Is AA Next?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Kalboz, Nov 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lucky blogged about it this morning, after United massive devaluation, is AA next?

Big American AAdvantage Announcement Coming?
    Any thoughts!

zpaul, sobore, Tenmoc and 5 others like this.
  2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    My prediction is we will have to wait until next week for the big announcement that AA never said was occurring on today's date. Assuming that Ben's source, JonNYC, received correct information.

zpaul, sobore, Tenmoc and 3 others like this.
  3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    JonNYC is rarely, if ever, wrong.

Philphactor, zpaul, rwoman and 5 others like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps the AA announcement is that they're giving away free seating to Milepoint P2 members? :rolleyes:

zphelj, zpaul, Tenmoc and 2 others like this.
  5. TopGunner

TopGunner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I am going to go ahead and book some CX F awards and some OneWorld Explorer awards for next year and hedge my position. As an EXP, this is an almost zero cost proposition.

Kalboz, zpaul, Tenmoc and 2 others like this.
  6. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Double eqm?

zphelj, Kalboz, zpaul and 3 others like this.
  7. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    A new 75k mile tier?

Kalboz, zpaul, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  8. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure they're next (which has me nervous, as I have too many AA miles right now than I can use over the course of the next year - one of those "no good deed goes unpunished" deals). But I don't think they're going to do any major changes to AAdvantage (especially a chart deval) while the AA/US merger situation remains unsettled. They aren't going to want to give the Department of Justice more ammo.

zphelj, Kalboz, zpaul and 4 others like this.
  9. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ponies for elites.

zphelj, Mike Reed, Kalboz and 5 others like this.
  10. moongoddess

Status Points:
    Some people have speculated that AA may be establishing a partnership with the Hilton Hotel chain.

Kalboz, zpaul, Tenmoc and 2 others like this.
  11. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    With a possible merger, I would say AA makes no negative changes. I expect good news!! Now after the merger that's a different story.

Kalboz, zpaul, Tenmoc and 1 other person like this.
  12. TopGunner

TopGunner Silver Member

Status Points:
    The AG's comments about the substance of the settlement discussions leads me to believe the consumer protection issues are not a consideration. Rather it is the slots issue (yes, it can be colored as a consumer issue) and which ones/how many will USdbaAA will have to give up. I think we are fooling ourselves believing that AA won't devalue because of the merger, who would think COdbaUA would devalue their crown jewel after the quarter they just had. In addition, the environment of this merger is very different from that faced by DL-NW and CO-UA, bad news act du jour.

I may just be chicken little around here, but if you see CX F disappearing for next year, you know who it is!

Newscience, Kalboz, zpaul and 2 others like this.
  13. moongoddess

Status Points:
    I suspect it's in part BECAUSE of the quarter they just had that UA savaged their award chart so badly. It's a cost-cutting measure designed to make the books look better ASAP.

But you're right that the AAdvantage award chart is ripe for a devaluation (and since I currently have a few more AAdvantage miles than I can use up over the next year, knowing my luck a devaluation is just about to hit).

14. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe the announcement will be a merger settlement?

15. gabrielgsp

gabrielgsp Silver Member

Status Points:
    And what if AA does want to give DOJ ammo, because they wish not anymore the merger, preferring to stay alone?

16. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used a ton of miles inthe past two years anticipating a devaluation of miles. Please don't prove me right AA.

17. gabrielgsp

gabrielgsp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I searched GRU to all cities AA wil be flying next year (MIA/JFK/DFW/LAX) from March to October/2014.

NOT a single saver award in any direction in C.
    F available only in June/30 and July/1st, direction USA/GRU.

Would that be a symptom of what??

Newscience, zphelj, Kalboz and 3 others like this.
  18. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are right Gabriel. Not one single C availability and only 2 days available for F. Indeed a very strange availability for these routes and this under Brazilian law could even be seen as abuse on the eyes of Regulators Authority there! I hope it is something of good news!

19. gabrielgsp

gabrielgsp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Searched also GRU/LHR/GRU.
    NOT a single availability in partner BA, during all 2014, in any class (Y, C, F)!

Newscience, zphelj, Kalboz and 3 others like this.
  20. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, Lucky added the adjective "big" in his post title, which isn't in the source's statement. It could be anything from a new partner available for online award booking, to some promotion/tie-in, to a major devaluation of some sort. I'd guess (hope) AA wouldn't want to drop anything seriously "anti-consumer" in the midst of the court proceedings coming up...but who knows.

21. TopGunner

TopGunner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not defending AA's rev management, but 2014 will have extraordinarily healthy traffic to Brazil with the World Cup happening in June and July. North America continues to be the one of the largest ticket buying/bidding regions in the world (not necessarily for team USA support). In addition, with the WC in a timezone that aligns well with the US, expect more media interest, which means all those AA corporate contracts will be used to buy seats on the US airline with the best network to South America.

It's not 77W service but consider going to SCL or EZE with AA and then pairing with Avios for the connecting flight (haven't checked actual LAN availability).

zpaul and Tenmoc like this.
  22. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to let you know, the world cup ends in July! And there is no availability till late september as well as on the first 2 Quartes, so it's kind weird to blame this on the World Cup, specially when you can check and verify that are several flights with empty F and J cabins during this period! I think AA is on the wrong track of this one!

Newscience, gabrielgsp and Tenmoc like this.
  23. gabrielgsp

gabrielgsp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer to view this way:

Brazil market is so strong, that American just eliminated all its availability of saver awards during whole 2014, because that is their main hope to overcome chapter 11!
    I appreciate AA thanking me, Eloy Fonseca Neto, and thousands of other brazilians that are buying tickets to help them!
    As a retribution, AA instead of opening saver seats, just vanish them...
    In addition, brazilians are supporting a lot US economy, spending millions of dollars, mainly in Florida, NY and California.

24. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    He just said it will probably be nothing to do with devaluation of miles or a new tier. Maybe they will indeed have a double eqm promotion for the last month and a half of the year? :p

Tenmoc likes this.
  25. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    That wouldn't warrant a full-on event. Anything they do now would be to incent travelers, not push them away, so I'm expecting good news. Perhaps SWU and other upgrades on OW or JBV carriers?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    zphelj, Aktchi, zpaul and 2 others like this.