Is $300 Adequate Compensation for a Cancelled International Flight?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by iloveawardtravel, Jan 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Is $300 Adequate Compensation for a Cancelled International Flight?

1. Too Little

65.4%
  2. Too Much

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sounds About Right

34.6%
  1. iloveawardtravel
    Original Member

iloveawardtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    My recent flight from Buenos Aires to Dallas was cancelled due to mechanical problems about 3.5 hours after the scheduled departure time. AA provided overnight accommodations and rescheduled our flight to the same time the next day. I managed to rebook myself on an earlier flight the next day and called the taxi company AA told us to use for the return airport transportation. However, they did not come pick me up. Also, during the whole ordeal, AA did not provide us with any water or food vouchers.

When I inquired about the reimbursement process at the Buenos Aires airport, the AA staff shrugged me off and did not really want to deal with me. This was my first international flight on AA and the overall experience was a major service failure for me on many levels. My friend was on the same flight 6 weeks ago and it too got cancelled for mechanical problems.

I just received a response to the online complaint I submitted. AA is offering me a $300 e-voucher for the inconvenience. Is this considered adequate compensation for a cancelled international flight?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Status with AA? Coach ticket? Any upgrade and with so, how? Miles,eVIPs, etc.? was the flight you rebooked yourself onto operated and/or marketed by AA? Cost of the change? How much later did your flight arrive?

3. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you provide more information about your circumstances you will get a well reasoned response from someone.

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends. How much are you actually out? How much is your time worth? And would you have rather flown on a plane with a maintenance problem? All things to consider...

5. iloveawardtravel
    Original Member

iloveawardtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    To provide more background:
    • I have Platinum status with AA
    • Ticket was booked on coach. No upgrades.
    • Rebooked flight was on AA in coach. $0 change fee. Rebooked flight arrived in Los Angeles 15 hours after original flight. This caused me to miss a personal flight I booked on Southwest to Phoenix to celebrate Chinese New Year with my family.
    • The total extra costs I paid out of pocket because of the flight cancellation was about $80 USD for meals and transportation back to the airport.

hulagrrl210 and alohastephen like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think AA should have provided meals and transportation. I would submit the receipt for reimbursement. The $300 voucher seems reasonable to me as an "apology" (though is it AA's policy that you have to beg them for it?). There is no way they can replace the New Years celebration. It's one of the risks we all take with air transportation -- sometimes things just don't go the way we planned.

7. ByeByeDelta

ByeByeDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    Between the canceled flight, no-show taxi, lack of food vouchers, and 15 hour delay, I would not be happy with a $300 electronic apology. At the least I would expect reimbursement for expenses they should have covered plus the voucher. $500 for an overnight mechanical cancellation would make me much happier. I once saw $800 plus a hotel offered to bump off an oversold international flight. Naturally, I had to make the flight and couldn't take them up on the offer.

hulagrrl210 and iloveawardtravel like this.
  8. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll take "sounds about right" for $300, Alex. Obviously, the M/X was AA's fault. They provided you with a hotel and rescheduled you, so they got that part right. I know that AA told you to take that particular taxi company, but I don't blame AA for the cab's failure to show up. Likewise, I'm really sorry you missed your celebration. Family stuff is important to me, so I know how you feel. Having said that, AA's not going to compensate you for a connection to a different carrier.

All in all, you are clearly owed compensation for your extra day in B.A. and it drives me nuts when customer service agents view customers as the problem, rather than the reason they have a job. Just using the "stick a wet finger in the air" method, I'm going with "about right." Oh, that "about right" does not exclude AA from having to reimburse you for your $80 in expenses.

Mike

9. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    What you should have gotten for a mechanical cancellation:
    1. Hotel voucher.
    2. Food vouchers for meals for all normal eating times until your departure.
    3. Taxi vouchers if hotel shuttle not available.
    4. Miles for the inconvenience. Typically, this situation results in 10-15,000 miles, which I would value at $100-150. So if you got a $300 voucher in place of the $100-150 in miles and $80 in expenses, I would say you came out ahead of the game.

tom911 and iloveawardtravel like this.
  10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received 15,000 miles for 24 hour delay due to a mechanical last year in Brussels and I had to write in and request that. I'm surprised they're putting $300 vouchers on the table. As it was an e-voucher it has me wondering that there might be a change afoot on international delays, and that maybe e-vouchers will take the place of miles. Only time and other reports will tell.

iloveawardtravel likes this.