Irish Rail reveals ambitions for Dublin Airport

Discussion in 'DUB | Dublin Airport' started by uggboy, Jan 29, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Irish Rail reveals ambitions for Dublin Airport

Newscience and tom911 like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anything would be an improvement. Ireland has the poorest rail system in Europe considering the current lack of island wide coverage I would think Eu 300 would be probably only provide something like two a day service even to the four destinations listed.:)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    blackjack-21 and uggboy like this.
  3. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably much more comfortable then busing it to Belfast, assuming the timing is similar and fares competitive with the buses. If they can schedule the trains to meet most of the early morning arrivals and departures from/to NA they'd have a winner, IMO, although the lack of frequencies versus the bus trips may be problematic for some. It says "direct", so one would hope no change of trains via downtown Dublin needed.

uggboy and jackplum like this.
  4. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heading to Galway, I am not sure the train could be an improvement over the excellent bus service. I love trains but those buses are just the best.

Flyer1976, uggboy and blackjack-21 like this.
  5. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Driving is even better if you can do it. Years ago we landed in SNN and picked up a rental car for a trip all over Ireland. Loads of fun getting used to driving on the "wrong" side, with the stick shift now on the left and my wife yelling "get over get over, you drive on the other side over here". Getting stuck circling those roundabouts forever made it even more interesting, but those wonderful, very narrow country roads along the way, with frequent stops for the herds of cows and sheep on the road, and lots of friendly waves and smiles from people passing by, made it all worth the effort. From Limerick where we stopped for our first breakfast after we landed (wonderfully different breads and scones), all the way to Galway (gorged on way too many prawns) and up along the coast, then over to Belfast for a few days, and all the way down to Cork, with a stop along the way near Dublin to visit an old friend from my Wall St. days, it was a fun and unforgettable trip for us.

Flyer1976 and uggboy like this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    What did you think of Limerick? I'm thinking of doing two dialysis sessions there this May so that would be a home base for three nights. (the other option is Galway)

blackjack-21 and uggboy like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed the bus connections at least for now beat the train connections by a mile, they're better timed, more frequent and more affordable too.

8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    To connect the major towns and cities of Ireland from the airport that's the plan, but we will have to wait what will happen in reality and how it all comes together, a best case scenario would involve direct connections from DUB to Galway, Cork, Belfast while Dublin itself should be connected via Metro. I equally hope that all connections are "state of the art", meaning modern, high speed and reliable at all times. As said, we will see how it goes, overall they're going into the right direction and Ireland needs a more modern / connected / affordable train system in the future to meet future demand and 21st century expectations.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  9. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take Galway over Limerick

Vibrant city with lots to do - great food and music
    Easy trip to the Aran Islands as well (a must see)

10. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, can't comment on Limerick itself as we only stopped on the outskirts there for a wonderful breakfast, shortly after arriving on a TATL from JFK. Picked up a rental car at SNN and started driving to our first night's stop in Galway.

I agree with Jack that Galway is an interesting, fun town, with good food, and right on the water which makes sightseeing even more interesting. But that trip was long ago, in 1971, so much has probably changed over the years, including the pub where we had our dinner there, upstairs over the bar and sharing a table with a local couple. The large prawns were delicious.

jackplum, uggboy and iolaire like this.
  11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've changed buses a lot in Limerick over the years, and one time had a few hours for a walkabout. It strikes me as a working class city without much in terms of tourism. Even when AA was flying from Shannon I ended up staying in Six Mile Bridge, a small stop in the road with some B&B's and one small hotel/hostel, but with morning bus service to the airport (which probably started in Limerick).

I love Galway. If you can make that work over Limerick, you won't be disappointed. Quite a few Galway photos from past visits on this page:
    http://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Ireland

[​IMG]

iolaire, blackjack-21 and uggboy like this.
  12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's nothing like dealing with a triple roundabout and gunning it on that turn you want to make. ;)

blackjack-21, uggboy and jackplum like this.
  13. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:

Absolutely! Driving into Galway there is one stretch where there is a roundabout every 100 meters it seems

Flyer1976, blackjack-21 and uggboy like this.
  14. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Almost as much fun (confusing) as driving into London on our first driving trip through the UK a few years later. After somehow getting close to our hotel I kept missing it by turning onto several different one way streets trying to get closer to it and then crossing a few bridges over the Thames trying to get back to the same location several times. This was before the days of GPS, but we had a good map of London and I thought I knew where we had to go, although the map didn't show the streets as being one-ways, as I found out much too late. Finally as the sun was beginning to set, I got us to our hotel, albeit many hours later then expected.

uggboy likes this.
  15. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    Similar in Grenada - we drove from Tarifa and headed to the hotel which said in the fine brochure that you could drop your baggage off in front. No one mentioned that you had exit the street and to drive down a sidewalk for two blocks. I finally parked the car and had a taxi take us there.

uggboy likes this.
  16. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't have to go to London to have that experience. Ever drove in Boston?:)

uggboy, jackplum and Flyer1976 like this.
  17. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aye Laddie! :p

uggboy and jackplum like this.