Is a 1 day pass to Delta Sky Club worth it at ATL Terminal E

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Analise, Jul 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be arriving at ATL around 9am and have a 4:30pm flight to FRA on a weekday. Is it worth the $50 to be in the Sky Club at Terminal E? First, can I assume that the Sky Club is inside security so no need to have to endure it?

If you had essentially ~6+ hours at ATL, would you buy the pass? I would be buying it at the Sky Club; I assume that's not a problem. Thanks.

rwoman likes this.
  2. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind the old Business Elite one doesn't open until 2 pm. If you do buy one it is good the whole day and you can visit several of the Sky Club's in Atlanta should you want to.

rwoman likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    All ATL SCs are inside security and the two in E are among the best ones. On a weekday with that much time, I would suggest starting perhaps at Centerpoint A (upstairs, only open on weekdays) and then trying one of the larger (not B28 if I'm remembering locations correctly) redone lounges before going to the E area. One of the E lounges has showers.

If you have a DL AmEx card, it's only $25 to access a SC, but this might be one entry rather than an all day pass. You should be able to purchase the day pass either at delta.dumb or in a SC with a credit card.

rwoman likes this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    In E, the SkyClub across from the food court and next to TGI Fridays is the one with showers. :)

Purchase One-Day Pass

Cost is $50 (without DL AMEX) and it is good for travel all day.

For a decent meal in E, many would recommend One Flew South.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and the other E SC with good tarmac views is the one that opens later, at 2 pm.

rwoman likes this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep - I believe the other one by TGIF opens at 6am.

7. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd say, it's worth the money. FWIW, however, there are a couple PP lounges in ATL. If you have PP, then I'd say it is not worth the money.

8. firstglobal

firstglobal Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is a lot of time to hang out at ATL. If I had your itinerary, I'd take the subway downtown to either Five Points (and wander around the city or Underground Atlanta depending on the weather) or if I were hungry to Midtown and go to Vortex ;) If you're determined to stay in the airport, though, you can't do better than the SCs in Terminal E. I also second the recommendation for One Flew South - I find their service to be spotty and their portions to be diminutive, but it's still one of the best restaurants in a US airport.

9. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I second going into town for the layover. However I do not recommend spending your time at Underground (it has been going downhill for ages) but instead do the CNN center/world of Coke (Philips Arena/GA Dome/GWCC Marta station). If you are a shopping person, then go to Lenox Square (Lenox Station).

DeltaExpert likes this.
  10. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even w/AMEX it's a day pass for $25

Well worth it of you have that much time.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another idea near CNN Center is the Atlanta Aquarium, one of the very best. Outdoor along the way you will find Olympic Park. Note, the CNN Center MARTA station is close to another stations, IIRC Peachtree Center, which is just several blocks uphill, in the center of downtown and a transfer station. It might make sense to enjoy the walk toward CNN Center (look for the Omni Hotel signage on the building) rather than doing the subway transfer.

To go to upscale Lennox Mall in Buckhead, you can either take a MARTA train to the Lennox station or take the other branch and get off at Buckhead (at the W Buckhead) walk downhill toward the Westin, follow its building around the far corner and cross the parking lot into the mall near PRIME, a favorite restaurant of the FF crowd where one can get steak, sushi, and a wide variety of other items (moderately expensive, but very reasonable compared to steakhouse restaurants).

DeltaExpert and rwoman like this.
  12. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    Showers! Which E lounge? Also, do they provide shampoo, conditioner, soap, hair dryers, towels and a locker? Yes, you can see I've never showered at a Sky Club or any airline club. Thanks.

13. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I forget which one has the showers, but yes everything is provided. The water pressure is also good. Just sign up for a shower right away (first come/first served). I would suggest you leave luggage in the bins and bring only the clothes you're going to change into (the shower stalls are SMALL).

AF and BA (in CDG and LHR respectively) have nice showers. KLM's AMS Crown Lounge is decent sized also.

Dave

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The showers are in the first SC you pass when exiting the little train between terminals, the one that's near the fast food joints and is open in the morning. Once it was full and they were directing everyone to the other E SC, the one around the corner that's the former BE lounge and I had to argue to get in, but there was no wait for the shower.

You don't need a locker as the private shower stall is located within a small room, certainly lockable from the inside, for dressing and storing belongings while you shower. They provide towels and toiletries, not great ones so I try to plan ahead and bring my own preferred brands in my carry on. I'm not sure whether there's a hair dryer within the shower private area or whether it's found in the rest room area, but I'm sure there's something available, at worst by asking at the desk to borrow it.

So many airports, so many showers that one tends to confuse them. I'm not sure whether there's a toilet within the shower private changing rooms in ATL or not and I'm not sure how generous the ATL SC is about towels. In some lounge showers, I've used my dirty clothes, such as tee shirts, as bath mats to avoid stepping onto bare floor when exiting the shower. Nevertheless, you can count on a clean enclosure (SOP is to clean it after every use in just about every airport lounge that offers showers) and at least minimal towels and other supplies. Enjoy!

Exiled in Express likes this.
  15. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
  16. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    A 30 day membership is available at the club for $90, can make the per visit cost quite acceptable. :)

17. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lately when I log on to OLCI, the day pass is available for $39 as opposed to $50, so if you decide to purchase the pass, it's worth it to wait unless you have reason not to do so. It could be a Medallion benefit, though I have seen it mentioned by others on MP.

18. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    The other option, check to see who is in ATL and see if someone will sponsor you in.

19. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind.. as mentioned earlier.. the 25$ Amex visit with a DL Amex is not a day pass, but only a single visit at the club you pay.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  20. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm always amused when they offer me this at OLCI....not surprising there is an IT bug that does not identify I do not need this offer as a DM....

MSPeconomist likes this.
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been offered the day pass for purchase when doing OLCI for TPAC BE. I've also been offered a buy-up to FC on a CRJ-200. Funny, but I wonder how much revenue DL makes from people who don't know to laugh.

rwoman and ryandc99 like this.
  22. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you go into town, which I'd say you should with that much time, go eat at The Varsity. Get a slaw dog if you don't want the chili and you MUST get onion rings...ah I miss living in the ATL...

http://www.thevarsity.com/locations.php?action=view&store_id=9
    From Marta: On the North-South Line, get off at North Ave. station and go west on North Ave. until you see The Varsity on the right.

North avenue is North of the Five Points station.

Also, if you go to CNN/Centennial Olympic Park you can walk up Marietta Street from the Five Points stations very easily. That way you can look at Underground if you want. PM me too if you want, I lived a year right at Five Points. A lot of fun living in the heart of ATL.

23. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is only 1 left - the CO lounge.

24. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone been to the new A17 club?