 2013.

It was great while it lasted.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    gconnery, vickers and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a way to earn UA miles for select Amazon.com purchases from select catagories using MyPoints.

MyPoints also offers rotating catagories with Amazon.

Once can redeem 6,100 MyPoints for 2,500 MileagePlus miles or 12,000 MyPoints for 5,000 MileagePlus miles.

If you're not a member of MyPoints, you can earn a 750 MyPoints bonus after your first $20 purchase using MyPoints when you are referred. Anyone that's interested in a referral, please PM me, and I'll happily refer you to MyPoints. :)

free101girl, gconnery and vickers like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but they do pay lots of people (blogs, ...) affiliate fees for links to their products.

vickers likes this.
  14. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about at least signing up for Amazon Smile, so that a portion of your shopping goes to the charity of your choice?:
    http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/30/amazonsmile-automatic-charity-donation/
    Even if you forget to click through, you can put the stuff in your shopping cart, then close the window and start again with Amazon Smile, and your Amazon Smile window will open up and your charity (there are zillions to choose from) will get the credit.

15. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for the responses. Appreciate the positive community atmosphere here.

gconnery and miles and smiles like this.
  16. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume that the finances of that works differently than the airline mileage malls do. What you're referring to is, basically, advertising costs.

Maybe Amazon is like Southwest, in that they prefer people to do business directly through them rather than go through a 3rd party.

vickers likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't know. In both cases a 3rd party is advertising Amazon products and collecting a percentage of the sale. In the case of the mileage malls, they hand over a portion of their earnings to the ultimate buyer as a kickback, and in the case of blogs etc using affiliate links the earnings stay generally with the site operator. But how is that fundamentally different from Amazon's perspective?

vickers likes this.
  18. liladybugz26

liladybugz26 New Member

Status Points:
    MyPoints.com has cash back combined with accumulating points for Amazon.com when you shop certain departments which change every week. This week if you make a purchase from either the toys, clothing or baby department you receive an instant 3% cash back at checkout, and 5-points per dollar spent that you can accumulate for redemption of hundreds of various gift cards on the mypoints website.

free101girl and vickers like this.
  19. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I say, I'm assuming. No company in their right mind is going to give us much detail on how this kind of thing works. Certainly not enough detail to know how much money they're making.

In any case, I think it's safe to assume that if Amazon thought they could make more money by being a part of mileage malls, they'd do it. It's apparent that they think they can make more money by not doing so. The fact that Amazon has these affiliate links but isn't a part of the mileage malls must mean that the former makes them money, while they don't think the latter will. The financial considerations for each, therefore, must be different. If they're not different, then someone at Amazon needs to be replaced. But we'll never find that out, either.

vickers likes this.
  20. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazon should take the high road and set this up for themselves. Surely they could do it more accurately than Catara or who ever runs the airline portals.

It may not be that way anymore but I was thinking that BA and maybe Air Canada had a way to use Amazon.ca or Amazon.uk for awhile as well. I would shop more on Amazon or Ebay if they offered miles or points through any of my programs. I also wish iTunes would allow you to save your airline miles earning partner instead of always having to link through a shopping portal. Then again it could hurt the that feature in being able to keep expiring orphan programs alive.

vickers likes this.
  21. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best deal (to me) is purchasing Amazon gift cards at Staples. I usually buy 3 $100 cards at a time. Charge it to my Chase Ink card which gives 5 points per dollar at office supply stores so I get 1500 miles each time. Load them into my Amazon account and they automatically deduct each time I make a purchase. Amazon could not make it easier. I've been very happy with this.

22. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that info. I am going to try with my Costco business card which means I should get money back and it will be a business deduction as well.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

23. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if it was a feature for everyone, but when filing my tax return (used TurboTax), upon getting my refund, I was offered the opportunity to add 10% of whatever I opted to get in Amazon dollars.

Amazon does have category rotations (usually clothes and luggage). Ebates is one portal I use for cashback, and on their site, they also have a 20% off spring clothing if you buy over $100 (exp 04/14/2014). This is in addition to the 5% they are offering for the clothing category.

debbyme49 and gconnery like this.
  24. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw some blog touting a portal that does 5% cashback on Amazon. Now I can't find it.

Anyone see that?

vickers likes this.
  25. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw it on Twitter yesterday. It didn't look like anything I wanted to sign up for, so I didn't thoroughly read it. I'll see if I can find it.

vickers and ACMM like this.