Is a United Codeshare flight a United flight?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Toomanyrules, Dec 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

?

Should a minimum number of United-operated flights be deleted for advanced MileagePlus status?

1. Yes

22.2%
  2. No

77.8%
  1. Toomanyrules

Toomanyrules New Member

Status Points:
    I was rudely surprised by the fact that despite purchasing a business class ticket on a United codeshare flight, I will not be credited with United segments for advanced MileagePlus status. You can have all the United miles in the world, but they won't account for Premier, Gold, Platinum status unless you have a minimum number of segments actually flown on a United-operated flight. Most of my travel this past year has been on United codeshare flights over the Atlantic because of very poor United non-stop service from the U.S. I think that this decision is unfair and should be changed. It's clear that codeshare flights benefit United much more than the consumer. What do you think?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    United wants to reward passengers who actually fly on its planes and spend money with the company. Might not be good for you personally but it isn't so hard to understand why they want it that way. And it isn't like this policy is new. It has been published for the entire year and the My Account status page clearly shows it as one of the requirements.

As for the benefit of codeshare flights, both parties win, depending on the scenario.

andyroo31 and traveltoomuch like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    OTOH, the benefits from UA status rather than *Gold on another *A carrier, such as free elite upgrades and Y+ seats, come primarily only when you fly UA operated flights.

Dublin_rfk and Wandering Aramean like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, though there a many non-US residents who historically favored the UA program for earning rates on cheap flights, flexible redemption options and the ability to use GPUs on LH metal as well.

blackjack-21 and Dublin_rfk like this.
  5. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you're wrong. Enjoy Lufthansa Miles & More.

6. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would appear that you are going to need to fly at least 1 transatlantic RT on UA (which in J is not that bad a deal) and then make 1 small MR in the states (such as a ORD/EWR/IAD-CLE) and the requirement for UA is fulfilled. Then most the above becomes a non-issue (except for delays).

And really, how bad can UA J be for a 7-8 hour flight, especially when one of the segments is at night and you will be asleep for most of the trip?