IROPS protection = deleted valid segment

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Jun 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday I was flying SEA-IAD-MUC-xxx when my SEA-IAD went mechanical and they had to bring over another plane to take us to IAD. We eventually make it to IAD arriving at 5:19pm (originally scheduled for 4:03pm) and my flight to MUC was departing at 5:32pm. While still in SEA I noticed I was automatically protected on IAD-FRA-xxx in coach no less (I was on an upgraded IAD-MUC segment and was ready to battle in IAD when I got there).

I run to the MUC gate and they were holding the flight for several SEA passengers apparently as I got on the plane with my original seat assignment. Nice work IAD!

When I get to MUC I look up my reservation and notice that not only did someone remove the IAD-FRA-xxx segments they also removed a valid segment halfway through my itinerary. WTF is up with that? On June 15 I'm flying xxx-SFO-BOI and on June 17 BOI-SFO-xxx. For some reason the SFO-BOI segment was removed by the airport.

A call to UA got it sorted pretty quickly but then the phone agent put me on hold to talk to a supervisor in ticketing because she couldn't get the ticket to re-issue. In fact she came back on the phone and told me the ticket would automatically re-sync after my outbound flights drop from the ticket. I'm very suspicious about this but I guess I'll know in the next day or so when the outbound flights drop if the ticket does re-sync. Otherwise I see a problem trying to get out of Europe and to BOI on the 15th.

Has anyone else seen this happen where a segment is mistakenly dropped from an itinerary that had nothing to do with the IROPS protection? And what about the ticket not syncing?

Thanks,
    RM

2. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've dealt with segments dropping due to irrops and agent errors. I am not so sure about parts of your ticket getting back into sync when your other segments become part of flight history, but then again I don't work in reservations.

Flyer1976 and desamo like this.
  3. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's an effect that has been discussed previously where, during irrops, (1) a new "protection" segment is added to your itinerary to help you get to your destination if you miss your original flight; (2) you take your original flight and "miss" your protection flight; (3) then CO inventory management automatically cancels all your downline segments because you've "missed a flight on your itinerary".

Did you confirm that only part of your downline trip was cancelled, and that you didn't have your entire ticket rendered invalid for onward travel?

4. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the only segment removed from the itinerary was the SFO-BOI flight.

What I did notice on the IROPS protection flights is that they added them to the end of the itinerary instead of in chronological order...which I was thankful for. Because I knew that if I didn't take that IAD-FRA protected flight that the entire rest of the ticket would probably have cancelled out.

It's just mind boggling that the SFO-BOI segment got dropped which is not even at the beginning or end of the remaining ticket...it's right in the middle.

Good news is I was able to OLCI for the SK segment I have today which is still in the ticket.

-RM