Is AA best airline for family travel?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Titans26, Nov 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I travel with my wife and kids at least 5 times each year. 1 Disneyworld trip, 1 beach trip (Hawaii or Caribbean), 1 Europe, 1 Asia and 1 cruise (family reunion). My children usually accumulate around 30,000 miles each year, enough miles for Silver on United. I use their miles to redeem awards for upgrades or a free ticket for them. I chose United for our family airline because of the 777, 747 and A380 LH. United and the *A gave me the best opportunity to fly my family on the largest or newest aircraft, which they enjoyed. Now that UA will no longer offer 100% mileage accrual for 2012 low level flyers, I feel it's time to switch my family travel to AA so my wife and children can continue to receive 100% mileage credit for all of their flights. My children are unable to do an AA Gold challenge during the school year. They are Silver on UA. Do you think it's a good idea to move their flights to AA? I'm EXP, 1K and DIA.

2. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    This may be just a bit off the subject but JL allows families located in America to combine their miles. I believe that 100% of AA flight miles can be credited to JL. The bad thing about JL is that miles expire (even with activity). So if you don't burn them quickly, you would probably be better off with UA or AA.
    Also, JL allows their elites only one free guest into their lounges. Others would require a fee.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AA miles credited to JL earn between 150% and 50%, anything less than full fare Y seems to earn below 70%: LINK.

Here is a link to JL's Family Club account (BA offers something similar) for those who are interested: LINK.

rwoman and alohastephen like this.
  4. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for that clarification. :)

5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI, AA gold only earn 25% mileage bonus, platinum earn 100%. With only 30,000 miles/year, they'll be gold (need 50,000 miles to earn Platinum).

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/elite-benefits-chart.jsp

I personally love AA's Platinum status except for the missing unlimited domestic upgrades that other airlines have at that level.

6. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is consistent with AA's status-based based access. The family entry option to the Admirals Club only appies to Admirals Club members. As far as practice vs. the published rules, YMMV.

alohastephen likes this.
  7. hillrider

hillrider Silver Member

Status Points:
    You don't tell us where you're based and the age range of the kids. About the latter, I find it incredibly valuable to have children's meals and AVOD for children on long hauls, something that you don't find on US airlines; on AAdvantage you find them on BA (except some 777 which have looped IFE), CX, QF and JL, but they may not work out for you depending on where you're based. But redeeming AAdvantage miles on BA incurs newly-introduced airline-specific steep co-pays.