Irish airline apologises after making Greek woman prove her nationality

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by sobore, Mar 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/tra...rish-nationality/story-e6frg8ro-1226298863855

AN Irish airline has apologised for forcing a Greek woman living in Ireland to complete a language test in her native tongue to demonstrate that her passport and nationality were genuine.

Aer Lingus said in response to Associated Press questions it has suspended the year-old language tests with immediate effect.

The Dublin airline says the UK Border Agency provided the tests to quiz any passengers suspected by check-in staff of travelling on forged Greek passports. Those unable to show fluency in Greek would be refused permission to board.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/tra...rish-nationality/story-e6frg8ro-1226298863855

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad this "nanny state" tests are now suspended!:eek:

3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is this "nanny statism"? Seems to me to be the opposite — anti-immigrant hysteria (although I believe that Greece is, in fact, a major entry point for undocumented aliens into Europe so the hysteria may derive from a real issue).

4. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's still a crappy way to treat customers and a few short steps away from virginity, paternity and HIV tests.

uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto! +1!

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, it's just that we shouldn't assign blame to the wrong segment of society.

PhlyingRPh likes this.