Is AA blocking CX seats?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by lichenlt, Jan 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see seat available through BA and QF, but AA agents just can't find it. Very weird.

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    How many agents have you spoken to? I haven't noticed any blocking of space that's available to partners, though I have in the past seen phantom space on the Qantas website (though I do not recall phantom CX space on the BA site, still I consider the JL site to be most reliable for partner CX space).

AA may not always see CX seats on certain flights when you search from origin to destination rather than point-to-point, and sometimes just don't see the flights and it's taken a few calls but that is rare.

3. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just checking one segment HKG-LAX. It shows up on both BA and QF. I called four times, none of the agents was able to see the space.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    What date and class of service?

5. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    01/14/2014 in F, thanks.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    VERY interesting. That flight shows up on the JL, BA, and QF sites with 1 seat available in F, and AA does not see it. I should go through and try to book it on the BA site just to see for sure.

I have seen it where a seat is available and AA couldn't find the space, eg only one time AA couldn't see EY space that I could see on the EY site, it was an AUH-LHR flight. Every other time perfect match. Guessing an IT issue rather than anything systematic, I booked CX F just the other day.

But definitely an interesting case.

7. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for looking into it for me, Gary.

They can't see another leg on KA either, where BA shows 8 seats available in J.

I could go as far as putting in credit card information on ba.com for that HKG-LAX leg. Haven't tried to ticket it though. I fear if I ticket it with ba, although cancelable within 24hrs, it'll be gone and I wouldn't be able to change my current reservation to that segment.

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Might well be gone if you book and cancel

9. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I booked CX F using AA miles last night. No problems.

Huca?

10. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could this be an issue with availability on individual segments yet not on the complete route? On AA you can have class available on individual segments that's not available when you try and ticket on the complete route. That's not a bug, it's a feature ;-)

11. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    nope, they can't even see it on the individual segment.

12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I tried to check just the one segment, which is available via CX/JL/BA/QF -- nothing about the whole itinerary. And AA says not available.

13. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried to get availability on CX via AA a couple of months ago, and even with 7 seats available via BA, AA weren't seeing anything (in Y). Ended up booking with BA and paying the huge fuel surcharge, as after weeks of trying, nothing ever opened up.

14. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same thing happened to the HKG-SFO on the 14th again. I saw it opened up yesterday and called AA twice so far, it seems they still can't see the space. It's so frustrating.

15. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ive had that happen to me, trying to get HKG from LAX. It would let me book LAX-HKG-SIN in F, so I booked it, then called back and took out the last leg.