IRROPS-very strange-need some opinions please

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by broncob, Nov 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. broncob
    Original Member

broncob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a question. DH was on a MR. Here is the original routing: 1. MSP-YYZ-AMS-WAW-AMS-YYZ-MSP booked in T class. A couple of days before there was a problem with the return and he was rebooked 2. WAW-CDG-ATL-MSP into Y class, outbound stayed the same. Then, on the day of the flight, there was weather in MSP which delayed his flight and would have caused him to miss his YYZ-AMS connection. So, he go off the delayed plane (in MSP-it had come back to the gate) and was rebooked MSP-CDG-WAW in Y class. He does the run, gets home, a few days go by and all of his segments show up except CDG-WAW. So I called today and after some checking, the agent tells me that they will credit him his original route (which was actually the 2 routing above) even though he did not fly that. She said that is what they do when there is an irrop. This really seems strange to me to credit him for flights he did not fly (not to mention losing the Y class bookings), but maybe others have had this experience? Should I call again? Right now DH has a lot of 'pending' items in his skymiles account because they said it would take a day or so to 'correct'.

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    They call this original routing credit; not the least bit unusual, especially when IRROPS happen and rerouted a shorter distance due to fewer connections. :) although I am not sure of the exact difference in this case...

3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    perfectly normal

brfort likes this.
  4. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely normal (you have to fly to get the miles, but the routing could be different...if you just cancel because of IROPS, no miles). DL's computers are pretty good about distinguishing class paid/flown, so even if he was rebooked into Y because of the IROPS, he probably would only have been credited for the T fare.

brfort and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    On a number of occasions I've contacted them after miles post to request original routing credit; this is when the irrops re-routing results in less miles, and I make sure I get the full original miles.

It's all normal.

brfort and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  6. broncob
    Original Member

broncob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, thanks. DH has not had a lot of irrops experiences and certainly none for this long of a flight so I just was not certain.

JosephMay likes this.
  7. broncob
    Original Member

broncob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought this was the case, but his account showed the credit for the Y class bookings.

8. broncob
    Original Member

broncob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok-I should say that DH has not had a lot of irrops experiences that resulted in such a different routing over such a long trip. So far he has been pretty lucky flying his TPAC's and TATL's. However, flying out of MSP he has had plenty of irrops-yeah snowtown! :)

9. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL is actually pretty decent about giving the original credit, when asked esp if in the customer's favor. This is also esp true when you explain the reason for the routing was mileage IME.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    My two cents...it's actually IROPS :) One R, not two. Delta pronounces it eye-rops.

-RM

DeltaExpert likes this.
  11. 1. Several times after IROPS re-routing I asked for original routing credit (for example LAX-HNL-NRT instead of LAX-NRT), but sometimes I DID NOT. If the booking code after several reissue of the tickets is changed from T to Y (very rare, but indeed happened this year with one of my bookings), I would probably wait to see how much I would get from new routing and if it would be accounted as real Y/Y (flown/booked). Then after simple math comparing new route in Y with original in LUT I can decide if I should call/write DL or just keep it as is.
    2. Very often I have AF segments credited a few days (5-7) later than everything else. For sure I would not call/write to DL about non-DL segment during first 2 weeks.