Is AA.com now charging credit card processing fees?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by gleff, Jun 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Made a couple of bookings yesterday at AA.com and noticed a disclosure I hadn't seen before,

[​IMG]

Now maybe this isn't new. And the reference to a UK-billed Paypal account tells me maybe this has something to do with the joint venture with BA and booking BA flights?

I wasn't charged a credit card booking fee for the two (entirely domestic) flights I booked yesterday. And the pricing of the processing fee in pounds further suggests it's a UK-specific thing. Though on in the example above to see it come up on a US domestic itinerary.

Maybe old hat, but has anyone actually seen a credit card processing fee charged by AA.com?

JohnDeere19 and jbcarioca like this.
  2. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as I am aware, as part of the credit card acceptance agreements with Visa, M/C, Amex etc, retailers in the US are not allowed to charge a credit card processing fee. Unfortunately this is not the case in the UK - BA has for some time charged for using a credit card, and it looks like AA have caught onto this as another 'ancillary revenue' line.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even though it's not a processing fee persay, some states allow differential pricing. There isn't a mark-up for credit card use but a mark-down for non-credit card payments. For example, fuel could be $3.50/gallon with a CC & 3.40/gallon if paid in cash.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's more typical that the contract prohibits different charges based on which credit card is used. For example, if a merchant makes me pay more to use AmEx or offers a discount if I pay with Visa, AmEx wants me to report it.

jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Charges like this are widely in use in some countries. In Australia, for example, most hotels charge a fee, circa 1%, for credit card payment.

Taxis in Sydney charge a 10% surcharge for cc use, and the 10% fee attracts an additional vat! In NYC, there is no surcharge for cc use in a taxi.

Different practices in different markets.

No reason for AA not to levy such a charge in markets where a charge would be lawful, consistent with their merchant agreements and commonplace.

LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is good to know!! :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Credit card fees are way to pervasive on this side of the Pond. It seems like very few of the airlines' websites (UK version) do not charge a CC fee. As such, I use a US-billed credit card and the US sites to make bookings as often as I can. I bought LHR-MAD-LHR on aa.com and was not charged any fees...presumably because of the US billing address/credit card.

NYBanker and jbcarioca like this.
  8. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta doesn't charge extra to pay with a credit card (YET) but I doubt they would ever with their partnership with AMEX.

9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm just irritated that dl.com shows fares in GBP now when I'm looking at ex-LHR tickets. This changed about 4-5 months ago - it used to be in USD. As long as I call though, I can pay in USD = no international transaction fee to AMEX.

AA does not do this for tickets anywhere (TATL, intra-Europe, etc.)...which makes me happy.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  10. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA will display the price based on the country of residence (as selected on the search screen or in your AA profile). The final charge will be displayed on the confirmation page and billed based on the billing address of your credit card.

11. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting...I won't be booking in the UK anytime soon.