Irish hotels warned of wifi security threat

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by uggboy, Dec 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Irish hotels warned of wifi security threat

sobore and Sammich like this.
  2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Glad the hotels finally got a warning out for this.

This issue has existed since day 1 when wifi came out - I managed to replicate it on a home network myself. Took about 10 minutes to set-up. It's a known issue with non-wifi encryption. (Used by many hotels) Even with WPA/2 security, as long as the hacker has the shared password given out by the hotel, he can still access everything. This is an issue that not only hotels share, but all public wifi-spots in cafes, coffee house...restaurants. You name it. HTTPS (that lock on your browser) does nothing when you're wireless security is compromised.

At my organization we avoided this problem implementing WPA2 Enterprise, which uses independent user logins and encryption keys.'s costly to set-up, and most hotels won't go for that solution. Besides, they would have to generate independent logins for each visitor.

Best thing people can do right now is login to a VPN (personal or corporate) right after you login to the hotel's wireless network. That's what I've been doing since. Some personal VPN's go for less than 10 bucks a month, quite cheap if you're always on the road.
    uggboy likes this.