Is a day pass to Admirals Club in LHR worth $50

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Morris, Jul 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Morris

Morris Active Member

Status Points:
    I am I United customer so only have experience with the Star Alliance Lounge. A friend has a 5 hour layover and is asking me if it is worth it. Any opinions?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP Morris.

These types of questions are always difficult to answer. Value is solely determined by the person shelling out the cash. I have no idea what $50 is worth to your friend.

The LHR AC has a comfortable place to sit, some snacks to nibble on, free beverages and a limited free liquor selection. There's also showers if he wants to freshen up after his flight. Free wifi to connect to the internet and catch up on personal activities. Overall, it's a nice little place to sit down for awhile.

On the other hand, it can be crowded, making the separation from the gate area less noticeable at times since the chaos is still surrounding you. Most individuals who have the choice of lounges (individuals with higher status levels with AA or OW partners) almost always choose to visit the British Airways or Cathay Pacific lounges over the AA offering since those locations offer better food and beverage and more spacious seating. So it doesn't exactly rank as the best lounge in Terminal 3. Unfortunately CX and BA do no offer passes into their lounge.

In the end, your friend will just have to take a look at the offering and do a personal evaluation of what $50 is worth to him. Some will see it as a good investment, others will balk.

Hope you're enjoying the website. :)

Espan, tommy777 and sobore like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO unless it's a really inferior lounge without F&B offerings, it would be worth it for five hours.

However, I would ask questions about the $50 pass. Is it valid at LHR or just in domestic clubs? (Sometimes these are restricted this way.) Is there a limit on the number of hours he/she can stay in the lounge with this pass? Does it entitle the user to any internet access codes or chits for alcoholic drinks if these are used in that lounge? Are discounted passes available?

Finally, can the friend get lounge access by other means? Does he/she have an AmEx Plat charge card AND is he/she flying AA that day? Is he/she flying oneworld in business of IFC and eligible for lounge access that way? (Careful about departures and domestic flights; read the rules carefully.)

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AC passes are good at any AC wordwide and are good for "a day of travel". So if you start at 8 AM you can use it at any AC that day. If you travel overnight you can also use the pass at your first point of arrival as well. There is no hour limit with the day pass, and internet is free in the AC for all users whether a member, accessing on status, or a day pass.

All the other stuff the OP will need to answer. :)

5. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would not pay $50USD to use the A/C at LHR.

But, for that or similar, one can get a day-use rate at any number of decent airport area hotels, where one can shower, work-out, sleep, etc. Most public buses within the LHR area to LHR airport hotels are free, and do leave from the Central Bus Station right by T-3.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't consider that option if I only had a 5 hour layover at LHR. The risks of long immigration lines and waiting for the bus/hotel hoppa means you'd probably be checking out as soon as you checked in. Or still waiting to get through immigration. :)

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly I would sooner spend the money for the HEX and hang out in Paddington Station ( you probably would arrive there long before the airport bus pulls up) rather than try to spend so short a time at any of the airport hotels. If your wait was even say two hours longer then Hilton Paddington (despite its faults) which has quite a decent executive lounge is far better than any of the airport hotels. I have checked out of that property, got on the HEX and checked at LHR in under 30 mins.

Go for the lounge pass ...even three beers any where in the airport is likely to cost $50.00 and the lowest I have ever seen day rates at any of the LHR hotels is around 50GBP anyway.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The passes seem to sell on eBay for $18.50 or so. YMMV.

Espan likes this.
  9. Morris

Morris Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much, I will pass this good information on to her....

10. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    tommy777 likes this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are the airside T-3 Priority Pass lounges at LHR.

Espan and tommy777 like this.