IRS to (potentially) Refund Fed Excise Taxes

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by travlr, Jul 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. travlr

travlr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Per IRS article here

This is pretty interesting. Airlines are SUPPOSE to refund the taxes paid for travel during this period. However, just in case they don't, IRS is providing a way to get a refund by submitting a claim to them. There just aren't set up for it yet. They'll hopefully be announcing soon how to submit a claim.

The interesting thing will be to see what Congress does when they finally figure something out. I wonder what would happen if you buy a ticket now, and then fly after the tax is reinstated. They could technically make you pay tax. Also, it's annoying members of Congress that airlines increased fares to make up tax difference. Interesting times.. :p

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great find! I've got award travel coming up that I'll see if I can get some $$$ back on!

Sagy and jbcarioca like this.
  3. ThatCase

ThatCase Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is amazing to me is the negative pub the airlines are getting for this when it is the fault of congress. Had our esteemed representatives stepped away from their third grade personas for a few hours and done their jobs, this would not have happened.

Remember the baggage fees for the soldiers ... airlines took the publicity hit even though the expense was a legally reimbursable expense under government policies. The government should have advanced the fees to the soldiers. Oh well, I guess we as flying taxpayers pay either way.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What the airlines SHOULD get a LOT of negative press for is how they raised the fares overnight to effectively claim those tax "savings" for their own coffers.

JohnDeere19, Sagy, aitchly and 2 others like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should not Congress be blamed for doing their infantile posturing? The excise tax, after all, pays for air system improvements. All the work is stopped now, so the cost of starting up the infrastructure again (towers, runways...) will raise the end costs. It is fairly obvious that a loud minority of representatives and Senators would prefer to see the US infrastructure get even worse rather than let a penny be spent on a public service. Whatever the outcome the US will be worse off after than is was before.:mad:

HaveMilesWillTravel and rwoman like this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean they're supposed to GOVERN and act in the best interests of the people who elected them and pay their paychecks...regardless of political affiliation??? What fun would that be?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got word from WN (bolding mine):

>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

We received your request for a refund of the Federal Excise Tax and Segment Fees associated with the Southwest reservation(s) you purchased. Customers who purchased a reservation on or after July 23, 2011, 12:01 a.m. PDT, are not currently being charged for the expired taxes. However, Customers who purchased a ticket prior to July 23, 2011, 12:01 a.m. PDT, and whose travel dates fall during the time the taxes are expired, may be eligible to receive a refund for the expired taxes after travel has been completed.

Although we do not have a timeframe for the date Congress will reinstate these taxes, which previously appeared as part of a Customer's ticket price, the airlines are currently working with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to determine which taxes, if any, will be eligible for a refund. In the meantime, Southwest is working to establish procedures that will allow us to refund the eligible taxes.

Once we've determined what taxes will be refunded, if the reservation you purchased qualifies for a tax refund, we will proactively contact you to provide details regarding the refund procedure. We appreciate your patronage of Southwest Airlines, and we look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

<<<<<<

Gargoyle and Sagy like this.
  8. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congress has decided no refunds will be given