Is 100% bonus buying points good?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by daninstl, Jul 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got a targeted offer link though an email that allows me to buy points with IHG with 100% bonus so 8,000 points cost about $108 and I get another 8,000 for 16,000 total. In my world that gives me a 15,000 night room which typically cost about $90 to $130. Is it a good deal? I can't make up my mind. Maybe a little better if I buy them with my wife's Chase Priority card. Also I wonder if these count toward Platinum for next year?

Sorry I can't share the link I tried to log in using my wife's number and it only works for my account number :)

uggboy likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    In a word YES, however it also depends on how you plan to use them.
    Apply the above purchased points to a pointbreak propertry with a $100+ nighlty rate and you are doing well!

viguera likes this.
  3. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    All points normally count toward status so I would yes!
    Is it a good deal. $108 for 16000 points, Not really sure myself.
    But if you can get three point breaks nights for you points that would make it a good deal. three nights for $108.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually when you pay with points, you don't pay tax or service charges on the hotel room rate, so the $100 rate that you pay with points costs you more like $115, although you do not earn points on the room paid with points.

Can you reserve the hotels and dates you want for points redemptions?

5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    This offer seems to work out to 0.675 cents per point. According to Million Mile Secrets, IHG values their points at 0.6 cents (see description here -> http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/...ints-trick-to-get-upto-50-discount-on-hotels/). So this is not the best deal.

6. kebibl18

kebibl18 Active Member

Status Points:
    I also got this offer. However, you can purchase up to 50,000 with 50,000 free. Cost works out to $575 for 100,000 miles. Unless my math is wrong, this works out to .58 cents a mile. So each 5000 points works out to $28.75. This is great if you can get a points break room for 5000 a night, but not to great if your going to be using them on a $150 nt hotel that costs 25,000 points. It might also be great for some of the more expensive rooms that are 25-35K a night. Since the deal is good until the end of July, I am going to wait until the Pointbreaks come out. Hopefully, before the end if July. It would also be good if you need the points to maintain/earn status. The offer says it is non-transferable? Wonder if it really is, since I have been able to sign up for many other promotions that were "targeted", but not to me!!!

FishMN likes this.
  7. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
  8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point! Paying cash for points usually makes sense only when you have a specific reservation coming up, and it's less expensive than a standard payment.

9. Globalflyer
    Original Member

Globalflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The book and cancel C + P method now costs .7 cents per point. Based on that and since these points count towards status I'd say it's an excellent deal! Unfortunately I'm not targetted :(.

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never believed that buying points towards a future unspecified stay was a good idea. If you need the points to reach the next tier that's one thing, or perhaps to bulk up your balance because you have a particular reward you want to book, but to buy points because they're "cheap" never seemed like a good idea -- to me anyway.

But if you're already Platinum and already qualified through 2013 and have a bunch of points in your account, then unless you have something planned and need to bulk up the balance, what's the point? The purchase won't elevate you to another level and your points won't count towards the Platinum race later, so there's little value there.

IHG is the undisputed champion of easy and cheap point accumulation, so that's also another reason NOT to buy if you can help it. Between the crazy (stacking) promos, bonus points, and Platinum bonus you can easily turn an upcoming paid stay into that many points with little effort.

And if you find a hotel with those extra bonus points per stay (I've seen them up to 5k) then it's even easier.

Pete likes this.
  11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not of the opinion that 0.075 cents per point, or about $37.50 for 50,000 points, is quite worth the time and effort. If you can outright buy the points you want for 0.675 cents each without the hassle, go ahead and do it. And as others have noted, the actual cost of buying them through C+P has since gone up, and you might not want to buy points unless you expect to benefit from them soon.

12. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mr. Nacho and I took the offer and we bought 50k x2 in total (200k in total with bonus). We don't have many points to start with - we don't pay $ to stay at IHG hotels because they are quite expensive and Marriott has Megabonus most of the year so we are normally staying at Marriott on cash - they have LNF and 10% off GC offers so they work out cheaper than IHG hotels.

IHG points can be very useful if you are using them in expensive location like Hong Kong. They have 3 -4 new properties opening and the HIXs there are only 15k per night. Cash price for those rooms starts at around USD 130 or so, so 15k is a great bargain.

PB is a good use of IHG points too, although I don't think I'll make use of it this round.

uggboy likes this.