Is Aer Lingus Business Class DUB to BOS worth 25,000 Avios?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by LAM, May 31, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking at planning a trip next year to visit friends in Sarajevo and on to Dublin on my own. I have a couple of options on how to get there.

Option 1 30,00 United miles in the back of the plane from IAD to SJJ. I would then either pay for a flight to Dublin or pay for a flight SJJ to Zagreb then use AA miles from Zagreb to DUB (with fuel surcharges of approx $134). Then 25,000 Avios (plus fuel surcharge) for Aer Lingus business class from DUB to BOS and SW points home. Is Aer Lingus business worth 25,000 Avios for a just over 6 hour flight ? I could also reverse this trip but would have to do an overnight in London. I do not want to do a 60,000 United round trip as I need United miles for another trip.

Option 2 24,000 Avios BOS to DUB and pay for a round trip between DUB and SJJ. This would probably involve an overnight in Germany or Istanbul. I would pay cash or use SW points to get to BOS and back home.

I will have limited Avios and AA miles. I am not a manufactured spend person also so earning a ton of new miles is really an option.

MX likes this.
  2. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't and won't tell you what your miles are worth to you. But I think for my miles, 25,000 avios is a relatively good deal for a TATL business class flight and it would make a long day of flying much more comfortable for me. For reference I find EI's business class seat most similar to AA's outgoing angle flat biz seat, and I personally find it quite comfortable.

3. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be inclined to use miles for a TATL overnight rather than TATL back to the US in the daytime. Better to stretch out and sleep instead of being in the back of the bus trying to sleep sitting up.

Quick thoughts: Can Avios be used for IB, AB, S7 or Finnair? I wonder if there's a different way to get you closer to SJJ without having to buy a ticket and forcing another overnight.

Max M likes this.
  4. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just flew this very flight exactly 2 weeks ago today. NOTE that this was my first trip in International Business class, so I was set to be awed. And I was.

First, the flight TO Europe was an Air Canada flight (United Award tickets both ways). The AC flight had lay flat seats and was totally wonderful. The flight DUB->BOS on AerLingus wasn't exactly the same ... the seats were angled and. perhaps they were straight when fully extended, but I didn't get that far as I wasn't sure what would happen to my feet. These seats were not as nice as the AC seats, but they were a couple of magnitudes better than coach. I found complete comfort in the various angles I DID use on the 6 hour flight home.

Other than that, it's the same great Bus/First Class service. We were served breakfast and a nice multiple course lunch/dinner ... more food than I'm used to.

I would take this flight again for 25k Avios in a heartbeat. I paid 50k United miles (included a CLE->YYZ segment) and was quite happy paying that! Of course, as admitted, I'm not an international flight veteran, but in my opinion, this sounds like a great deal.

boondr likes this.
  5. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought Aer Lingus flight was wonderful despite angled seats-would do it again to save 30k Avios (Philly/NYC is 80k) I used free wifi, had good food and had to ask to stop refilling my wine glass as the service was quite attentive (the cabin wasn't full) my trip report is here http://philatravelgirl.com/aer-lingus-business-class/

blackjack-21 likes this.
  6. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, we were given free wifi, too. A nice surprise, and it worked very well.

7. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for their replies. Unfortunately almost all the airlines that fly into SJJ are Star Alliance or airlines I probably would not choose to fly on. Bosnia would not normally be on my agenda but I cannot pass up a free place to stay with someone who is a native speaker. My friends has taught me some about the terrible times her native country has been through and I would like to learn more.

8. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aer Lingus DUB to BOS using Avios is one of the great bargains in the frequent flyer world. The seat is like that old sofa in your basement, but the service is classy and friendly. The meal service includes Irish linen, airline-sized Waterford crystal, often local Irish fare such as smoked salmon and morel mushrooms, and usually a thoughtful selection of obscure but excellent value Spanish cavas and Portuguese wines. A little bit of Jameson and/or an Irish coffee or maybe a Guiness adds to the ambience. On a daytime flight I would choose this over BA Club World.