Is a hotel supposed to warn you when it's daylight savings weekend?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by DesertRose, Mar 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Staying in a Hilton in Belgium. We missed the train we wanted to take this morning, because last night was daylight savings "spring forward", and we had no clue.

While obviously this is the fault of the USA, who decided to change our daylight savings for no good reason, thus confusing everything,;) shouldn't the hotel have a hint or a note (maybe even when you check in) to warn that you will be here over daylight savings?

Even more annoying, the hotel DOES have posters up everywhere announcing "Earth Hour" yesterday at 8:30 pm, suggesting that we turn off out lights to save energy for an hour. It seems to me that if the hotel feels it is appropriate to promote a political cause for one hour by dimming efficient fluorescent lighting and burning candles in the lobby, which increases both pollution and the net amount of energy consumed, in order to "save the earth", they could also mention daylight savings.

My first thought when I realized my bedside clock was incorrect this morning was, "Dammit! Did they really turn off the power to the hotel for an hour last night?" :D

gomike and restlessinRNO like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this lies somewhere between an obligation and good customer service. Every time I've been traveling during a time switch, the hotel did warn me by posting signs in the lobby and leaving a letter from management in the room, However, the time changeover is usually noted in publications like the IHT and mentioned on cable news, so I'm surprised that you could have been totally unaware (as opposed to forgetting that it was to be last night).

vbroucek likes this.
  3. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've usually seen plenty of signage in hotels reminding guests of the change. Seems like a no-brainer for them to do, particularly in a city that is a common international destination. Whether the hotel is "supposed to" remind you? I'd say it's not an obligation but is certainly a nice thing to do.

4. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
    They should have made it apparent. After all their guests are visitors.

5. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've usually found little leaflets in rooms a couple of days early to remind me about the switchover, plus during check-in if it was a couple of days out. It's basic customer service when the hotel knows you're a non-native to at least inform you.

6. restlessinRNO
    Original Member

restlessinRNO Silver Member

Status Points:
    DesertRose - Thank you for posting. It was most amusing to read about the Hilton's promotion of "Earth Hour". I agree with others that notifying you would have been good customer service, which one would like to expect from a hotel at the Hilton level. I could not describe it as an "obligation" though.

7. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd say no, no where near their obligations.....

8. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm at Hilton Zurich Airport right now and they have posters about day light savings time change in the elevators, so some Hilton's does advertise it.

I don't think it is their responsibility though, but it would be good customer service.

deant likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It also benefits the hotel when everyone knows about the time change because otherwise some people are likely to check out late while others will need more help from the concierge.

jw3711 likes this.
  10. wheat27
    Original Member

wheat27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I wouldn't necessarily expect this it would certainly be nice if the hotel made sure you were aware. Especially because I personally use an iPhone as my travel alarm and it has been somewhat suspect with time changes.

11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree but then I stated on another thread that it was not a hotel's responsibility at all to let customers know that getting a cab on New Year's Day is a tough thing to do. Seems most folks in this thread and the other, think that it IS a hotel's responsibility.

I still think it is the consumer's responsibility BUT can understand how folks may feel at upmarket hotels believe this type of information should be a service the hotel provides for it's guests.

12. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Call me old school, I just figure if a fella is clever enough to buy the ticket, he ought to be able to handle a time change. Like I said, just me.

vbroucek likes this.
  13. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    In my opinion, it is good customer service to provide the notification. Either signs or a note left in the room. However, it is not a responsibility.

14. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Fault of the USA"? Naaaaaaaaaa. ;) That said, doesn't seem smart for any hotel not to tell its clients that the clocks are moving forward overnight. Clients need to know that check-out time will come one hour sooner afterall! :)

15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think its your own responsibility to know what time it is.

DesertRose and Sweet Willie like this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems you are referring to the change of DST in 2007 in the US, making it the 2nd Sunday in March (before it was the first Sunday in April). Neither matches the EU standard (last Sunday in March), in place for many years.

17. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, did you ask for an early morning reminder call? I always find it worthwhile setting the bedside clock, asking for a call, and tweeking my phone. Just don't wanna be late, ya know?

18. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I would be nice.. but..
    in the end..
    you know! :(
    Frankly, I've been in hotels when the fire alarm goes off.. usually 'bout once a year..
    It's always, or nearly so, as you probably know, a false alarm.. so I hate to leave..
    One time a few years agoat a really nice Marriott, about 5am I called down to ask if it were the usual false alarm..
    & they confirmed it wasa false alarm..
    So I tried to go back to sleep.. but the alarm blasted for another 20-25 mins when I thought to call again..
    Then I smelled the smoke..& left.. well.. in a ...HURRY! :D
    I complained about being given false info after the fire trucks came..
    They sent me a HUGE fruit basket, bigger than I am.. then asked what I might do with all this? ;)
    And I thanked them & gave it back..
    I was subsequently sent a letter from the GM offering me a free night..
    I thanked him & never used it..
    I know, I'm not that bright..
    I should have known it could have been a real fire.. gotten out of be.. and exited the building..
    but the bed was so comfy..at least 'til I smelled the smoke! :)

Sweet Willie likes this.
  19. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    In your avatar, which one is you? :D

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once stayed in a hotel (quite nice, not at all downmarket) in Toronto where the fire alarm went off about five times on a Saturday night when I had an important meeting presentation the next morning. Needless to say, after walking down more than ten stories and then waiting a long time for elevators afterward twice, I did not get up for the remaining false alarms that night.

21. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I spent three days driving around LA in a rental with the wrong time because Hertz apparently doesn't re-set the clocks in their cars. But I've been feeling very misanthropic lately, and low expectations have me relying more on my own watch than the competence of a rental car chain (I get to the parking space and the Volvo C30 I was told would be there had, instead, a Nissan Versa. Since no more could be found, I get stuck with a Mazda3... good going Hertz). Hotels usually fall in the same boat.

As for Earth Hour, I watch at most 5 hours of TV per week (some people watch that in a day), and the big ones especially are huge power hogs. If people just turned off the TV advertising Earth Hour, they'd save more energy than turning off the lights they could use for reading a book.

deant likes this.
  22. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm lil' the one, who is not famous!;)
    The other guy is Double D, Chocolate Thunder :)
    He's regarded as one of the best NBA players of all time..played for the Philadelphia Sixers..
    I first meet him when back at Temple Medical School

23. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hilton on the Park in MEL did a great job with DST changes when I was staying and it happened. Surely though, in the end it's our obligation to make our booking times, no one elses!?

24. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had this same problem in Amsterdam some years ago. We were staying at a B&B, not a large chain and no one mentioned it. We subsequently missed our train to the airport and flights. The irony was that we knew the UK changed clocks on this day but it never occured to us that mainland EU would as well due to the different time zone. Now it's comical but it was very stressful in the moment. I would still say that such an alert is courtousey, not an obligation.

25. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    In that case, it was a pretty big fruit basket. ;)