Is a standard room on a club floor an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by HiIslands, Nov 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a diamond member I was "upgraded" to a club floor ( but not the floor with the lounge ) at the Conrad Tokyo. I was given a standard, non-view room. Since diamond members already get breakfast, is this really an upgrade? It seems like they're just playing games with the terminology. Your view?

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds a bit odd, they could indeed playing games, I would assume it is only a real "upgrade" when let's say they give you a higher floor, Club room with lounge access and the choice of breakfast in the lounge or restaurant plus Bay view in this case eg. Conrad Tokyo. In our cases eg. being Diamond and stayed at Hiltons in Europe we always booked the lowest category room and got "upgraded" to a Club floor room with lounge benefits, free internet, welcome amenities eg. water, chocolate or fruits. We will see how Conrad handles this.

Chimpy likes this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you stayed at this propery before or are you just jumping to conclusions?.
    Having stayed at this property 5 or 6 times .....

a) As far as I know all rooms at the Conrad has a view ...either a City view or a Bay View.
    For some reason the City view appears to be actually preferrable to some guests .....I once had a
    host apologise to me for not having a city view available.... note however Bay view rooms are not a specified Diamond upgrade.

In a odd way I sometimes find the city view facinating as I can look down at the Oedo?? line elevated train make the turn below at Shimbashi or into the offices across the way and see how they are arranged almost indentically on each and every floor.:)

b) The club foors are an upgrade in sense that there are higher but be aware that the non-suite rooms on the club floors are all similar and are quite nice... so there really should be no room for complaint since you arent missing anything.

c) The option to take breakfast in the lounge or breakfast room is not automatic and I am aware of instances where HH members have granted the option to choose between lounge access or the restaurant breakfast.
    However for the life of me I am unable to understand why anyone would choose the latter considering one can request made to order cooked items like eggs and omelets in the quieter lounge.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The HHonors program doesn't really include meaningful upgrades for Diamonds as part of their terms and conditions. Suites are specifically not a part of the program. So how wouldn't a club level room meet the rules of the program? Now, it doesn't impress me in the least, but that strikes me as a program failing not a hotel failing...

HiIslands, uggboy and Jaimito Cartero like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's only hope that a Club room upgrade includes lounge access too!;)

Would it be possible to have also an official Hilton Honor representative on Milepoint?

Princess Fiona and HiIslands like this.
  6. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all of your comments... They help put this all in perspective for me.

I was put off when the front desk clerk told me it would cost an additional ¥5000 for a bay view room, so it raised the question in my mind of what constitutes an upgrade at Hilton.

On the whole, the rooms here are nice, the breakfast in the lounge is good, and the staff is excellent.

7. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say that it does meet the rules of the program. As a HH Gold, I don't get lounge access unless I'm upgraded to a club level room. As such, for this lowly Gold, it is technically an upgrade. And as gleff stated, it's not terribly impressive, but it does technically fulfill the obligations as laid out in the program rules.

One thing I did notice at a couple of Hiltons - the club level rooms have more toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, body wash, cotton swabs, etc) than the non-club rooms (just shampoo, conditioner, lotion). Does that make it any better? ;)

HiIslands likes this.
  8. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/about/diamond.do
    So yes, by the program definition, upgrade to a club level or executive level is the primary type of upgrade you can expect to receive. Not all 'club levels' necessarily have the club on the same floor, they just have nicer rooms and access to the club.

If there are no club level rooms available, you will receive some other type of upgrade, (usually a slightly larger room, higher floor, or premium view) things for which the hotel would charge a slight premium if you booked that room type. You should also get club access in this case.

If you originally booked and paid a higher rate for a room with a specific view, and they 'upgraded' you to a club level without a view, that would be a little questionable, and worst case, you could ask to keep the room with the view and still get club access.

gomike and HiIslands like this.